Savant

It seems like Mark thought Jesus was God

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

From this link: https://scottmsullivan.com/2-mind-blowi ... of-christ/

He mentions

Psalm 107:23-32 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV

Mark 4:35-41 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV

Basically Psalm 107 mentions YHVH as calming the sea and then in Mark some guy called Jesus calms the sea.

How can we not see the resemblance?

How can we claim to be Christian and not have faith in who Jesus is?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: It seems like Mark thought Jesus was God

Post #2

Post by PinSeeker »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

There are so many passages like this that you can point out in all four Gospels and Acts, both in quotes directly from Jesus and comments by the writers themselves... and also all of the New Testament epistles... that are just as clear is what Mark says here. Still, some will continue to cling to the opposite narrative, and this is called pride and idolatry, and will continue to be an obstacle until the return of the King. This is not meant to be a discouragement, but it is what it is. Grace and peace to you, Wootah.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

So basically you're saying that if Jesus is reported to have done something God is also spoken of having done, the writers were presenting Jesus as God? Is that about it?

JW

RELATED POST

Did Satan try and get Almighty God to worship him as ...Almighty God?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 54#1011754
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed May 13, 2020 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by PinSeeker »

JehovahsWitness wrote: How do you make that out?
The better question is how do you not?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

PinSeeker wrote:The better question is how do you not?

I "not" by using by the same logic I use so as not to mistake Miley Cyrus for the President. In short I employ common sense.

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

So basically you're saying that if Jesus is reported to have done something God is also spoken of having done, the writers were presenting Jesus as God? Is that about it?

JW

RELATED POST

Did Satan try and get Almighty God to worship him as ...Almighty God?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 54#1011754

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by PinSeeker »

JehovahsWitness wrote: So basically you're saying that if Jesus is reported to have done something God is also spoken of having done, the writers were presenting Jesus as God? Is that about it?
Not quite. Jesus is reported to have done something that only God can do. In that way, all the New Testament writers (Mark included) are presenting Jesus as in the the form (μο�φή / morphe) of God/Jehovah. This irrefutably indicates a condition that began in the past and continues into the present and future -- indeed it has no beginning and no end -- and is the outward expression of Christ's inmost being as the expression of the divine essence.

Grace and peace to you, JW.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by PinSeeker »

JehovahsWitness wrote: I "not" by using by the same logic I use so as not to mistake Miley Cyrus for the President. In short I employ common sense.
Heh, heh, heh... The question was, JW, to finish it out, how do you not "make it out," (as you put it)? I appreciate you trying to point out grammar mistakes, albeit unsuccessfully, in an obvious attempt to discredit. Your response says more than it actually says... So be it.

So anyway... Ah, so you "not" by applying the worldly to the things not of this world. Yeah, that's a problem.

No need to be so testy.

Grace and peace to you, JW.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

PinSeeker wrote:Not quite. Jesus is reported to have done something that only God can do. .

How do you know only God can calm a storm*?
  • Can God give not give extraordinary powers to a lesser being or not ?
  • By what logic does one propose that an OMNIPOTENT cannot empower someone else to do something He can?
  • Do you want to send a note to an omnipotent God that He can do anything ... except delegate ?
JOHN 5:19

"Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does

JW

* There is in fact indication in scripture that Satan can also control the weather or at the very least provoke storms (compare Job 1:19)

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by PinSeeker »

[Replying to post 8 by JehovahsWitness]
I have no problem with you clinging to your narrative, JW. Grace and peace to you.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Difflugia »

Wootah wrote:Basically Psalm 107 mentions YHVH as calming the sea and then in Mark some guy called Jesus calms the sea.

How can we not see the resemblance?
Whether there's an intentional connection to Psalm 107 or not, there's an even more unmistakable connection to Jonah 1:4-6:
Yahweh sent a great wind upon the sea and there was a mighty storm so that the ship would probably be destroyed. The mariners were afraid, each man called to his gods, and they threw the cargo that was in the ship into the sea to lighten it. But Jonah had gone down to the bottom of the ship, where he lay asleep. So the captain came and said to him, "How can you sleep? Arise and call to your gods, so that the gods will notice us and we won't perish."
Compare Mark 4:37-38:
And there arose a great windstorm and the waves broke into the boat, such that the boat was now filling. But he himself [Jesus] was in the stern, asleep on the cushion. They woke him and said to him, "Teacher, do you not care that we perish?"
The punchline is that Jonah couldn't still the storm because he was fleeing God. Jesus was able to harness the power that was withheld from Jonah. The detail that Jesus was fast asleep in the bottom of the boat is a connection to a very memorable point in the Jonah story. Once Mark has our attention, Jesus completed the miracle that Jonah should have been able to. Jonah couldn't still the storm because he was fleeing God, not because he wasn't God.

To show that's what Mark was doing, the very next story in Mark includes a similar reference to one of Elijah's first miracles. Mark has the Gerasene demoniac quote the widow of Zarephath:

Mark 5:7:
...and crying out with a loud voice, he said, "What have I to do with you, Jesus, Son of the highest God? By God, I beg you not to torment me!"
1 Kings 17:18:
And she said to Elijah, "What have I to do with you, man of God? You have come to me to memorialize my sin and slay my son!"
The audience would be expected to see the connection between Jesus and Elijah, who was considered to be the greatest prophet in terms of commanding (or harnessing, or whatever) the power of God as mighty works. In addition, then, to controlling the weather (which, incidentally, Elijah could also do), chapter 5 establishes that Jesus was as powerful as any of the prophets, being able to command demons (which may be a reference to the extrabiblical "Testament of Solomon"), heal the sick, and raise the dead.