$$

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

imhereforyou
Scholar

$$

Post #1

Post by imhereforyou »

He created all that is, but needs your hard earned money to build a church or pay his people?
Why?
Why can't God create a church from the ground without your money (or time, for that matter)?

Surely the spontaneous creation of a building with all the plumbing and electrical needed would be enough to convince most, if not all, of his existence. But we don't see that - we see faces of Jesus in grilled cheeses or Doritos. No...no spontaneous church creation - that requires your money.

The typical response is "God doesn't need your money, you need to give your money to God" or the like. But if you're a Christian, and the love of money is the root of all evil, shouldn't you not be so concerned with your $ that it is a challenge for you to give it up to build a church or pay the electric bill?

So what's the real reason such a being needs your money to further his kingdom?

tam
Savant

Re: $$

Post #31

Post by tam »

May you have peace!

Tcg wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Yes this is a point worth noting and I would agree with you. While "church" has indeed come in modern times to refer to the physical building, it can also refer to the believers.
Given that the OP contains this line:

"Surely the spontaneous creation of a building with all the plumbing and electrical needed would be enough to convince most, if not all, of his existence."

It is quite clear that the OP refers to a physical building. While discussing other possible meanings of the word, "church" may be interesting, it is not a discussion that addresses the clear meaning of the OP.

To be fair, JW was responding to me. I am the one who wrote that the Church is the Body of Christ and is made of people. That being said, I did not state that the church can mean the building (that men build) and can also mean the people.

The Church does not mean some man-made building in which people gather.

The Church is the Body of Christ, made of people, and is built upon the cornerstone (who is Christ), the Rock (who is Christ).

This is on topic with the OP because the OP suggests that God should be able to build 'a' church without money. But this is EXACTLY what is happening with THE Church. The Church IS being built without money. Christ is building His Church (which is His Body) upon the cornerstone (upon Christ, who is Himself the cornerstone and the Rock). The 'currency' being used to build His Church is faith (that same faith Peter showed when Peter believed God who revealed to him that Jaheshua is the Messiah, the Son of God).

As my Lord said,

"... and upon this Rock (Christ Himself), I will build my Church."

Christ is Himself building His Church upon Himself, WITH that same faith that Peter showed. The OP is suggesting God should be able to do without money... well, this IS being done.

Unfortunately the OP mistakes the church as being a mere building, a mistake made (I am guessing) due to the misunderstanding and so false teaching of men. Some men state that the church is the building that ones goes to and then also leaves at the end of service; some men believe and state that such buildings are required for worship. So yes of course they require money (and/or time) from their followers to do this.

But it is not God who demands or needs these things - and certainly not the money. Neither God nor His Son use or require money to build the Church (which is the Body of Christ).

And God put everything under His feet and made Him head over everything for the church, which is His body,... Ephesians 1:22, 23

And He is the head of the body, the church... Colossians 1:18

Now you are the body of Christ, and each of you is a member of it. 1 Corinthians 12:27

In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? John 14:2

Peace again to you, and to your households,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Tcg
Savant

Post #32

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 31 by tam]

As I have already explained, the OP is clearly talking about a church building. There is no need to wonder if the OP refers to the church in any other manner. It doesn't.

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #33

Post by imhereforyou »

[Replying to post 3 by tam]
He needs no man-made house at all. The Church is made of PEOPLE. Those people who belong to Christ, as His Bride, His Body. Christ is building the Church (made of people) with those people that His Father has given Him.

I wasn't referring to 'the church' but the buildings and maintaining of churches as the buildings. But if he doesn't need the money, then why do people take money for those things?
Not brick, mortar, wood, plaster, plumbing, electrical, etc, etc.
And yet money if continued to be given in his name for those very things.
Going further, one might be able to say, if Christianity is wavering in its impact and overall quantity of people (like some reports suggest) even 'the church' isn't doing very well.
But to build a church? God does not need our money to build the church. God does not need ANY money to build the church. The Church is made of PEOPLE.

Does God need money to feed children that have no food?
If not, why isn't he growing them food? Why have people give money to organizations that provide food?
Why not print bibles without any money needed?

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #34

Post by imhereforyou »

[Replying to post 6 by JehovahsWitness]

Granted I don't know much about JWs past being annoyed at their constant 'witnessing' when it's not asked for at my house and in my neighborhood, but I would think that it's honorable for not asking for, or taking, any $ in lieu of spiritual services provided (preaching, funerals, weddings, serving the poor, etc).
If that's truly the case for JWs, how do they make a living (if, for example, preaching) is the only work they do?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #35

Post by JehovahsWitness »

imhereforyou wrote: [Replying to post 6 by JehovahsWitness]

If that's truly the case for JWs, how do they make a living (if, for example, preaching) is the only work they do?
For 99.9% preaching is NOT the only work they do.
  • JWs all hold down jobs to support themselves and their families. Our elders are usually working men that conduct public religious services, give spiritual counsel and visit the sick all the while holding down full or part time jobs. Those that preach full time (70 hours a month or more) also usually have part time jobs, the rest of us simply preach after having worked our own full or part-time jobs
There are a very small number of members in Special full time service, working in Branch offices or in missionary assignments, that are given a small allowance from voluntary contributions to the Watchtower Society.

FURTHER READING How Is the Work of Jehovah's Witnesses Financed?
https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... -financed/

RELATED POSTS
How is the work of Jehovahs Witneses financed?
viewtopic.php?p=893936#p893936

Do Jehovah's witnesses charge for their religious services?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 49#p910849

Are Jehovah's Witness ministers paid for the preaching they do ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 80#p912080

Are Jehovah's Witness frugal with their use of contributed funds ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 59#p989959

Are Jehovah's Witnesses financially modest ?
viewtopic.php?p=1014214#p1014214
COMMERCE
Did Jesus sin when he threw the money-changers out of the temple?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 99#p976999

Did Jesus stipulate that all his followers should renounce ownership of all material possessions?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 20#p835720

Did Jesus expect his disciples to give up absolutely everything they owned?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 61#p908161

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES , JW's FINANCES and ... CHURCH LEADERSHIP
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 10 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #36

Post by imhereforyou »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
imhereforyou wrote: [Replying to post 6 by JehovahsWitness]

For 99.9% preaching is NOT the only work they do.
  • JWs all hold down jobs to support themselves and their families. Our elders are usually working men that conduct public religious services, give spiritual counsel and visit the sick all the while holding down full or part time jobs. Those that preach full time (70 hours a month or more) also usually have part time jobs, the rest of us simply preach after having worked our own full or part-time jobs
There are a very small number of members in Special full time service, working in Branch offices or in missionary assignments, that are given a small allowance from voluntary contributions to the Watchtower Society.

How Is the Work of Jehovah’s Witnesses Financed?
https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... -financed/

Great
Thank you for the clarification!
As I said, I'm not too familiar with JWs' inner workings