Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Why Did You Do This, God?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Faiths Ask of Quake: 'Why Did You Do This, God?'
It is one of the oldest, most profound questions, posed by some of the most learned minds of every faith throughout the course of human history.

It was put eloquently this week by an old woman in a devastated village in southern India's Tamil Nadu state. "Why did you do this to us, God?" she wailed. "What did we do to upset you?" Perhaps no event in living memory has confronted so many of the world's great religions with such a basic test of faith as this week's tsunami, which indiscriminately slaughtered Indonesian Muslims, Indian Hindus, Thai and Sri Lankan Buddhists and tourists who were Christians and Jews.
What was the role of god and the asian earthquake disaster?
How could a benevolent god visit such horror on ordinary people?
Was the disaster an "expression of God's great ire with the world"?

RevJP
Scholar

Post #2

Post by RevJP »

He created the world many eons ago. That must mean it was His fault.
Why must we assume that an act of nature was designed and implemented by Him? Is there some established law somewhere that states nothing can happen in this world unless God is actively involved?
Scripture tells us that when the time is right Christ will return. Visiting catastrophe on a people to show His ire is not His MO since before the first century.

My sympathy for those who are hurt by disaster and accidents, but things happen, bad things; and bad things happen to good people. But it doesn't mean God did it, it simply means something bad happened.

hannahjoy
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by hannahjoy »

Why must we assume that an act of nature was designed and implemented by Him? Is there some established law somewhere that states nothing can happen in this world unless God is actively involved?

My sympathy for those who are hurt by disaster and accidents, but things happen, bad things; and bad things happen to good people. But it doesn't mean God did it, it simply means something bad happened.
Psalm 135:6-7
6 Whatsoever the LORD pleased, that did He in heaven, and in earth, in the seas, and all deep places.
7 He causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth; He maketh lightnings for the rain; He bringeth the wind out of his treasuries.

Deuteronomy 32:39
See now that I, even I, am He, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.

I Samuel 2:6-7
6 The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: He bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up.
7 The LORD maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up.

Job 2:10
But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.

Ecclesiastes 7:13-14
13 Consider the work of God: for who can make that straight, which he hath made crooked?
14 In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider: God also hath set the one over against the other, to the end that man should find nothing after him.

Isaiah 45:5-9
5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:
6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
8 Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.
9 Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?

Lamentations 3:37-38
37 Who is he that saith, and it cometh to pass, when the Lord commandeth it not?
38 Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good?

Amos 3:6
Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?

Not that God causes sin, but He is responsible for what we call "bad things" happening to people.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Re: Why Did You Do This, God?

Post #4

Post by Piper Plexed »

I see Gods responsibility for the Quake similar to his responsibility for us and the rest of the life that inhabits earth, as it is all his creation. It is the living earths nature to change to maintain itself and adapt, unfortunately in the process it can and does negatively effect the inhabitants, just as the inhabitants can and do negatively effect the earth through the course of our existence. The first thing that comes to my mind when considering the living earth and our relation to it is that it most likely would not be able to support life at all if it wasn't as adaptable as it is.
I believe God mourns with us. I also believe God is saddened when we take the innocent life of an animal or a plant to sustain our lives. All of earth is his creation. To me life is like a GREAT SYMPHONY at times beautiful and joyful and other times tragic and cruel, the key is that there must be harmony, rhythm a balance and God is the conductor.
No, I believe it is the nature of life.

My thoughts are with the victims and I pray for them.
Last edited by Piper Plexed on Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

itiswritten

Why did you do this God?

Post #5

Post by itiswritten »

Lets not all forget that evil (bad) does not come from God but from evil,
However God is present-all the volunteers and helpers on and off site are evidence that god cares.

Such show of compasion! may God bless you all!

ENIGMA
Sage

Re: Why did you do this God?

Post #6

Post by ENIGMA »

itiswritten wrote: However God is present-all the volunteers and helpers on and off site are evidence that god cares.
No, it's evidence that they care. As the tsunami is evidence that the universe as a whole, doesn't care.

Why do you find it so difficult to give credit where credit is clearly due?
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

itiswritten

Post #7

Post by itiswritten »

ENIGMA wrote:
itiswritten wrote: However God is present-all the volunteers and helpers on and off site are evidence that god cares.
No, it's evidence that they care. As the tsunami is evidence that the universe as a whole, doesn't care.

Why do you find it so difficult to give credit where credit is clearly due?
The "universe as a whole" sounds like "central control" or something with the power to turn on or off, its illogical and incomprehension able, The "universe could only be God, Praise Him, He does care for he is love.

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #8

Post by ENIGMA »

itiswritten wrote: The "universe as a whole" sounds like "central control" or something with the power to turn on or off, its illogical and incomprehension able, The "universe could only be God, Praise Him, He does care for he is love.
It's quite simple really. Every physical law is utterly amoral.

It could have been that physical laws are suspended to protect the innocent from harms way.

But they aren't...

Regardless of what your holy book, your pastor, or Keanu Reaves would have you believe, bullets do not stop for the righteous. Neither do Earthquakes, or Hurricanes.

Neither do Tsunamis.

The universe apparently could care less about our existance, but we can and should care for each other, for if we do not, then nothing will.
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

otseng
Savant

Post #9

Post by otseng »

ENIGMA wrote: It's quite simple really. Every physical law is utterly amoral.
I agree.

Just some other thoughts. When bad things happen, why don't people ask, "Why did evil forces do this?" Or when good things happen, why don't people often ask, "Why did God do this?" And when disasters strike, why are they called "acts of God" instead of "acts of the devil"? :-k

Zoot
Student

Post #10

Post by Zoot »

And when disasters strike, why are they called "acts of God" instead of "acts of the devil"?
If someone knew it was going to happen and had the power to stop it, then he made a decision not to stop it, which amounts to a decision to make it happen.

If the Devil knew it was going to happen and had the power to stop it, then he made a decision that amounts to making it happen. No one asks, "Why?!", because the Devil is a nasty fellow. Doing horrible things is to be expected.

God, on the other hand, is the one people say is nice.