Lot's two virgin daughters thrown to the mob

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Angel song

Lot's two virgin daughters thrown to the mob

Post #1

Post by Angel song »

In Genesis 19:1-11 we read that Lot threw his two virgin daughters to the mob of Sodom to do with as they pleased rather than have his two male guests violated.

I'm at a loss as to how to explain his actions (not to mention the ethics of his act) given that virginity was highly prized at that time and not being a virgin virtually made a previously unmarried female unmarriageable.

Okay, I'm aware that the societal culture was highly patriarchal at that time in history but I still can't really understand his actions or how we should interpret this particular piece of scripture today.

Can anyone offer some insights?

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Lot's two virgin daughters thrown to the mob

Post #21

Post by Goat »

Sonofason wrote: [Replying to post 19 by Goat]

Goat wrote:
If you break the 'laws of men', you break the laws of the New Testament.
Exactly. If you obey God, you will never be held in judgement by anyone.

Well, can't say that is TRUE. Your claim you 'experience god' is not anything more than a claim you can not show to be true. Why you might have an 'experience', you can not show it is 'God'.

AND, you can't show that any 'command' is from God, even if there is a God.

So, that statement is rather.. hum... self serving.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by Sonofason »

Goat wrote:

Goat wrote:

Well, can't say that is TRUE. Your claim you 'experience god' is not anything more than a claim you can not show to be true. Why you might have an 'experience', you can not show it is 'God'.

Yes, my comments as well as all of your comments are completely self serving. You've never proven me wrong, and I can't prove I'm right. Looks like we're stuck in our own personal subjective opinions on this subject.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by Goat »

Sonofason wrote:
Goat wrote:

Goat wrote:

Yes, my comments as well as all of your comments are completely self serving. You've never proven me wrong, and I can't prove I'm right. Looks like we're stuck in our own personal subjective opinions on this subject.

On the contrary. I have shown you actions and claims for your own personal behavior do not match the advice given in the bible.. from your own claims. Now, your claims might not be 'truth', and just chain yanking, but that would against the bible too.

That is the exact opposite behavior that one would expect if one actually EXPERIENCED GOD.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by Sonofason »

Goat wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
Goat wrote:

Goat wrote:

On the contrary. I have shown you actions and claims for your own personal behavior do not match the advice given in the bible.. from your own claims. Now, your claims might not be 'truth', and just chain yanking, but that would against the bible too.

That is the exact opposite behavior that one would expect if one actually EXPERIENCED GOD.
Actually, you haven't shown anything regarding my behavior. You know nothing of my behavior. I did not tell you about my behavior at all. You have not seen my behavior ever, at all. I said I have little regard for men's laws. And I don't. I don't have to worry about men's laws at all. I happen to obey them without even trying. I obey God. And I'd like to think that I am doing that to the best of my ability.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by Goat »

Sonofason wrote:
Goat wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
Goat wrote:

Goat wrote:

Actually, you haven't shown anything regarding my behavior. You know nothing of my behavior. I did not tell you about my behavior at all. You have not seen my behavior ever, at all. I said I have little regard for men's laws. And I don't. I don't have to worry about men's laws at all. I happen to obey them without even trying. I obey God. And I'd like to think that I am doing that to the best of my ability.
WHy, yes we do have examples of your behavior, by your responses here.

Or, don't you think that your responses here are examples of behavior?

Steven Novella

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by Sonofason »

Goat wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
Goat wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
Goat wrote:

Goat wrote:

Then by all means, please cite a few references of what you have learned here about my behavior. Yes, tell me how I behaved at work today. Tell me how I behaved with my family tonight. Please, tell me of my encounters, and my decisions. Please tell me something about me that isn't a crock of you know what.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by Goat »

Sonofason wrote:
Goat wrote:

Then by all means, please cite a few references of what you have learned here about my behavior. Yes, tell me how I behaved at work today. Tell me how I behaved with my family tonight. Please, tell me of my encounters, and my decisions. Please tell me something about me that isn't a crock of you know what.

Why, if you insist. 1) You are being overly belligerent, here. There is a strong amount of ego here. Those traits carry over to the 'real world', even if you are not aware of it.

Steven Novella

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by Sonofason »

Goat wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
Goat wrote:

Why, if you insist. 1) You are being overly belligerent, here. There is a strong amount of ego here. Those traits carry over to the 'real world', even if you are not aware of it.

Well, thanks. That's quite an honor. I do pride myself with my extraordinary belligerence. Thanks for noticing. And of course, my ego is strong. I am the only me around, and I intend on making me count in this life. And I intend on having everyone notice. Thanks. It looks like I'm doing something right.

help3434
Guru

Post #29

Post by help3434 »

Sonofason wrote:
10CC wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
Angel song wrote: In Genesis 19:1-11 we read that Lot threw his two virgin daughters to the mob of Sodom to do with as they pleased rather than have his two male guests violated.

I'm at a loss as to how to explain his actions (not to mention the ethics of his act) given that virginity was highly prized at that time and not being a virgin virtually made a previously unmarried female unmarriageable.

Okay, I'm aware that the societal culture was highly patriarchal at that time in history but I still can't really understand his actions or how we should interpret this particular piece of scripture today.

Perhaps you forget that Lot's daughters never left the house. And Lot did not throw his virgin daughters to the mob as you have said. Perhaps you will recall, that the homosexuals outside the house had no desire for the young women. Perhaps Lot knew that they were homosexuals. How could he not. They wanted to have their way with men. Honestly, offering your virgin daughter to a homosexual is really something of little consequence. Perhaps Lot knew that saying such a thing would not accomplish very much. Perhaps Lot was simply antagonizing those homosexuals outside because of their utter depravity. Who knows? But you should also recall that the daughters remained safe, and the homosexuals outside ended up being smitten with blindness.

Would things have turned out better had Lot tossed the men of God outside to the mob? I think not. I think it all turned out just as it should have. God's ways are always the best ways. Faith in God is unstoppable.
Who said they were homosexuals, according to GOD they were unrighteous and that was why they were destroyed. How does wanting to fornicate with an angel define someone as homosexual? Pretty stupid conclusion, I think.
Besides, good old righteous Lot wanted to fornicate and impregnate his virgin daughters himself.
What a righteous man did your god save. This god of yours considered Lot righteous and destroyed innocent born and unborn babies for their unrighteousness. It is patently obvious from this fable that this god you believe in couldn't tell righteousness from scabies.

Look, heterosexual men who do not have homosexual tendencies do not try to force themselves on other men, even if they were to have the tendencies of a rapist.

It is rumored that this does happen a lot in prisons. Also, have you ever heard of bisexuality?

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #30

Post by Nickman »

Angel song wrote: In Genesis 19:1-11 we read that Lot threw his two virgin daughters to the mob of Sodom to do with as they pleased rather than have his two male guests violated.

I was given a Christian explanation on this forum some years ago. I couldn't find the thread but it went like this. Since Soddom and Gomorrah were homosexual cities, offering his daughters wouldn't have resulted in their rape. I know it is ridiculous.

I just realized that Sonofason said the exact same thing. Lol. Wow.
Last edited by Nickman on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.