What does 1 Thessalonians 4:14 mean?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

What does 1 Thessalonians 4:14 mean?

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

The immediate context is this passage from 1 Thessalonians 4.

13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus.

15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep.
16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.
So, how do you read, what do you understand, is the intended meaning of the words in bold above?

To help us along, tell us whether you see them as primarily referring to verses 13 and 14, or to verses 15 to 17.

Please note however, this thread is not about other issues you may view as being related, such as the details of prophecy.

It is about the fact of the second coming and the resurrection that then occurs.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: What does 1 Thessalonians 4:14 mean?

Post #21

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 17 by Checkpoint]
Checkpoint wrote:There are at least three possibilities that have been claimed: The first is that they will be taken to heaven.
I agree, those that die in Christ will indeed be taken to heaven, God will bring them there. They have to die first of course, a human cannot get to heaven without first dying and being given a spirit body (see 1 Cor 15:44).
Checkpoint wrote:The third reading is that they will be brought back to life in resurrection as Christ had been.
Yes, they will be brought back to life in heaven (when someone dies and the are brought back to life we call that a "resurrection"). They will die on earth and be brought to live in heaven. This will be when God resurrects them in spirit bodies to be with him in heaven. Unless I'm missing something, this not a third option it is effectively option #1 expressed in different words.

No, each of the options is quite different.

You have effectively tried to combine them in saying,
"Yes, they will be brought back to life in heaven".

The resurrection, however, takes plac e on earth, Matthew 25:31-32.

It will be what you said, "as Christ had been". He came back to life on earth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #22

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 21 by Checkpoint]

Oh I see what you mean; no we don't believe that those that will spend eternity in heaven will first have to come back to life on the earth. Jesus showed himself to people on earth for a very particular reason, namely to convince them he was again alive. This was essential to establish the newly born Christian congregation that would be founded on faith in him and his sacrifice.

Such a temporary sejourn on earth will not be necessary for those spirit anointed Christians, they can go to heaven without first having to spend 40 days on the earth, eating fish and talking to people to convince them they have been resurrected.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
Nowhere does Paul say those resurrected will "arrive in heaven".
So? So what?! Are we not here trying to understand what he said? ie take what he wrote and try and deduce what he meant? Logically if anointed Christians are born and live their lives on earth, but will spend eternity in heaven with God, then they will at some point have to "arrive in heaven" no?
Your logic is based on the validity of your "if" statement, and assumes it is correct.

Checkpoint wrote:What does he mean by "bring", then?
See my post #2. I have already fully explained.
An explanation that I do not see as being Paul's meaning and intention in writing what he did.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #24

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Checkpoint wrote: An explanation that I do not see as being Paul's meaning and intention in writing what he did.
Well that's fine, I have no problem with you not agreeing with the JWs interpretation. Evidently you see things differently, not unsual here in TD&D.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

onewithhim
Savant

Post #25

Post by onewithhim »

Checkpoint wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 17 by Checkpoint]
Checkpoint wrote:There are at least three possibilities that have been claimed: The first is that they will be taken to heaven.
I agree, those that die in Christ will indeed be taken to heaven, God will bring them there. They have to die first of course, a human cannot get to heaven without first dying and being given a spirit body (see 1 Cor 15:44).
Checkpoint wrote:The third reading is that they will be brought back to life in resurrection as Christ had been.
Yes, they will be brought back to life in heaven (when someone dies and the are brought back to life we call that a "resurrection"). They will die on earth and be brought to live in heaven. This will be when God resurrects them in spirit bodies to be with him in heaven. Unless I'm missing something, this not a third option it is effectively option #1 expressed in different words.

No, each of the options is quite different.

You have effectively tried to combine them in saying,
"Yes, they will be brought back to life in heaven".

The resurrection, however, takes plac e on earth, Matthew 25:31-32.

It will be what you said, "as Christ had been". He came back to life on earth.
So my post on this was not worth considering?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 20 by onewithhim]

Sorry, but I think I am just a little confused in that it is not always clear to me where you begin and JW ends, on this post of yours.

My exchange has been with her rather than with you, so what do you have to say further?

Also, with respect, where it is clear to me you are the writer, you have at times done what I wanted to avoid on this thread.

That is, adventured into prophetic details rather than kept to the return and resurrection.

For example, you mention the 144,000 and Armageddon.

Like JW, you have chosen the first option for the "bring with him" phrase.

I have chosen the third option.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 25 by onewithhim]
So my post on this was not worth considering?
Which post was that?

I can certainly consider anything you write.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Checkpoint wrote: An explanation that I do not see as being Paul's meaning and intention in writing what he did.
Well that's fine, I have no problem with you not agreeing with the JWs interpretation. Evidently you see things differently, not unsual here in TD&D

JW
Yes, people have different perceptions, that often stem from a different history.

Each of us has our own reasons for accepting or rejecting this or that "interpretation".

polonius
Prodigy

Post #29

Post by polonius »

[quote="[url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?

RESPONSE: I can list Jesus' claims for a return during the lifetime of those then alive if you like, but you should be able to locate them on your own. Jesus made it abundantly clear that he would return during his generation. [/quote]
Jesus was not in error. He was not in error because he was not speaking of his own generation when he mentioned those of "this generation." I have explained it previously
ad nauseum. If you won't accept SOME of what I post, there is no sense in arguing incessantly about the SAME subject! I know that Jesus was not in error. You apparently believe that he was. I'll take my chances with HIM.
RESPONSE:

Are you serious? Are you really claiming that when Jesus said "some standing here" he was not referring to his own generation?

Matthew 16:28
Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.

But of course, Jesus was wrong. It just didn't happen. Do you really mean "take your chances" with documentably someone speaking in error?

tam
Savant

Post #30

Post by tam »

Peace to you Checkpoint!
Checkpoint wrote: The immediate context is this passage from 1 Thessalonians 4.

13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus.

15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep.
16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.
So, how do you read, what do you understand, is the intended meaning of the words in bold above?

To help us along, tell us whether you see them as primarily referring to verses 13 and 14, or to verses 15 to 17.

Please note however, this thread is not about other issues you may view as being related, such as the details of prophecy.

It is about the fact of the second coming and the resurrection that then occurs.

Okay, so there are two resurrections.

I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

So the first resurrection is for those who will reign with Christ for a thousand years. This resurrection is for the Bride. The New Jerusalem. The Body of Christ.

When Paul is writing to the thesselonians, he is speaking about this first resurrection. The dead in Christ (whose spirits Christ received - as Stephen asked Christ to receive his spirit when he was stoned and so died/fell asleep) are sleeping/waiting 'under the altar'. (Revelation 6:9) When Christ returns to gather us up to Him (to be married), He brings with Him those of us who belong to Him, who have died and are awaiting the first resurrection "under the altar".

It sounds like Paul might have been responding to a concern that some may have had, thinking that those who had died would have to wait to be resurrected.

The second resurrection occurs at the END of the thousand years, AFTER Armageddon/after gog and magog have been devoured.

Continuing from the above passage:

When the thousand years are complete, Satan will be released from his prison, and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to assemble them for battle. Their number is like the sand of the seashore. And they marched across the broad expanse of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city. But fire came down from heaven and consumed them.

Then comes the resurrection of the dead (the second resurrection). Remember that all those who are in Christ have already been resurrected in the first resurrection and have been reigning with Him for a thousand years. This resurrection is for everyone else (some few exceptions). Some of these are resurrected to life and some are resurrected to judgment and the second death.

And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur, into which the beast and the false prophet had already been thrown. There they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. Then I saw a great white throne and the One who sat on it. The earth and the heavens fled from His presence, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne. And there were open books, and one of them was the book of life. And the dead were judged according to their deeds, as recorded in the books. The sea gave up its dead, and Death and Hades gave up their dead, and each one was judged according to his deeds."

Death and hades (sheol/hades/hell - the world of the dead) gave up the dead in them. That is the second resurrection, for all those NOT in Christ (with exception to the 'elders' who were already seen seated around the throne).

So... there are two resurrections. The first is for those in Christ and that is the resurrection that Paul is speaking about. Both those who have died and those who are still alive - who belong to Christ - are resurrected in the first resurrection.

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy