The Worst Yahweh Act?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Thomas123
Sage

The Worst Yahweh Act?

Post #1

Post by Thomas123 »

I sometimes feel like I am reading a different Bible than the one, other people use!

What is 'worst' about the Old Testament God, Yahweh!

Was it the Eden incident? Pick your worst incident. Just one, Please!

I want to make a list and try to consider them. Maybe make a Poll.

Thanks!

SallyF
Guru

Post #21

Post by SallyF »

Thomas123 wrote: Great contributions, keep them coming,I am going to list these and consider them over time, the one about the manure water was new to me and pretty gross!
Plenty to ponder on!

The Yahweh Monster is opposed to dilution of the Chosen/Master Race …

"Just then one of the Israelites came and brought a Midianite woman into his family, in the sight of Moses and in the sight of the whole congregation of the Israelites. When Phinehas, son of Eleazar, son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he got up and left the congregation. Taking a spear in his hand, he went after the Israelite man into the tent, and pierced the two of them, the Israelite and the woman, through the belly. So the plague was stopped among the people of Israel. Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying: 'Phinehas, son of Eleazar, son of Aaron the priest, has turned back my wrath from the Israelites by manifesting such zeal among them on my behalf that in my jealousy I did not consume the Israelites. Therefore say, "I hereby grant him my covenant of peace. It shall be for him and for his descendants after him a covenant of perpetual priesthood, because he was zealous for his God, and made atonement for the Israelites.' '"

The "Word of God" has it that the Yahweh Monster sent a plague because it was - once again - offended by "forbidden love".
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: The Worst Yahweh Act?

Post #22

Post by JehovahsWitness »

marco wrote: Of course I am not judging God.

That's good. I'm not either. I didn't mean to imply you were I was making a general statement.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Difflugia wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:Where is the moral outrage over the murder of James?
I'm outraged! ...

Good its a sad fact that the victims of evil often get forgotten in the rhetoric. Herod got what he deserved, it's sad that a human had to come to that, but justice was served.
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #24

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 17 by Difflugia]

The question is why he would refer to him as other than Adonai, Lord or any non-pagan name.
BUT Zeus with a delta is Deus.

Which is GOD!
No help there.

Full circle.

Why is the God of the NT Zeus?
I am seriously loving it.

For years I sought to solidify the connection, but could never get a solid lead on how Jesus referred to God.

Zeus.
A mistake only a Greek could make.
In a neo-Judaic book.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by Difflugia »

Willum wrote:BUT Zeus with a delta is Deus.

Which is GOD!
In Latin, not Greek. Latin Deus is cognate with, but not directly derived from Zeus (Dios). Both derive from the proto-Indoeuropean word for sky. Neither is related to Greek theos.

SallyF
Guru

Post #26

Post by SallyF »

Difflugia wrote:

Which is GOD!
In Latin, not Greek. Latin Deus is cognate with, but not directly derived from Zeus (Dios). Both derive from the proto-Indoeuropean word for sky. Neither is related to Greek theos.

I TREASURE a thorough understanding of "God".

The genocidal, plague-sending, human-sacrifice-craving Yahweh Monster of biblical "scripture" is, of course, not God and is never shown to be anything other than human make-believe.

It is my view that people who believe they believe in "God", should try and find out a WHOLE lot more about "God".

Which one can't do in the brainwashing milieu of Bible Class.

Member Difflugia leads us on righteous paths of independent inquiry …

Evidence
Cognates stemming either from the root *dyeu ("daylight, bright sky"), the epithet *Dyēus Ph₂ter ("Father Sky"), the vṛddhi-derivative *deiwós ("celestial", a "god"), the derivative *diwyós ("divine"), or the back-formation *deynos (a "day") are among the most widely attested in Indo-European languages.[2][3]

Laurel-wreathed head of Zeus, c 360–340 BC.
PIE: *dyēus, the daylight-sky god,[2][3]
Indo-Iranian: *dyaus,[33]
Sanskrit: Dyáuṣ (द�यौष�), the god of Heaven, and dyú (द�य�), the common word for "heaven",[1][4]
Old Avestan: dyaoš (�����), "heaven", mentioned in a single verse of the Avesta,[34] and Young Avestan: diiaoš, "hell", as a result of the Zoroastrian religious transformation,[35][33]
Mycenaean Greek: di-we (�� /diwei/), dative case of an otherwise scarcely attested name,[36]
Greek: Zeus (Ζε�ς), the god of the Sky,[4] also Boeotian Lac., Corinth., Rhod. Deús (Δε�ς),[36][37]
Italic: *djous (dious),[35]
Old Latin: Dioue or loue,[37]
Latin: Jove (Iove), the god of the Sky,[4][35] and Diūs (Fidius), the god of oaths,[38]
Anatolian: *diéu-, *diu-, a "god",[39]
Hittite: šīuš (𒅆�), a "god" or the Sun-God,[10][40]
Palaic: tiuna, "divine", a "god",[40][7]
Lydian: ciw-, a "god",[40]
Illyrian: dei- or -dí, meaning "heaven" or "God", as in Dei-pátrous, the "sky-father", and Perën-di, a sky and thunder god (here attached to per-en-, an extension of PIE *per- "to strike"),[41][42][43]
Proto-Messapic: *dyēs,[44]
Messapic: Zis or Dis, the sky-god,[45]
Albanian: Zojz, a sky and lightning god,[46][47]
Thracian: Zi-, Diu-, or Dias- (in personal names),[45]
Phrygian: Tiy-.[45]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyeus
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Tcg
Savant

Post #27

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by Thomas123]

This is a bit like trying to determine the worst Milli Vanilli song. They all qualify.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

brunumb
Savant

Post #28

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 6 by marco]
Imagine a father who has an adorable little daughter whom he idolises. Imagine someone asking him to murder his little girl. Can there be a worse suggestion?
For me, Yahweh asking Abraham to kill his son is wicked beyond belief. The outcome is an irrelevance, no matter how many angels descended.
Well, there is the actually killing of all the first born of Egypt (including livestock) just to get a mere human being to change his mind. Despicable.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

marco
Savant

Post #29

Post by marco »

brunumb wrote:
Well, there is the actually killing of all the first born of Egypt (including livestock) just to get a mere human being to change his mind. Despicable.
Yes we are spoiled for choice. The French poet Baudelaire wrote "Fleurs du Mal" flowers of evil, and Yahweh grew them. Here are two lines from the poem that suit Yahweh perfectly.

Il rêve d'échafauds en fumant son houka.
Tu le connais, lecteur, ce monstre délicat,

He dreams of scaffolds while smoking his hookah.
You know him, reader, this delicate monster.

Killing innocent babies isn't nice, of course, but the idea of getting a father to be so servile as to attempt the slaughter of his own son for me tops all the evil in human literature.

Willum
Savant

Post #30

Post by Willum »

Difflugia wrote:

Which is GOD!
I think that is just silly Apologist propaganda.
Lord knows there is enough of it.

We know Greek and Latin had convenient spelling.
Spelling wasn't made consistent, well, I don't know when, but we can examine exactly the likely connections.

1. Why would Jesus refer to "God" as anything other than "YHVH" Adonai or any acceptable convention. His referring to God as god, or YHVH as theos, is nonsensical.
2. Th is pronounced by many as "D." Don't believe me? Just ask any culture hat does not have a "th" sound. The French for example, or more appropriately, Italians. That simply tells you how close th and d, are intuitively.

The real question is why Jesus would use a pagan reference to a god, instead of the more proper "God," in whatever expression.

I think it is probable that monotheism was still on shaky grounds at the time. But either way, it would be wrong and blasphemy.