Lake of fire

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Lake of fire

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

Question for everyone. The lake of fire referred to by the traditional Christian/ Catholic/ Fundi churches.

Is it literally a lake of fire? It is figurative? Other?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

kjw47
Banned
Banned

Re: Lake of fire

Post #51

Post by kjw47 »

myth-one.com wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:38 pm
kjw47 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:34 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:31 pm
kjw47 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:12 pm
achilles12604 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:51 pm Question for everyone. The lake of fire referred to by the traditional Christian/ Catholic/ Fundi churches.

It is destruction, forever.
Except for the devil.
Yes the devil will be destroyed eternally.
No, the devil will be tormented eternally.

God throws death and Hades( grave) into the lake of fire. WHY? eternally destroy them, same as all that go in it. It was symbolism concerning eternal suffering.

Capbook
Scholar

Post #52

Post by Capbook »

achilles12604 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:51 pm Question for everyone. The lake of fire referred to by the traditional Christian/ Catholic/ Fundi churches.

Except for the devil.
I believe the devil will be destroyed eternally.
Let me cite Barne's Notes on Rev 20:10;
All the great enemies of the church are destroyed, and henceforward there is to be no array of hostile forces; no combination of malignant powers against the kingdom of God.

And Rev 12:12 confirms it.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #53

Post by myth-one.com »

Capbook wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:56 am

Except for the devil.
All the great enemies of the church are destroyed, and henceforward there is to be no array of hostile forces; no combination of malignant powers against the kingdom of God.

The Bible describes only two types of bodies:

There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. (I Corinthians 15:44)

There are two body types, natural and spiritual and they are different. Each of these body types requires a different birth:

That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. (John 3:6)

The devil is an immortal spiritual bodied being.

Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

He knows he only has a short time until he is defeated and restrained eternally in the lake of fire.

Capbook
Scholar

Post #54

Post by Capbook »

myth-one.com wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:38 pm
Capbook wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:56 am

Except for the devil.

The Bible describes only two types of bodies:

There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. (I Corinthians 15:44)

There are two body types, natural and spiritual and they are different. Each of these body types requires a different birth:

That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. (John 3:6)

The devil is an immortal spiritual bodied being.

Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

He knows he only has a short time until he is defeated and restrained eternally in the lake of fire.
May i know what verse Bible that says the devil is immortal.
And what verse that mentioned "eternally" in your post.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #55

Post by MissKate13 »

Yes, it is a literal lake of fire filled with brimstone (burning sulfur).

Revelation 20:15
And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Revelation 19:20
And the beast was seized, and with him the false prophet who performed the signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image; these two were thrown alive into the lake of fire which burns with brimstone.

Matthew 25:41
“Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #56

Post by myth-one.com »

Capbook wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:56 am
And the Devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. (Revelation 20:10)

To be "tormented day and night for ever and ever" the devil must be alive for ever and ever. Thus, he is immortal.

"Eternally" is equivalent to 'for ever and ever."

Capbook
Scholar

Post #57

Post by Capbook »

myth-one.com wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:44 pm
Capbook wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:56 am
And the Devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. (Revelation 20:10)

To be "tormented day and night for ever and ever" the devil must be alive for ever and ever. Thus, he is immortal.

"Eternally" is equivalent to 'for ever and ever."
Barnes understand that word "forever and ever" as destroyed.
Would you then believe that Sodom and Gomorrah are still burning today? Eternal fire it says.
Jude 1:7
Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.(KJV)

And the devil is not immortal. Though verses addressed to the King of Tyre, is actually speaking of Satan, who originally was a covering cherub (angel) in heaven. The covering cherubs are represented on either end of the ark of the testimony, in the sanctuary (Exo 25:19-21) above the mercy seat which covers the Ten Commandments. Satan will first be displayed before all so that they may see the father of sin. He will then be consumed by fire and destroyed, brought to ashes on the earth as he is cast into the lake of fire as Rev 20:10 describes. He will no longer exist!

Ezek 28:13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
Ezek 28:14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
Ezek 28:15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
Ezek 28:16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.
Ezek 28:17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
Ezek 28:18 Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffic; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.

EBA
Apprentice

Post #58

Post by EBA »

The lake of fire is figurative.

The lake of fire is the means in which God will save all of mankind.

Capbook
Scholar

Post #59

Post by Capbook »

EBA wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:43 pm The lake of fire is figurative.

The lake of fire is the means in which God will save all of mankind.
I believe the lake of fire is not figurative.

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
1 Cor 15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

Note that death and hell (the grave) are cast into the lake of fire and destroyed. They will no longer be. Death and the grave will be ended, never again to plague mankind. If all believers receive the gift of eternal life, and they lead a life without sin, then there can be no death or grave. They both cease. This second death of the lake of fire is what faith in Jesus will keep you from.

EBA
Apprentice

Post #60

Post by EBA »

Capbook wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 1:24 am I believe the lake of fire is not figurative.

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
1 Cor 15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

Note that death and hell (the grave) are cast into the lake of fire and destroyed. They will no longer be. Death and the grave will be ended, never again to plague mankind. If all believers receive the gift of eternal life, and they lead a life without sin, then there can be no death or grave. They both cease. This second death of the lake of fire is what faith in Jesus will keep you from.
Do you believe this is figurative?

He will swallow up death forever, And the Lord God will wipe away tears from all faces; The rebuke of His people He will take away from all the earth; For the Lord has spoken. (Isaiah 25:8)

Peace.