Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Noah's traditions

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Simple question.
Let's assume the Bible is a true account, but question things about it.

How do we know anything recorded before Noah is accurate?
All of Biblical history is bottlenecked through that one person, and his sons
If we accept his word, that he was good and just and had a perfect memory, we'd be fools.
Did the sons argue about a version? Did all four of them have eidetic memory?

How do we know the forces of evil didn't warp Noah or his generations whilst they were still few in number?
How do we know his memory didn't fail?
Etc.?

You get the idea. Thoughts?

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Noah's traditions

Post #11

Post by Elijah John »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 5 by Elijah John]
Are you saying that since the flood story is clearly implausible that the Bible has no value or validity? If not, I'm not sure what you are getting at.
No, I am saying, since Noah, assuming he was a real person with an ark, since Noah is a bottle neck of Biblical history, had complete control over the Biblical narrative before this point, how do we know he got the story right, or if Satan wasn't able to corrupt him, or whatnot?
No, it was "Moses" not Noah who is credited with writing all of the Pentateuch, including the flood story.

I don't know about any corruption from Satan, but it's pretty clear Moses was not a perfect historian. Myth maker? Most probably, historical journalist? Most probably not.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Zzyzx »

Elijah John wrote: No, it was "Moses" not Noah who is credited with writing all of the Pentateuch, including the flood story.
Agree. "Moses" is credited -- which is rather dubious. He wasn't alive to witness the events described.
Elijah John wrote: I don't know about any corruption from Satan, but it's pretty clear Moses was not a perfect historian. Myth maker? Most probably, historical journalist? Most probably not.
Since there is no assurance that "Moses" was the source of Genesis stories (and some doubt that he even existed as described), they could well have been folklore passed down through many generations before being recorded by people whose identity is unknown.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Willum
Savant

Post #13

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 11 by Elijah John]

Now you are honing into the issue.
Where did "Moses," (we can assume he existed also), get the stories from?
Noah was the bottleneck.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #14

Post by Elijah John »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 11 by Elijah John]

Now you are honing into the issue.
Where did "Moses," (we can assume he existed also), get the stories from?
Noah was the bottleneck.
Noah was a mythical character. "Moses" was the mythmaker. Or if he wasn't the originator, he recorded the oral legends passed onto him.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Willum
Savant

Post #15

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Elijah John]

So the topic is to assume Noah was realish.

mitty
Sage

Post #16

Post by mitty »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 5 by Elijah John]
Are you saying that since the flood story is clearly implausible that the Bible has no value or validity? If not, I'm not sure what you are getting at.
No, I am saying, since Noah, assuming he was a real person with an ark, since Noah is a bottle neck of Biblical history, had complete control over the Biblical narrative before this point, how do we know he got the story right, or if Satan wasn't able to corrupt him, or whatnot?
The bible, however, says that the flood which drowned most of Noah's family and their animals was obviously only a local event since it was only 15 cubits high and drained away like every other flood before and since, and had no effect on a nearby olive tree growing outside the flooded area which stretched to the circle of the horizon to which the tent-like heaven is attached as described in Isaiah 40:22.

earl
Scholar

Post #17

Post by earl »

From Willum," so the topic is to assume Noah waa realish"
This is what I see occurred.
The Jewish historians embellished their history.
The flood recorded in the Sumerian king's list shows the Sumerians recovered from the flood and kings became kings thereafter.
However the Jewish historians wrote of a extreme global flood that spared no one except Noah and family.
Note that there were 8 kings before the flood and likewise the Jewish historians recorded the same number.
Also the Sumerian kings list records a long life span prior to the flood and a much shorter one after.The Bible does exactly the same bringing man's life span down to 120 years max.
The Jewish historians needed a way for the Jews to become a true bloodline that can be traced back to Adam.Thus an embellishment of history was needed and a global flood was the perfect disguise.And since the historians already stopped their lineage at Adam it was a sure thing for them to con their neighboring races of people.
Now in this way the Jews can be considered the chosen people blood line.
The Biblical lineage charts in the Bible do not agree.
The historians who failed to clean up their story.
The historians failed to edit out the Nephilim,a race not of Noah.
And many more Biblical stories are embellished throughout the entire Bible .

mitty
Sage

Post #18

Post by mitty »

earl wrote: From Willum," so the topic is to assume Noah waa realish"
This is what I see occurred.
The Jewish historians embellished their history.
The flood recorded in the Sumerian king's list shows the Sumerians recovered from the flood and kings became kings thereafter.
However the Jewish historians wrote of a extreme global flood that spared no one except Noah and family.
Note that there were 8 kings before the flood and likewise the Jewish historians recorded the same number.
Also the Sumerian kings list records a long life span prior to the flood and a much shorter one after.The Bible does exactly the same bringing man's life span down to 120 years max.
The Jewish historians needed a way for the Jews to become a true bloodline that can be traced back to Adam.Thus an embellishment of history was needed and a global flood was the perfect disguise.And since the historians already stopped their lineage at Adam it was a sure thing for them to con their neighboring races of people.
Now in this way the Jews can be considered the chosen people blood line.
The Biblical lineage charts in the Bible do not agree.
The historians who failed to clean up their story.
The historians failed to edit out the Nephilim,a race not of Noah.
And many more Biblical stories are embellished throughout the entire Bible .
And since the bible says that the only people who were alive then and drowned were all members of Noah's family, the writers of Gen 5:27 presumably changed the life span of Noah's grandfather from 970 "years" to 969 "years" when he drowned with Noah's widowed mother and Noah's aunts & uncles & cousins and Noah's brothers & sisters, and Noah's hundreds of other children and grandchildren (Gen 5:26-32).