We have accounts from 2000 years ago

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

We have accounts from 2000 years ago

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

We have accounts from 2000 years ago which may or may not be true and accurate. We have no way to determine whether they are true in total, true in part, untrue in total.

Shall we base life decisions on those accounts? Why or why not?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: We have accounts from 2000 years ago

Post #61

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 60 by Divine Insight]

And you're telling me this because....?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #62

Post by 1213 »

Kenisaw wrote:Why does the divinely inspired word of a god need to be decided if it is "reasonable and good"?
I think it is not reasonable to follow something blindly, because Jesus said:

Can the blind guide the blind? Won't they both fall into a pit?
Luke 6:39
Kenisaw wrote:...obvious falsehood that "everything went exactly as the Bible tells"...
How is it obvious falsehood?

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #63

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Zzyzx wrote: .
We have accounts from 2000 years ago which may or may not be true and accurate. We have no way to determine whether they are true in total, true in part, untrue in total.

We have accounts from 2,000 years ago which declare that a man who lived 2,000 years ago has been about to return at any moment for the last 2,000 years. And yet everyone who lived 2,000 years ago is still very reliably DEAD! Why should we not consider this fact significant when we reasonably seek to consider the just how reliable these 2,000 year old claims are, or ever were?
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #64

Post by Divine Insight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 60 by Divine Insight]

And you're telling me this because....?
Because if you are living your life based upon accounts of Jesus from 2000 years ago in today's society, you would necessarily need to be living on promises of some imagined afterlife. Not on principles that are actually going to serve you well in this life.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #65

Post by Divine Insight »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:

We have accounts from 2,000 years ago which declare that a man who lived 2,000 years ago has been about to return at any moment for the last 2,000 years. And yet everyone who lived 2,000 years ago is still very reliably DEAD! Why should we not consider this fact significant when we reasonably seek to consider the just how reliable these 2,000 year old claims are, or ever were?
Because these accounts proclaim that Jesus is NOT DEAD. He was "Risen" and currently resides somewhere above the clouds. He's LIVING, and he knows when you are sleeping, he knows when you're awake, he knows if you've been bad or good, and he's the keeper of the gate, to eternal life.

Remember these accounts are all about a promise of ETERNAL LIFE. They are not a promise that you die when you die.

If Jesus was not risen as these accounts claim, then they are all a lie.

But if he was, then there really is an invisible man in the sky who is constantly spying on you!

And what you do in this life will determine whether he will be naughty or nice to you after you die.

That's the gist of it. ;)
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #66

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Divine Insight wrote: Because if you are living your life based upon accounts of Jesus from 2000 years ago in today's society, you would necessarily need to be living on promises of some imagined afterlife.
Well I suppose that would depend on how one interprets the text. I'm not sure anyone can make a definitive statement of how people would interpret any particular text. Maybe the Pope could... Are you Pope?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #67

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Divine Insight wrote:
Tired of the Nonsense wrote:

Because these accounts proclaim that Jesus is NOT DEAD. He was "Risen" and currently resides somewhere above the clouds. He's LIVING, and he knows when you are sleeping, he knows when you're awake, he knows if you've been bad or good, and he's the keeper of the gate, to eternal life.

Remember these accounts are all about a promise of ETERNAL LIFE. They are not a promise that you die when you die.

If Jesus was not risen as these accounts claim, then they are all a lie.

But if he was, then there really is an invisible man in the sky who is constantly spying on you!

And what you do in this life will determine whether he will be naughty or nice to you after you die.

That's the gist of it. ;)
ALL of the elect are up in heaven. None of them have ever come back however. Except apparently for this one time in Jerusalem....
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #68

Post by Kenisaw »

bluethread wrote:
Kenisaw wrote:
To restate the OP:

"We have accounts from 2000 years ago which may or may not be true and accurate. We have no way to determine whether they are true in total, true in part, untrue in total.

Shall we base life decisions on those accounts? Why or why not?"

The parameters are pretty clear, as is your attempt to avoid the topic by mentioning peoples that fall outside said parameters. It's an understandable reaction for a theist to take though. As a former theist I am well aware of the impossible task of defending Biblical dogma...
I don't see any Biblical dogma in that and I have not attempted to defend any. I have merely shown, by example, that much of our society is dependent on basing life decisions on accounts from 2000 years ago which may or may not be true and accurate. Let me ask you, on what should one base one's life decisions?
I know you haven't attempted to defend any, which was the point.

You haven't shown that much of our society is basing life decisions on accounts from 2000 years ago. You've mentioned 2300 years ago, or 2400 years ago, but nothing from 2000 years ago. But if you want to stray from the OP, that is of couer your choice.

To answer your question, I think one should base their life decisions on all the available data and information that they can get their hands on.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #69

Post by Kenisaw »

1213 wrote:
marco wrote:Likewise if the Bible tells us not to massacre people we already accept this. We're not taking Biblical advice in following common morality.
It seems to me that the common morality is based on Christianity. Even if not, my moral is based on the Bible and Bible is the reason why understand certain things are wrong and my moral is not just because someone said that “this is common moral, obey it, or…�.

Unfortunately it seems to me that moral nowadays is rather based on fear of punishment and surveillance cameras than understanding of what is really right and wrong.
There is no such thing as "really right or wrong". It all depends on when and where you were born and what your society or culture defined as right or wrong at that time. The common morality in your neck of the woods might very well have a foundation in typical Christian moral codes. That does not make it better or worse than a moral code in Pakistan or India or the Brazilian rain forest...

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #70

Post by Kenisaw »

1213 wrote:
Kenisaw wrote:Why does the divinely inspired word of a god need to be decided if it is "reasonable and good"?
I think it is not reasonable to follow something blindly, because Jesus said:

Can the blind guide the blind? Won't they both fall into a pit?
Luke 6:39
So you think some things in the Bible are wrong, or need interpreting? (Which makes me wonder why you wrote that "everything went exactly as the Bible tells" in an earlier post)...
Kenisaw wrote:...obvious falsehood that "everything went exactly as the Bible tells"...
How is it obvious falsehood?
Plants appearing before the Sun. A worldwide flood. PI equals 3....