Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

“We have the facts�

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

“We have the facts�

In a current thread someone said:
But again, here is the fact of the matter. We have facts, and evidence surrounding the claims in the NT.
Correction: You have unverified TALES in a book and try to use the tales as 'facts' to support themselves or each other – OR claim that the tales must be true because many believe.

In reasoned discussion or debate one does NOT even attempt to use a source to verify itself. It makes no sense to say, 'The book is true because it says it is (or because I believe it is)' or 'Chapter one is true because chapter two tells a similar story'. It is also irrational to say, 'Many believed so it must be true' (Argumentum ad populum)

Test:
1) List Bible verses that deal with the 'resurrection'. Those are the tales to be supported.
2) List supporting facts and evidence supporting each (Not just repeating the tales or saying that many believed)

Example: Mark 16:6 Don’t be alarmed,� he [young man dressed in white robe] said “You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him.

What FACTS support “He has risen� (without using tales from the NT to support tales from the NT)?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Tiberius47
Apprentice

Re: “We have the facts�

Post #2

Post by Tiberius47 »

Zzyzx wrote:What FACTS support “He has risen� (without using tales from the NT to support tales from the NT)?
As far as I am aware...

None.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

You have a book that tells stories. Stories are not facts. There is no assurance the stories are true. That people believe(d) the stories is not assurance they are true.

People who believe the stories may have psychological experiences related to the stories; however, their testimonials are not 'facts'.

Promoters of the stories making emotional presentations and appeals are not 'facts'
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #4

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

Your post here seems to demonstrate one who has very little understanding of what we actually have contained in the NT.
In a current thread someone said:
realworldjack wrote:But again, here is the fact of the matter. We have facts, and evidence surrounding the claims in the NT.
To which you reply,
Correction: You have unverified TALES
tale
/t�l/
noun
a fictitious or true narrative or story, especially one that is imaginatively recounted.

So then, as you can clearly see, "tales" can be true, and I am not sure how one would demonstrate that what is recorded in the NT would be, "imaginatively recounted"?

At any rate, you would be correct that these reports (tales) cannot be verified. However, it would also be a fact that we have these reports, (tales) and these reports, (tales) cannot be demonstrated to be false. The point here of course is, these reports, (tales) would be one of the facts we have surrounding the claims made in the NT, and simply acknowledging that we cannot verify these reports, (tales) does not in any way, verify they would be false. In other words, I am failing to see a point?
in a book and try to use the tales as 'facts'
The point here is, I am the one whom you have quoted above, and I have never in any way, suggested these reports, (tales) would be true. However, what would be a fact is, we have the reports. You understand this to be a fact, and you also understand that these reports, (tales) have not been demonstrated to be false, because if they had, there would be no need in this site, which you spend so much of your time on, attempting to do just that.

Another point here would be, since you have quoted me, then it would seem best to stick with the comments the one you have quoted may have made, instead of making it seem as though, the one you have quoted, would have insisted the reports, or claims, would be true.
to support themselves or each other
This is certainly where one demonstrates a lack of understanding of what is actually contained in the NT. Because you see, the authors contained in the NT, never intended for their writings to be contained in a book, because the authors would have had no idea about any sort of book their writings would be contained in. Rather, what is contained in the NT, is different writings, by different authors.

Therefore, when one is comparing what one author may have recorded, with what another author may have recorded, they are not, and cannot be comparing what the NT has to say, because the NT does not say anything at all, but rather the authors who are contained in the NT. So then, we are comparing what different authors have to say, and not what the NT has to say.

Of course, you may want to attempt to argue that the authors would have been connected in some sort of way, and I happen to believe they would have been connected, but I also realize that I cannot demonstrate this to be a fact, and I will assure you that simply because they report much the same things, does not in any way demonstrate they would have been connected.
OR claim that the tales must be true because many believe.
Again, since you saw fit to quote from me, it would be better if you stick with the arguments I have made, and I can assure you that I have never made such an argument, and cannot imagine why anyone could come to the conclusion that this would be any sort of argument at all?
In reasoned discussion or debate one does NOT even attempt to use a source to verify itself.
Again, the NT is not the source. Rather, it would be the authors contained in the NT who would be the source. This would be no different than folks who would have witnessed 9-11, all writing about what they may have witnessed, and then years later, one would combine all these writings into one book. We could then compare what each author may have reported, right there is the same book, but we would not insist they all would be the same source, but rather understand they were all different sources, which were contained into one book.
In reasoned discussion or debate one does NOT even attempt to use a source to verify itself. It makes no sense to say, 'The book is true because it says it is (or because I believe it is)' or 'Chapter one is true because chapter two tells a similar story'. It is also irrational to say, 'Many believed so it must be true' (Argumentum ad populum)
I do not know who you are debating here, but it certainly would not be me, because I would never make such an argument? This is what would be called a, "straw man".
1) List Bible verses that deal with the 'resurrection'. Those are the tales to be supported.
My friend, I am not insisting the reports would be true, but rather there are facts, and evidence surrounding the claims which are made, and you demonstrate this to be the case, since you argue these facts, and evidence most days here on this site. One of those facts, are the claims themselves, and I acknowledge the fact that these claims have not been demonstrated to be true. However, it would also be a fact that, these claims have not been demonstrated to false.

Therefore, it is a fact that we have the claims. It is also a fact that there is a reason we have these claims. I look at the facts, and evidence we have, and come to an opinion based upon these facts, and evidence, understanding that my opinion, cannot be demonstrated to be a fact. Others, look at these facts, and evidence, and come to their own opinion, but the fact of the matter remains, that none of us has been able to demonstrate that our opinion would be fact.
2) List supporting facts and evidence supporting each (Not just repeating the tales or saying that many believed)
As I have been saying, this debate has been raging for thousands of years now, with many well educated, and intelligent folks on both sides of the equation, with many of them writing book volumes, and continuing to debate each other over these very things, which sort of demonstrates that this issue is not nearly as simple as many folks on both sides would like to believe.

Therefore, I will leave you with this. There are many folks, (scholars) who are convinced the reports in the NT would be false. However, they understand there are facts, and evidence in support of these claims, which causes them to have to attempt to refute the facts, and evidence we have.

As an example, many of these folks want to insist, that it is very POSSIBLE, that the Gospels, MAY not have been written by those they have been attributed to, and may have been written by those many, many years later, who would have simply been writing down what they were told down through the years.

However, these folks understand they have a problem here, and that problem would be the FACT, that we have very good evidence that the author of the letters to Theophilus would have traveled with Paul of his journeys. Knowing that we have this evidence, these folks have uncovered an ancient literary device, and have suggested that this author may have been using this device, and did not intend to be understood as having traveled with Paul.

Next, these folks would also like to believe, that all the authors in the NT would have had some sort of agenda, and their writings would have been an attempt to spread propaganda, in order to persuade the masses. However, they have recognized a problem with this idea, which would be the fact that the author to Theophilus, certainly seems to have addressed only one individual, and they understand that if this was indeed the case, then it would not bode very well for their case. So then, these folks refer to the meaning of the name Theophilus, in order to make the case that this author may have been addressing a wider audience.

Then of course we have the FACT that, Luke has been said to have been the author of the letters to Theophlius, and this author ends his second letter with Paul being under arrest for some 2 years. Add to this the FACT that, in 3 of the letters attributed to Paul, the author just so happens to mention the name of Luke being along with him, and in a letter addressed to Timothy, which would have clearly been written while the author would have been under arrest, the author just so happens to mention to Timothy, "only Luke is with me".

And again, because these folks who are so convinced these reports would be false, understand this to be evidence against their case, they come up with the idea that Paul MAY not have been the author of this letter. Well, how convenient!

You see, I could continue on, and on, but these things demonstrate clearly that those opposed understand there is evidence in support of these claims, which is exactly the reason they must, and have to come up with the other explanations, in an attempt to explain away what they know to be facts, and evidence.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Zzyzx »

Realworldjack wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: In reasoned discussion or debate one does NOT even attempt to use a source to verify itself.
Again, the NT is not the source.
Okay. Set the NT aside (if it is not the source) and provide verifiable evidence that a 'resurrection' occurred.
Realworldjack wrote: Your post here seems to demonstrate one who has very little understanding of what we actually have contained in the NT.
Correction: The OP may suggest different understanding of the NT than you might prefer. However, you have no legitimate claim to superior or more complete understanding.
Realworldjack wrote: So then, as you can clearly see, "tales" can be true,
Yes. Tales can be true or can be false or a mixture of the two. Those who maintain that the tales are true have the burden of providing verifiable evidence.
Realworldjack wrote: and I am not sure how one would demonstrate that what is recorded in the NT would be, "imaginatively recounted"?
One might start with a definition of 'imaginative' (involving new, different, or exciting ideasinvolving the use of your imagination www.macmillandictionary.com) and note that tales of long-dead bodies coming back to life demonstrates the concept.
Realworldjack wrote: At any rate, you would be correct that these reports (tales) cannot be verified.
Thank you.
Realworldjack wrote: However, it would also be a fact that we have these reports, (tales)
Yes, we have tales about many 'gods'
Realworldjack wrote: and these reports, (tales) cannot be demonstrated to be false.
Yes, tales of numerous 'gods' cannot be demonstrated to be false.
Realworldjack wrote: The point here of course is, these reports, (tales) would be one of the facts we have surrounding the claims made in the NT,
Correction: The 'reports' ARE the claims.
Realworldjack wrote: and simply acknowledging that we cannot verify these reports, (tales) does not in any way, verify they would be false.
Said tales have not been verified as true or false. They are just tales in an ancient book, similar to many other ancient tales.
Realworldjack wrote: In other words, I am failing to see a point?
I trust that readers do not fail (or refuse) to see my point that unverified tales making claims are not facts supporting the claims they make.
Realworldjack wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: in a book and try to use the tales as 'facts'
The point here is, I am the one whom you have quoted above, and I have never in any way, suggested these reports, (tales) would be true.
Thank you
Realworldjack wrote: However, what would be a fact is, we have the reports.
Yes, we have tales ('reports') that make claims.
Realworldjack wrote: You understand this to be a fact, and you also understand that these reports, (tales) have not been demonstrated to be false,
We have copies of copies of copies of writings by authors of unknown or disputed identity, writing decades later presenting their version of events that have not been shown to be anything more than 'imaginative' folklore.
Realworldjack wrote: because if they had, there would be no need in this site, which you spend so much of your time on, attempting to do just that.
Correction: I make NO attempt to show that the 'reports' (gospel tales) are false. Instead, I ASK those who claim them to be true to provide verifiable evidence to support their claim.
Realworldjack wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: To support themselves or each other
This is certainly where one demonstrates a lack of understanding of what is actually contained in the NT. Because you see, the authors contained in the NT, never intended for their writings to be contained in a book, because the authors would have had no idea about any sort of book their writings would be contained in. Rather, what is contained in the NT, is different writings, by different authors.
Roman churchmen centuries later selected writings from earlier times that reflected their point of view.
Realworldjack wrote: Therefore, when one is comparing what one author may have recorded, with what another author may have recorded, they are not, and cannot be comparing what the NT has to say, because the NT does not say anything at all, but rather the authors who are contained in the NT. So then, we are comparing what different authors have to say, and not what the NT has to say.
Four salesmen for a company write glowing accounts of its product. Management selects their writings from among many to include in promotional literature. It would be rather foolish to claim that the accounts are not connected.
Realworldjack wrote: Of course, you may want to attempt to argue that the authors would have been connected in some sort of way, and I happen to believe they would have been connected, but I also realize that I cannot demonstrate this to be a fact, and I will assure you that simply because they report much the same things, does not in any way demonstrate they would have been connected.
If / since Gospel writers appear to have copied passages word-for-word from one another or from a common source, there IS demonstration that they were 'connected'.
Realworldjack wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: OR claim that the tales must be true because many believe.
Again, since you saw fit to quote from me, it would be better if you stick with the arguments I have made, and I can assure you that I have never made such an argument, and cannot imagine why anyone could come to the conclusion that this would be any sort of argument at all?
You are not the only person who attempts to defend Bible tales.
Realworldjack wrote: Rather, it would be the authors contained in the NT who would be the source. This would be no different than folks who would have witnessed 9-11, all writing about what they may have witnessed, and then years later, one would combine all these writings into one book. We could then compare what each author may have reported, right there is the same book, but we would not insist they all would be the same source, but rather understand they were all different sources, which were contained into one book.
If stories in a single book are the only source of information about an event occurred, are we well advised to conclude that the accounts are true and accurate?

Are we well advised to base life decisions on tales that could be true or could be false?
Realworldjack wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: 1) List Bible verses that deal with the 'resurrection'. Those are the tales to be supported.
My friend, I am not insisting the reports would be true, but rather there are facts, and evidence surrounding the claims which are made, and you demonstrate this to be the case, since you argue these facts, and evidence most days here on this site. One of those facts, are the claims themselves, and I acknowledge the fact that these claims have not been demonstrated to be true. However, it would also be a fact that, these claims have not been demonstrated to false.
If we cannot determine if tales are true or false, is it prudent to make life decisions based on the tales being true?

In reasoned debate does one use Appeal to Ignorance (it hasn't been proved false) as an argument for their position?
Realworldjack wrote: Therefore, it is a fact that we have the claims. It is also a fact that there is a reason we have these claims. I look at the facts, and evidence we have, and come to an opinion based upon these facts, and evidence, understanding that my opinion, cannot be demonstrated to be a fact. Others, look at these facts, and evidence, and come to their own opinion, but the fact of the matter remains, that none of us has been able to demonstrate that our opinion would be fact.
Thus, a reasoned response is “I don't know if the tales are true or not�
Realworldjack wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: 2) List supporting facts and evidence supporting each (Not just repeating the tales or saying that many believed)
As I have been saying, this debate has been raging for thousands of years now, with many well educated, and intelligent folks on both sides of the equation, with many of them writing book volumes, and continuing to debate each other over these very things, which sort of demonstrates that this issue is not nearly as simple as many folks on both sides would like to believe.
Nice dodge. Present verifiable evidence – something more than the tales themselves and assumptions based on the tales.

Note: 'Someone wrote about it� does not constitute verifiable evidence.
Non-Theist

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

Realworldjack wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

Your post here seems to demonstrate one who has very little understanding of what we actually have contained in the NT.
But wait. "We" needs to refer to everyone, not just a selected faction of believers who have twisted things around to satisfy their personal desires.

Everyone already knows that there is nothing convincing or compelling in the NT. Even theists themselves cannot agree on what is contained in the NT or what it is supposedly about.

Which faction of Christendom do you speak for Realworldjack?

You can't be speaking for them all because they reject each others dogma. They do not agree among themselves what the NT even has to say.

The fact is that the NT doesn't contain anything compelling as supernatural facts. It certainly doesn't contain anything that has convinced historians.

Zzyzx is asking about claim of a resurrection of a supposed Son of God. Where are the facts behind that. Any honest person will tell you that there are none whatsoever. Period. Even the vast majority of Christian factions will agree to this and they hold that it's a matter of faith to believe it.

If you belong to a faction of Christianity that claims that there are facts to back up the resurrection of Jesus, then you belong to a very minor extremist group of theists.

There aren't even any fact to show that this Jesus fellow that is described in the NT ever even lived. Perhaps there may have been a historical person who gave ruse to the rumors we see in the NT, but there are certainly no facts that this person ever did or said everything the NT claims he said or did. In fact, the authors of the NT have Jesus contradicting himself. Which is highly unlike if this character actually existed.

There are no facts that this man Jesus ever died. Never mind rising from the dead.

Moreover, the rumors that claim he rose from the dead have him walking around still scared with the wounds of his crucifixion. This is strong evidence that a man survived a crucifixion, not that he was miraculously risen from the dead by a supernatural God.

In fact, what kind of a God would have rose Jesus from the dead and not have bothered to heal his physical wounds at the same time? The mere fact that the rumors have Jesus retaining his wounds strongly suggests that he had survived the ordeal and had never actually died in the first place.

Sorry Realworldjack, but you have no facts. All you can possibly have is speculation and wishful thinking on your part.

If there were any facts to backup the NT stories they would be both historic and scientific facts. But they are neither. Therefore there are no facts to back up these tales.

The fact of the matter is that you are necessarily accepting religious dogma yourself that must only be accepted on pure faith. Yet you have either been convinced by others, or by yourself that it's based on facts.

Where are the facts Realworldjack?

1. Please show me the facts that show that this Jesus character ever actually died in the first place?

If you claim that such facts exist, let's see them.

2. Please show me the facts that show that this Jesus character ever actually said or did any of the things reported in the NT?

If you claim that such facts exist, let's see them.

We all know that no such facts exist. Even the vast majority of Christian theists know this. This is why they preach that a person must have faith that these stories are true. They cannot be shown to be true by facts, because no facts exist to back them up.

In fact, some factions of Christian theology even hold that God purposefully make it so that there could be no facts precisely for the reason of demanding that we believe on pure faith.

So many Christian theists of demoninations and sects of Christianity would even claim that the NT itself demands that your claim to have facts must necessarily be false.

So there are many forms of Christianity who would deny your claim as a matter of principle.

So who do you speak for Realworldjack?

You clearly don't speak for the vast majority of Christendom.

You clearly don't speak for the authors of the NT. Are you even aware that Jesus own disciples weren't convinced that Jesus was the Son of God until after the supposed resurrection, and even after God had to speak from the clouds proclaiming Jesus to be his son.

Think about it Realworldjack, even the God in the NT didn't expect anyone to believe Jesus was his son, he had to proclaim it from the clouds.

Where are your facts? If you have any facts let's see them.

You have nothing. All you have are empty arguments proclaiming that you have facts that you apparently cannot even produce.

If you could produce them then what are you waiting for?

Clearly they don't exist.

If someone taught you that there are facts to back up the NT, then ask them to provide you with these facts so we can also see them.

What's the hold up?

If you're going to claim to have facts you need to produce them.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #7

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to post 5 by Zzyzx]

Okay. Set the NT aside (if it is not the source) and provide verifiable evidence that a 'resurrection' occurred.
My friend, the fact that these authors made the claims is indeed verifiable, and it is a fact that you, nor anyone else has demonstrated these claims would be false. In fact, you have not even demonstrated there would be no reason to believe the claims. So then, what facts, and evidence do we have which would give us a reason to be under the impression, these authors may have reported falsely?

You see, this street runs both ways. There is a reason we have the reports, and if there are those who maintain the reports, would be false, then they are under obligation to demonstrate how they would be false. However, as it seems to stand, neither you, nor I, are insisting the reports would be true or false, but rather seem to hold an opinion of the facts, and evidence we have. Therefore, we do not own a burden, but rather can explain what it is we believe, along with the facts, and evidence in support of what it is we believe.
Correction: The OP may suggest different understanding of the NT than you might prefer. However, you have no legitimate claim to superior or more complete understanding.
Correction! We are talking about the fact that all the Gospels were authored by different individuals, who could not have possibly known about any sort of NT that their writings would have been contained in, hundred, and hundreds of years later, and could not have been writing in order to be contained in such a NT. Therefore, if there are those who have a different understanding than this, they would be in error.
Yes. Tales can be true or can be false or a mixture of the two. Those who maintain that the tales are true have the burden of providing verifiable evidence.
I do not insist the reports would be true. However, the same would go for those who "maintain" the reports would be false. In other words, these folks own the burden to "provide verifiable evidence the reports would be false".
One might start with a definition of 'imaginative' (involving new, different, or exciting ideasinvolving the use of your imagination www.macmillandictionary.com) and note that tales of long-dead bodies coming back to life demonstrates the concept.
How does one go about demonstrating these authors were using their imagination as opposed to reporting the facts, as they knew them? As an example, the author of the letters to Theophilus explains exactly how he obtained his information, and he never mentions his imagination. How would one go about demonstrating he would be reporting falsely, without using their own imagination of how things may have happened, such as when there are those who claim they MAY have copied?
Yes, we have tales about many 'gods'
We are not talking about "many gods", rather we are talking about a resurrection, and if you would like to compare historical evidence, I will be glad to do so.
Yes, tales of numerous 'gods' cannot be demonstrated to be false.
What about the resurrection?
Correction: The 'reports' ARE the claims.
My friend, reports, and claims, are evidence, unless you can demonstrate they would be false.
Said tales have not been verified as true or false. They are just tales in an ancient book, similar to many other ancient tales.
Exactly how are they similar? It is one thing to make this claim. It is quite another to demonstrate the claim.
I trust that readers do not fail (or refuse) to see my point that unverified tales making claims are not facts supporting the claims they make.
Appealing to the audience, does nothing to demonstrate a point. It is a fact we have the claims. It is a fact that there is a reason we have the claims. So then, unless you can demonstrate how, and why the claims would be false, the most you can do is to say, "the claims may be false".
Yes, we have tales ('reports') that make claims.
Thank you!
We have copies of copies of copies of writings by authors of unknown or disputed identity, writing decades later presenting their version of events that have not been shown to be anything more than 'imaginative' folklore.
None of this demonstrates the reports to be false, nor does it make it likely. This does not even demonstrate that the authors would not have been the authors who are said to be the authors, and it certainly does not demonstrate that it would be, "imaginative folklore".
Correction: I make NO attempt to show that the 'reports' (gospel tales) are false. Instead, I ASK those who claim them to be true to provide verifiable evidence to support their claim.
Then we seem to be in the same boat then. In other words, we both look at, and acknowledge the facts, and evidence surrounding the resurrection, and we share our opinion of the facts, and evidence we have.
Roman churchmen centuries later selected writings from earlier times that reflected their point of view.
This is an opinion, stated as if it would be a fact. Because you see, one of the stated criteria was that the material would be believed to be written by an Apostle, or one believed to be a close associate of the Apostles, whether one would agree with what was said, or not. Of course one could suggest these men would have been dishonest, which would not be surprising, since it is suggested that the authors themselves would have had alternative motives, but the fact is, it has not been demonstrated that these authors were included because the folks who made the decisions would have agreed with what was said. In fact, there were divisions over what should be contained, exactly because there were those who were not in agreement with what would be said.
Four salesmen for a company write glowing accounts of its product. Management selects their writings from among many to include in promotional literature. It would be rather foolish to claim that the accounts are not connected.
How in the world would the fact that all these writings which were written hundreds of years before, being selected, demonstrate in any way, the authors would be connected? Let us recall, there are many scholars who make the argument, that we have no way to demonstrate who the authors may have been, nor when they may have wrote, and they are correct. So then, if we cannot demonstrate who the authors were, nor when they wrote, then how in the world can we demonstrate they were connected simply because they were all selected to be contained in the NT, hundreds of years later? Either, we know who the authors were, and can demonstrate how they were connected, or we have no idea if they may have been connected or not.
If / since Gospel writers appear to have copied passages word-for-word from one another or from a common source, there IS demonstration that they were 'connected'.
My friend, you see the word "appear" that you use above? There is a reason you use this word, and it is because you have to. Therefore, since you have to use this word, This IS NO demonstration at all they were connected. Moreover, there would be other explanation which can explain these things.

I will also point out the fact that those who attempt to make the argument. "these authors would have copied each other" clearly understand they have a problem, because they understand that this idea could not possibly explain all the facts we have. Therefore, they are forced to come up with the possibility, that the authors may have all shared a copy of the same common source, of which we have no idea of what this source would have been, nor if it ever even existed. So then, it seems we do have those who insist "unverified tales" would be true.
You are not the only person who attempts to defend Bible tales.
But the thing is, you did not quote any of these folks in the OP. This sort of demonstrates one who is playing to the audience, and in fact, you have admitted to as much in the past. So.........? Who is it that has an agenda? It ain't me.
If stories in a single book are the only source of information about an event occurred
My friend, before this material was contained in this book, we had 4 different accounts of the same event, by 4 different authors. Now that they are contained in this book, we have 4 different accounts of the same event, by 4 different authors.
are we well advised to conclude that the accounts are true and accurate?
This is a "straw man" because I have never, and would never make such an argument, but of course you could be debating someone other than the person you quoted in the OP.
Are we well advised to base life decisions on tales that could be true or could be false?
Are you making life decisions based upon the idea a tale could be false?
If we cannot determine if tales are true or false, is it prudent to make life decisions based on the tales being true?
Is it prudent to base life decisions based on the tales being false?
In reasoned debate does one use Appeal to Ignorance (it hasn't been proved false) as an argument for their position?
And this is not what I have done, but rather what you have done. In other words, it has been your "APPEAL" that the claims have not been demonstrated to be true, as a reason to dismiss the claims. I have simply responded to your "APPEAL" by demonstrating the fact that this is a very bad argument, because the claims have also not been demonstrated to be false, and not as a reason they should be believed, as you seem to do by "APPEALING" to the fact that they have not been demonstrated to be true, as a reason they should be dismissed.

In other words, it was you who appealed to the fact that the claims have not been demonstrated to be true, in order to appeal to the idea they should be dismissed, and I simply appealed to the fact that they have not been demonstrated to be false, in order to demonstrate how bad of an argument you were making, which had nothing to do with a reason to believe the claims.
Thus, a reasoned response is “I don't know if the tales are true or not�
I think another "reasoned response" would be, "I cannot demonstrate the claims to be true, but have been convinced by the facts, and evidence that they are true".
Nice dodge. Present verifiable evidence – something more than the tales themselves and assumptions based on the tales.

Note: 'Someone wrote about it� does not constitute verifiable evidence.
This is simply false. The reports, are indeed evidence, and those opposed understand this very well, which is why they spend so much time attempting to explain away this evidence we have, exactly because it is evidence, otherwise there would be nothing for them to debate.
Last edited by Realworldjack on Thu May 07, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SallyF
Guru

Post #8

Post by SallyF »

[Replying to post 7 by Realworldjack]

The reports, are indeed evidence, and those opposed understand this very well, which is why they spend so much time attempting to explain away this evidence we have, exactly because it is evidence, otherwise there would be nothing for them to debate.
The REPORTS are the entirety of what Christians tout as evidence.

Well, that and "faith" - which CAN lead people to believe in …

Can you be certain that you have not swallowed fake news - with several people giving variations on the same fake news …?

Angels and magic and resurrections are USUALLY just the stuff of make-believe.

Maybe the Gospel writers just made stuff up as propaganda for their Leader …?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #9

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to post 8 by SallyF]

The REPORTS are the entirety of what Christians tout as evidence.
My friend, it is a fact we have these claims. It is a fact that there is a reason we have these claims. While you would be correct, and your whole argument day, after day here on this site simply seems to be, "the claims cannot be demonstrated to be anymore than imaginary tales", it would also be a fact that these claims have not in any way been demonstrated to be, nothing more than imaginary tales. In other words, your arguments are not very good, because simply continuing to repeat the fact that the claims have not been demonstrated to be true, does not in any way demonstrate the claims to be false, and does not even cause them to likely be false.
Well, that and "faith" - which CAN lead people to believe in …
When you address a particular post, you really need to address the points made in that particular post, because I have never appealed to "faith", and I do not need "faith" in order to believe the resurrection occurred, because we have facts, and evidence in support.
Can you be certain that you have not swallowed fake news - with several people giving variations on the same fake news …?
Exactly how certain can you be, the reports would be false?
Angels and magic and resurrections are USUALLY just the stuff of make-believe.
Another very weak argument which does not demonstrate a thing in the world!
Maybe the Gospel writers just made stuff up as propaganda for their Leader …?
Maybe so? So what would be the facts, and evidence this would be the case? Because you see, it would be a fact that the overwhelming majority of what is contained in the NT would be addressed to particular audiences at the time, who would have already been believers, with no concern, nor any idea that anyone else would ever read these writings other than the original intended audience, and they certainly could not have known about any sort of Bible.

SO.............? Exactly how would that work out to be, attempting to spread propaganda, in order to persuade the masses, when the writing were addressed to those who would have already been believers? Could this be something you have dreamed up in your imagination?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Zzyzx »

Realworldjack wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Okay. Set the NT aside (if it is not the source) and provide verifiable evidence that a 'resurrection' occurred.
My friend, the fact that these authors made the claims is indeed verifiable, and it is a fact that you, nor anyone else has demonstrated these claims would be false.
Yup, some people evidently told / wrote tales long ago and far away. Their writings are not available. Centuries later the tales were recorded and copies of copies of copies were made by hand.

You have not set the NT aside but are waving it around as though it verified itself.
Realworldjack wrote: In fact, you have not even demonstrated there would be no reason to believe the claims.
“Here are the tales, prove them false� is classical argument from ignorance.
Realworldjack wrote: So then, what facts, and evidence do we have which would give us a reason to be under the impression, these authors may have reported falsely?
We have no means to determine if the tales are true or not, accurate or not.

Shall we believe them and base life decisions on the gamble that they are true and accurate? If so, why?
Realworldjack wrote: I do not insist the reports would be true.
Thank you
Realworldjack wrote: However, the same would go for those who "maintain" the reports would be false.
Take that up with those who 'maintain the reports would be false'.
Realworldjack wrote: other words, these folks own the burden to "provide verifiable evidence the reports would be false".
Since we cannot determine truth and accuracy, the most rational position is “I don't know�. If we don't know if something is true and accurate, we would be very foolish to base life decisions on the assumption that it was true and accurate.
Realworldjack wrote: My friend, reports, and claims, are evidence, unless you can demonstrate they would be false.
Correction: reports and claims that ARE the tale cannot rationally be used to verify themselves.
Realworldjack wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Said tales have not been verified as true or false. They are just tales in an ancient book, similar to many other ancient tales.
Exactly how are they similar? It is one thing to make this claim. It is quite another to demonstrate the claim.
Tales of gods and godmen dying and coming back to life are fairly common in ancient literature. If unfamiliar, Google search for 'gods and godmen dying and coming back to life' yields abundant results including https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resurrection and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dying-and-rising_deity

The Christian claim of 'resurrection' is not unique. “Take a number and stand in line. Others were here ahead of you.�
Realworldjack wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: I trust that readers do not fail (or refuse) to see my point that unverified tales making claims are not facts supporting the claims they make.
Appealing to the audience, does nothing to demonstrate a point.
My intent debating here is to present ideas to readers not to make 'points' with anyone. I help promoters of Bible tales to demonstrate to readers that the claims and stories used to propagandize for religion (and the 'gods' portrayed) have not been demonstrated to be anything more than products of human imagination. I appreciate the help.
Realworldjack wrote: It is a fact we have the claims.
Yes, there are CLAIMS. So what? If someone claims to have flown by flapping his arms, you have claims.
Realworldjack wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: We have copies of copies of copies of writings by authors of unknown or disputed identity, writing decades later presenting their version of events that have not been shown to be anything more than 'imaginative' folklore.
None of this demonstrates the reports to be false, nor does it make it likely.
In reasoned discussion or debate it is not my burden to prove claims false. It is the burden of the claimant to prove them true.

Again, all you have are claims and stories with nothing to verify their truth and accuracy. Trying to use tales to prove themselves true is a fool's errand.
Non-Theist