Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Why is god in hiding?

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

If the Biblical god exists why does it hide away, making its existence a matter of faith not reality?

Those who claim there is evidence that god exists, can never provide that evidence.

Willum
Savant

Re: Why is god in hiding?

Post #41

Post by Willum »

1213 wrote:
Willum wrote: … The problem is God is impossible, …
Please explain, why do you think so?
I don't think so. I know so. Impossibility isn't a matter of opinion, and a definition of "God can do anything," is juvenile in the extreme.
The concept of being all-powerful is a preposterous assumption. There is no reason or need to make such an assumption. Period.
We also have no results or observations to make such an assumption.
In addition, impossible is impossible. You want to say God can resurrect because he can do anything... it is a self-licking ice cream cone. It means something to itself, and that is just word-play.
Willum wrote:If God is love, then he is only our feelings. Then... so... what?
True love is not feeling, at least not in Biblical point of view.
Yes, it is, from a Biblical point of view, or what is it then, a pony? Somehow I missed the verse saying love was something other than what it was in Greek.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #42

Post by Clownboat »

True love is not feeling, at least not in Biblical point of view.
Thank you for the example of why it should be frowned upon to get your information about such topics from ignorant, ancient and un-sourced humans.

A recent study based on the topic “science behind the love� is conducted at Rutgers University located in United States, revealed there are 3 stages involved with falling in love—namely lust, attraction, and attachment. Each stage involves different types of chemical reactions within the body (specifically the brain).

Ironically, the same source that informs you about 'love' also informs you about how the earth came to be and what happens to us when we die. If the book is wrong about love, then it is safe to say that it is likely wrong about how the earth came to be and such.

Perhaps it is time that we put down our holy books and start to read some science texts? The type of thinking displayed here would lead us to believe that thunder and lightning come from the gods. Unless you read a science text that is, then you can have an accurate understanding about such things it would seem.

Is anyone surprised about how it is the religious that try to poo poo science in order to leave room for their god? Imagine the horrors that might occur if people got their information about witches let's say from such ancient sources.... :eyebrow:
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #43

Post by OnceConvinced »

JJ50 wrote: BTW what is the point of tokens?

Moderator Clarification

They are there as a way of rewarding members for posting. If you are really impressed by someone's post you can make a token donation to them using the MPG donation button. It will highlight their post with a yellow gem and a message will be sent to the member.

You can also use tokens to pay for certain privileges like having your own user group.

See here for further info:
viewtopic.php?t=29

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator clarifications do not count as a strike against any posters. They serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received and/or are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels a clarification of the rules is required.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by Justin108 »

marco wrote:
I'm not using the Bible as an authority to prove God exists. I'm using it as a reference to the character of God. We are discussing the character of God. How do you suppose we do this without referencing the source material?
Simply by allowing various interpretations of God to offer an answer to your question.
What point is there in referencing an interpretation that virtually no one holds? I have never come across anyone who worships a non-omnipotent God. I'm not interested in debating the small hypothetical niche you're appealing to. Unless you personally believe that God exists and is not, in fact, omnipotent, I fail to see why you are so eager to invest so much time in this pointless hypothetical.
marco wrote:
Just as I cannot discuss the character of Voldemort without referencing the Harry Potter books, I cannot discuss the character of God without referencing the Bible.
Obviously this is false since we can extract characteristics of the Abrahamic God from sources other than the Bible.
Name one source of authority in which the Abrahamic God is not omnipotent.
marco wrote:If you are meticulously seeking answers in the pages of the Bible you are, as I said, imposing limitations on your answers.
Not if my focus is on the Christian God (again, Christianity and Apologetics. I want limitations on my answers. I don't want to discuss literally every one of the millions of gods humanity's come up with over the ages. "Yes but what if the Moon is God" one might say. "The Moon is clearly not hiding". I'm not interested in debating moon-gods, I'm not interested in debating Zeus, I'm interested in debating by far the most popular iteration of God, namely that of an eternal, omnipotent creator of the universe.
marco wrote:
If you don't like discussing the idea of an omnipotent god, then just stop talking to me. That's my definition of God. That's the definition I'm working with. And I am in no way alone in that regard.
I am happy to discuss an omnipotent God. I was merely observing that you were imposing restrictions on answers. A list of your restrictions would have been helpful.
I was imposing a restriction on the topic. With that there is naturally a restriction on answers. And if you insist on a comprehensive list, as if you're not aware of the typical characteristics normally attributed to God.

For the purpose of this debate, I define God as
- eternal
- omnipotent
- omniscient
- sentient
- creator of the universe

This definition is in no way unique to my understanding of God. This covers the majority understanding of God.
marco wrote:
Needless to say, this topic obviously requires speculation. If you want to shy away from a discussion because no one can accurately answer the question, then you might as well stay off this forum because half the questions on this site are questions no one knows the answer to. We are literally discussing the existence of God. Point me to one person alive who knows the answer to that question.
But we are not discussing the existence of God since your restrictions block this avenue, sadly.
You're completely missing my point. My point is, if you're against speculating on things we cannot answer, then you're on the wrong website. Because that's basically all we do here.
marco wrote:Nor am I opposing speculation. What I am saying is that if you define God in strict terms and then ask people why your defined God isn't talking it would be strange if they knew.
You think it strange that I define terms for the purpose of a debate? You find it strange that the definition I adopt is by far the most popular one? How the hell do you suppose we discuss God if the term "God" is undefined? Without a definition, "God" is a nonsense word that can literally mean anything, as per my Moon God example above. Common sense dictates we define a concept before discussing it.

marco
Savant

Post #45

Post by marco »

Justin108 wrote:
- eternal
- omnipotent
- omniscient
- sentient

Common sense dictates we define a concept before discussing it.
Better late than never, I suppose.

I have said I have no problem with taking God as omnipotent. Our digression was caused by what I assumed was a simple observation, namely:

"However, it seems statistically certain that life exists in the trillions of galaxies we believe surround us. It seems absurd to suppose that we happen to be the most intelligent life form, and so when something far superior appeared to us all and declared itself a god, how could we dispute it?"

This brought on the proposal that God might turn coal into gold or some such thing. When it was pointed out that very advanced beings might do this, God was given bigger powers.

The question posed is: Why is god (sic) in hiding? (The Biblical God is God not god). It would seem he is busy changing snow into diamonds and cabbages to kings. It might be better to return to the mainline argument, whatever that is. My best wishes.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #46

Post by Justin108 »

marco wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
- eternal
- omnipotent
- omniscient
- sentient

Common sense dictates we define a concept before discussing it.
Better late than never, I suppose.
At no point did you actually ask me to define God. All you did was whine about me using the Christian version of God. So I'm not seeing the point of your snide remark. That's basically what your comments have consisted of since post 20. You taking issue with the fact that I'm discussing an omnipotent God. That's three pages back and you're still not over it.
marco wrote: I have said I have no problem with taking God as omnipotent. Our digression was caused by what I assumed was a simple observation, namely:

"However, it seems statistically certain that life exists in the trillions of galaxies we believe surround us. It seems absurd to suppose that we happen to be the most intelligent life form, and so when something far superior appeared to us all and declared itself a god, how could we dispute it?"

This brought on the proposal that God might turn coal into gold or some such thing. When it was pointed out that very advanced beings might do this, God was given bigger powers.
God was never given bigger powers. It was assumed from the start that God is omnipotent. You realize that there's nothing greater than omnipotence, right? I clarified this in post 17 when I said...
Justin108 wrote: In order to qualify as God, the lifeform would have to literally be perfect. It would have to be able to do literally anything.
I then followed it with a few examples of God turning coal into gold. So if you're trying to argue that I'm moving the goalpost, you're failing.
marco wrote: The question posed is: Why is god (sic) in hiding? (The Biblical God is God not god).
And you believe that literally everyone is aware of and uses this convention? Oh and just to utterly destroy any semblance of a point, let's actually read the OP and not just the heading, shall we?
JJ50 wrote: If the Biblical god exists why does it hide away, making its existence a matter of faith not reality?
The Biblical God is omnipotent. As the OP is discussing the Biblical God, it should be assumed that God is omnipotent. All of your complaining could have been avoided if you actually just read the OP and not just the heading.

marco
Savant

Post #47

Post by marco »

[Replying to post 46 by Justin108]

Thanks for your further clarifications but you had perfectly well defined God when you wrote:

I define God as
- eternal
- omnipotent
- omniscient
- sentient

All is clear. The person who rings our doorbell will be an eternal, omniscient, sentient creator and omnipotent as well. If we have the courage to ask him for identification, he will have no trouble. Ah, well, I wonder what his excuse will be for hiding. Best regards.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #48

Post by Kenisaw »

[Replying to post 7 by dianaiad]

Well why not throw that evidence out and let's have a conversation about it. We can keep the goalposts right where they are too ;)

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #49

Post by dianaiad »

Justin108 wrote:

...... At this point it seems like you're arguing for the sake of arguing. If you don't like discussing the idea of an omnipotent god, then just stop talking to me......

.... If you want to shy away from a discussion because no one can accurately answer the question, then you might as well stay off this forum because half the questions on this site are questions no one knows the answer to. We are literally discussing the existence of God. Point me to one person alive who knows the answer to that question.
Moderator Comment

Please do not tell another poster whether he or she should participate in the discussion/debate. If you find his or her conclusions to be faulty, address them, do not tell the poster to "stay off this forum."

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

By Grace
Apprentice

Post #50

Post by By Grace »

marco wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
As for using advanced technology - no matter how advanced technology is, it still needs to abide by the laws of nature. Therefore, any lifeform, regardless of how advanced they are, should not be able to do the impossible. God, however, could do the impossible.
marco wrote:
While I can fathom an alien race with things like teleportation, limb regeneration, a cure for all disease, etc., to expect an alien race to be literally omnipotent thanks to their technology is a bit of a stretch.
"
Paul answers your questions in Romans:1: For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

You seem to forget that in ancient civilizations such as Greece and Rome, each had a pantheon of their gods, made in their own images following their own foibles. Therefore, there was all sorts of intrigue and jealousy and even Oedipus.

Therefore, looking at history, the "marco god" would wind up being an idealized version of Marco.