Evangelist is trying to raise 54 million dollars

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Evangelist is trying to raise 54 million dollars

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Evangelist Jesse Duplantis is attempting to raise 54 million dollars for a new private jet. This made the national news.

Apparantly the preacher already has 4 or 5 private jets. Correction, this would be his fourth jet.

The justification? For the Gospel, or course.

For debate:

-Does this kind of thing honor God?

-Does it honor the Gospel?

-Does it honor Christianity?

-Would you donate money to this preacher if you knew it was going to uses like this?

-Is this what Fundamentalist, Evangelical Christianity has come to? Making preachers rich?

-Would this kind of behavior in the name of Jesus, make Jesus happy?
Last edited by Elijah John on Wed May 30, 2018 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Tcg
Savant

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

Peds nurse wrote:
I am wondering and hoping that this will have an ill effect on his career.
Given that this would be his fourth jet, I'm not sure why that would be the case. Add to that the fact that God told him he needs this jet, asking for money to buy it will be seen by some as a great step of faith. Unlike Jonah who tried to avoid God's will, this man is embracing it.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #22

Post by Clownboat »

Peds nurse wrote: Hey people!

I am pretty sure that the only one that is being honored, is the preacher. We can make an impact in our world without jets. I am wondering and hoping that this will have an ill effect on his career.
Jesse use to come to our church at least once a year (still does I imagine). This was over 20 years ago. He was high profile then (in the evangelical scene) and still is it seems. So it is not likely that it will have any effect on his career.

I remember preachers claiming that just because you worship the One True God, that doesn't mean that said god wants you to be poor. Therefore justifying their mansions and jets.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #23

Post by Clownboat »

bjs wrote:
Elijah John wrote: So you're not familiar with some of the wealthy TBN Evangelical preachers? True, they are not the average, but they are very high profile.
I admit that I am not familiar with TBN preachers in general. However, focusing on high profile but uncommon examples is a textbook definition of sensationalism.
When it comes to prosperity preachers, can we really claim that Duplantis is uncommon?
I'm not so sure about that, however, that was the environment I grew up in, so it was very normal for me.

Hell, our home pastor had/has his own jet.
Your unfamiliarity does not make it sensational.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by Peds nurse »

Clownboat wrote:

I am pretty sure that the only one that is being honored, is the preacher. We can make an impact in our world without jets. I am wondering and hoping that this will have an ill effect on his career.
clownboat wrote:Jesse use to come to our church at least once a year (still does I imagine). This was over 20 years ago. He was high profile then (in the evangelical scene) and still is it seems. So it is not likely that it will have any effect on his career.

I remember preachers claiming that just because you worship the One True God, that doesn't mean that said god wants you to be poor. Therefore justifying their mansions and jets.
Well, if it isn't my most favorite clown! I hope you are doing well!

God doesn't say we have to be poor, but he also said that it is much harder for a rich man to walk the narrow road. I think it is because money is a powerful distraction for people. It easily becomes the governing device in our lives, and it slides into first place without us even being aware. I am wondering if it was actually God who told Jesse that he needed another jet.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #25

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 23 by Clownboat]

Well I'm proud to say that none of Jehovah's Witness ministers paid for their preaching. Even those in what we call "Special service" (such a missionaries and those that work in our headquarters) take a vow of poverty and are all on the same allowance.

In the JWs there is no way to get rich through donations.

JW

RELATED POSTS

How do Jehovah's Witness ministers support themselves financially?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 080#912080

Did Jesus not tell his disciples to give away everything the owned?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 161#908161

Why does God need money?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 849#910849

FURTHER READING How Is the Work of Jehovah’s Witnesses Financed?
https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... -financed/
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #26

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 25 by JehovahsWitness]

Do Jehovah's Witnesses make MONEY their main goal in life?

Jehovah's Witnesses believe Jesus encouraged his disciples to live simple modest lives, not devoting energy to getting rich, making a lot of money or becomeing the top earners in our communities (see chart below). We believe a Christians should work in honest employment that enable him to earn enough to support ourselves and our families. We believe our lives should be centred on spiritual interests and the doing of God's will but not to the detriment of ones family (Jehovah's Witness husbands are NOT encouraged to abandon their wives and children as proof of their devotion to God).

In 2017 Jehovah's Witensses spent nearly 2 and a Half billion ours preaching the good news of the kingdom, and conducted over 10 million free home bible studies. They could have devoted that time and energy to getting a higher income

[/quote]
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Clownboat
Savant

Post #27

Post by Clownboat »

Peds nurse wrote:
Clownboat wrote:

clownboat wrote:Jesse use to come to our church at least once a year (still does I imagine). This was over 20 years ago. He was high profile then (in the evangelical scene) and still is it seems. So it is not likely that it will have any effect on his career.

Well, if it isn't my most favorite clown! I hope you are doing well!

God doesn't say we have to be poor, but he also said that it is much harder for a rich man to walk the narrow road. I think it is because money is a powerful distraction for people. It easily becomes the governing device in our lives, and it slides into first place without us even being aware. I am wondering if it was actually God who told Jesse that he needed another jet.
If it isn't my favorite Peds! Things are great thank you. I trust you and yours are also doing well.

It doesn't take a god or a devil for a rich man to want a new jet.
Religion is his line of work and he is successful at selling himself as a spokes person. (He is also entertaining as far as preachers go).

As you know, money itself is not said to be a problem. Just the love of money. I'm sure Duplantis would say that he doesn't love money and that it is just a tool for him to reach sinners. With all the money/tools he has earned, he therefore must be doing the will of a god.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #28

Post by Elijah John »

Welcome back, Peds! I agree, and I think his use of the Gospel is a pretext. We can impact the world without private jets, especially in this age of the internet.

And how in the world is the accumulation of conspicuous wealth honoring God and Jesus, the man who taught his disciples to seek treasure in Heaven instead? (question addressed to all)

Seems he is serving Mammon, and not God.

I'm guessing his career will continue the way it has been.

And as a side note, his fellow prosperity preacher Kenneth Copeland said he prefers private jets to commercial because he doesn't want to ride in "tubes full of demons". Nice.

One wonders how many of his own followers he is indicting when he says things like that, some of whom may have contributed to his own ministry!

Certainly seems like an expression of contempt for humanity. One wonders where does that negativity come from?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

William
Savant

Post #29

Post by William »

[Replying to post 28 by Elijah John]
One wonders where does that negativity come from?
I would say, in the main, it comes from biblical phrases, stories and such.

Pigs fly.