A thought

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Mydian
Apprentice

A thought

Post #1

Post by Mydian »

I am looking for input here on whether my thinking is sound or not. From what I have seen here the vast amount proof stated about the existence of "God" Or "Jesus" seems to only be from the bible. This lack of other sources would seem to indicate that it is at best a myth or exaggeration of events that transpired in order to put forth their, meaning the writers, ideas about God. However, from what I have read, the ideas that Christ embodied were not new ideas. That other older societies had the same type of "Saviour" of humanity. That perhaps the "Christianity" of today grew from these older sources and has long since forgotten its roots or these roots have been ignored.

OK thats the first thought on to thought two lol.

The thing that irritates me about Christians is their inane assumption they are right. If there was only one teaching of Christ then why are the so many differing interpretations of the bible by Christians? If the bible was divinely written as most say then why would God allow so many different interpretations? If i was God i know i would want to make damn sure people knew what I meant.
In my opinion the most they can say, much like science does, is that each religious doctrine is a theory not set in stone and not right, but an interpretation by "MAN" as to the meaning of the bible.

Just had to get that off my chest lol.

If anyone sees any fault with the way I am thinking please let me know. Or if you have suggestions about where I might learn more i would greatly appreciate it.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: A thought

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

Mydian wrote: That other older societies had the same type of "Saviour" of humanity. That perhaps the "Christianity" of today grew from these older sources and has long since forgotten its roots or these roots have been ignored.
Might I suggest THE PAGAN CHRIST: Rediscovering the Lost Light, by Tom Harpur, as a place to start. This is a link to reviews of the book on Tom's site. There are some serious shortcomings in this book, he really does overstate his case, but it is an easy to read overview of this subject, by a Christian theologian.
Wayne A. Holst, parish educator at St. David's United Church, Calgary. wrote:Mel Gibson's Passion, or Spong and Borg notwithstanding, Harpur offers a post-literal and a post-critical approach to the study of Jesus. It is one that takes myth seriously. Though it will not be the last or even the most precise word on the subject, it challenges thinking and opens new vistas to the serious religious thinker.
Available new from Amazon for CDN$16.75.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Mydian
Apprentice

thanks

Post #3

Post by Mydian »

Thanks Mculloch i will look into it ;)