Why are Atheists Here?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Why are Atheists Here?

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

It seems to me that far more atheists frequent this site than theists.

It is also obviously apparent that non-theist members here are very, very passionate.

But why? What is your goal.

Are you trying to create atheists? But that goal does not fit the strategy, which is typically on the defensive: i.e., "Prove to me there is a God!"

So why are you here? You obviously want theists to be constantly trying to convince you of ideas you think ridiculous. This is very strange. I think Islam an error; yet I am not a member of a single Islamic site. Are you? I think Hinduism strange; still, not seeking a Hindu forum to demand evidence for their beliefs.

So, to reiterate:

what is your goal?

why specifically Christianity?

Monta
Guru

Re: Why are Atheists Here?

Post #21

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 15 by Divine Insight]

"I'm not an atheist. I'm actually a Christian who simply came to the realization that Christianity is a false dogma. "

I hear what yu are saying but this above was bit funny: I am a Christian but it is false..

I read yur posts and you are very critical but I see it as a lack of real knowledge - this is observation not a judgment. From that observation I see yu as rather ignorant of a genuine Christian religion.
This being a mystical religion can not be grasped and measured with time/space/ matter scales. Again from my opinion, we should not judge and so strongly criticise matters of a religion as no matter how much we feel we got it right, it is always possible we do not.. We may be doing ourselves more harm than to others.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #22

Post by rikuoamero »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 18 by rikuoamero]

"It was for me initially. I found this site and saw a VERY active series of back and forths going on, so I said to myself "surely someone here can actually successfully change my atheist position".
Obviously, that has not happened, and I expect it to never happen at this point."

It never will. If it did you'd only inherit their belief system which is never perfect.
Getting it directly from the Divine itself is one to one.
Since the Divine doesn't ring my door bell, I have to resort to the next best thing. Those who profess to following the Divine.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #23

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 15 by Divine Insight]

"I'm not an atheist. I'm actually a Christian who simply came to the realization that Christianity is a false dogma. "

I hear what yu are saying but this above was bit funny: I am a Christian but it is false..

I read yur posts and you are very critical but I see it as a lack of real knowledge - this is observation not a judgment. From that observation I see yu as rather ignorant of a genuine Christian religion.
This being a mystical religion can not be grasped and measured with time/space/ matter scales. Again from my opinion, we should not judge and so strongly criticise matters of a religion as no matter how much we feel we got it right, it is always possible we do not.. We may be doing ourselves more harm than to others.
A lack of "real" knowledge seems to be prevelant these days. I mean what should I trust unverifiable tales of supernaturalism that are not logically coherent or verifiable observations of the natural world around us.

I am sure that the apologists would not want us to criticize a fragile belief system that relies specifically on emotional appeal and threat of punishment. I mean heck it might not hold together if people talk about their skepticism.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #24

Post by Divine Insight »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 15 by Divine Insight]

A lack of real knowledge? :-k

Excuse me but my position is that the Bible cannot be true "as written".

I've read the Bible therefore I have the "Real Knowledge". :D

Apparently what you are referring to are abstract apologetic arguments that are actually in agreement with my position. Those arguments actually argue that the Bible should not be taken literally "as written", and therefore they are basically inventing their own imaginary God Character who is nothing at all like the Bible actually describes.

And you call that "Real Knowledge"?

I'm afraid I would need to disagree with you on that line of argument.

I can "imagine" a far better God than is literally described by the Bible too. In fact, such a God may even exist. However, the fact remains that even if such a God actually exists it clearly wouldn't be the God described in the Bible. :D

So I don't even dismiss the possibility of a "better God" potentially existing. In fact, I often point to Buddhism as describing a potentially "better God".

But this doesn't change the fact that the God, as described in the Bible, is not a very good God at all. And that is based on "Real Knowledge" (i.e. it's based on what's actually written in the Bible). This doesn't mean this knowledge represents "truth", but it is what the Bible describes. In other words, it's true that the Bible literally describes a God who has very poor moral values.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by Danmark »

liamconnor wrote:....

So why are you here? .... What is your goal?
Why specifically Christianity?
I don't think the non theists as a group are any more passionate than theists. Christianity is the most common religious belief in the country I live in.
I'm not trying to 'convert' anyone. i would actually feel a little sad if something I said caused someone to lose her faith unless it was for a very well thought out reason.

So why AM I here?
My perception is there are a lot of Christians who are grossly ignorant of their own faith and have very poor reasons for their beliefs. They misread their own Bible and demonstrate very poor logic to justify their views. This forum is one of the few, perhaps the only Christian forum that accords fair and equal access to people of any faith or belief.
So... I hear and read many absurd, angry, ignorant, and silly statements from people who claim to be Christians. This is a place where I get to answer them. I also feel I may help people to clarify their thinking and recognize where their logic is faulty. I hope Christians will be better able to defend their views and drop their absurd claims after having them tried in the crucible of this even handed forum.

I also think that some (the minority of) Christians have opinions about their faith that lead them to hurt others, e.g. gays and other groups, including women. They need correction, whether it comes from their fellow Christians or non theists.

I did not raise my children to believe or disbelieve. Their mother is a very intelligent, well educated evangelical Christian. I wanted my children to simply think clearly and be well educated on the subject. Their conclusions were their own. None of them ended up sharing their mother's views. That is of no matter to me; what counts is that they thought for themselves and were interested enough in learning to, among other accomplishments, graduate with honors from UCLA and Harvard Law School.

In short, I simply like to argue and teach and maintain whatever writing skills I have. This site affords me those opportunities.

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 2 by alexxcJRO]
You have basically straw manned me and maybe others into this
I asked a bunch of questions. A straw man is a false description of a position you wish to demolish. Questions are not arguments. They are questions. Look up "Straw Man".

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 3 by Tired of the Nonsense]

The goal for non believers is to spread Christian claims out into the open and expose them critically for all to see.
Yes, but why? What is the ultimate goal? Christians are supposedly (at least, that is what they say) are about "saving souls". Atheists of course do not believe in an immortal soul. So what is their ultimate aim? To create a better society?

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #28

Post by alexxcJRO »

[Replying to post 26 by liamconnor]

"I asked a bunch of questions. A straw man is a false description of a position you wish to demolish. Questions are not arguments. They are questions. Look up "Straw Man"."

Seriously:))?!!!!

You said this and i quote: "You obviously want theists to be constantly trying to convince you of ideas you think ridiculous. "

This is an affirmation of fact not a question. You even use the word "obviously" which emphasis that this is clear as day that this is the case when is fact is a gross generalization and obviously false.

Which is a misrepresentation of my and maybe other's position. Therefore you have straw manned me and maybe others probably because this fake position is more easy to defeat. 8-)

Let's see what the fallacy is all about:

straw man
noun
an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.
"her familiar procedure of creating a straw man by exaggerating their approach"
a person regarded as having no substance or integrity.
"a photogenic straw man gets inserted into office and advisers dictate policy"
https://www.google.ro/search?client=ope ... 8&oe=UTF-8
Last edited by alexxcJRO on Sun May 07, 2017 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #29

Post by Zzyzx »

liamconnor wrote: Atheists of course do not believe in an immortal soul. So what is their ultimate aim? To create a better society?
Many non-religious people regard religious dogmatism / fanaticism as detrimental to society.

I do not disagree -- but regard religious and superstitious beliefs as a matter which should be private and NOT inflicted upon society or upon unwilling citizens (particularly in the form of religion-based laws).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #30

Post by Danmark »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 2 by alexxcJRO]
You have basically straw manned me and maybe others into this
I asked a bunch of questions. A straw man is a false description of a position you wish to demolish. Questions are not arguments. They are questions. Look up "Straw Man".
I agree. You are not setting up a 'straw man.' Your questions are fair ones. However, your
You obviously want theists to be constantly trying to convince you of ideas you think ridiculous.
is a false statement as worded. Yes, non theists think some of the Bible stories are ridiculous, but we only want theists to defend their claims, or admit those claims are preposterous. We certainly don't even think of the possibility we could be convinced by some of this nonsense. The rest of your OP is reasonable, but notion that theists want to be convinced of ridiculous ideas is itself ridiculous and a 'straw man.'