Does Hell Exist?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Data
Sage

Does Hell Exist?

Post #1

Post by Data »

The question for debate is does hell exist? If so, what does the Bible teach hell is?
Last edited by Data on Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: Does Hell Exist?

Post #161

Post by myth-one.com »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:04 pm
Capbook wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:33 am Rev 20:10 mentions "lake of fire" I believe it is literal as "fire" in verse 9 devoured the wicked.
But it also devoured "death" and it devoured "hell" please explain.

JW

Christians have their names written in the Book of Life and will be born again of the Spirit (God) as spirits.

All humans who do not have their names written in the Book of Life will be cast into the lake of fire and suffer their second death:

Revelation 20:15
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

When the Book of life has been cleared and the last living nonbeliever is cast into the lake of fire and quickly dies, there will not be any living humans.

So there will never again be any human to die or be buried.

Thus, death and hell (the grave) will be obsolete or devoured.

Capbook
Apprentice

Post #162

Post by Capbook »

Capbook wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:33 am Rev 20:10 mentions "lake of fire" I believe it is literal as "fire" in verse 9 devoured the wicked.

JW
I am confused what word or phrase you want me to explain but tried to define the word "devoured".
It is NT:2719 meaning;
to eat up, to devour, to consume; to exploit, to prey upon
(from Thayer's Greek Lexicon)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #163

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Capbook wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:07 am

JW
I am confused what word or phrase you want me to explain but tried to define the word "devoured".
No Il asking you to explain how a a literal fire can "devour" hell and death.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

onewithhim
Savant

Post #164

Post by onewithhim »

Capbook wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:33 am
onewithhim wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:44 am
Difflugia wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:34 pm
onewithhim wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:14 amSo you say that the locusts with womens' hair is literal?
No, but I don't claim that nothing in Revelation is figurative.

You, on the other hand, have claimed that everything in Revelation is figurative and used it as justification for one of your claims:
onewithhim wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:07 pmAs for the Bible supporting the lake of fire being symbolic, the whole book of Revelation is symbolic, so why would you think that the lake of fire was not?
If that's not what you meant, then your argumemt carries no weight. My position is that some things in Revelation are meant to be symbolic and some things are meant to be literal. If the 144,000 is meant to be a literal number, then you must believe that, too. Do you?
I too believe that there are things in Revelation that are meant to be literal, and most things are symbolic. (God's word itself says that Revelation was given "in signs" (symbols) to Jesus from God. ("Signified" is also used in some translations.))
Yes, I also that believe there are things in Revelation that are meant to be literal and symbolic.
Rev 20:10 mentions "lake of fire" I believe it is literal as "fire" in verse 9 devoured the wicked.
But "forever and ever" in verse 10 is just like the "eternal fire" in Jude 1:7 is/are symbolic.
It is defined by Barne's as "destroyed"
I don't believe that Sodom and Gommorah is on fire until now.
Why do you believe that the lake of fire at Rev. 20:10 is literal? Doesn't it make sense that it is symbolic when you see that "death and hell" were hurled into the lake of fire? You can't literally throw death and hell anywhere. That is symbolic for the total destruction and doing away with death and "hell."

Capbook
Apprentice

Post #165

Post by Capbook »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:39 pm

JW

JW
May I know what verse you are basing that question?
I believe that the lake of fire is hell. Mat 5:22
And devour is end of life (death) of the wicked in Rev 20:9.
Matthew 5:22
But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.(NKJV)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #166

Capbook wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:10 am
REVELATION 20:14 - King James Bible

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. ...
Capbook wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:10 am I believe that the lake of fire is hell.
Then Hell was cast into hell? Is Hell being tortured eternally?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Capbook
Apprentice

Post #167

Post by Capbook »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:13 am
REVELATION 20:14 - King James Bible

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. ...
Capbook wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:10 am I believe that the lake of fire is hell.
Then Hell was cast into hell? Is Hell being tortured eternally?

As I understand Clark's Commentary, death refers to the wicked dead. When we die the flesh returns to the ground and breath of God separates return to God. Just like Adam, mold from the ground, God breath of life (spirit) into his nostrils and become a living soul.
In this verse, the wicked dead's spirit need not separate as no place for it. Joined together to suffer second death, which destroyed through eternity.

Revelation 20:14
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

[And death and hell were cast into the lake] Death himself is now abolished, and the place for separate spirits no longer needful. All dead bodies and separated souls being rejoined, and no more separation of bodies and souls by death to take place, consequently the existence of these things is no further necessary.

[This is the second death.] The first death consisted in the separation of the soul from the body for a season; the second death in the separation of body and soul from God forever. The first death is that from which there may be a resurrection; the second death is that from which there can be no recovery. By the first the body is destroyed during time; by the second, body and soul are destroyed through eternity.
(from Adam Clarke's Commentary)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #168

Capbook wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:09 amAs I understand Clark's Commentary, death refers to the wicked dead.
But the writer distingueshes between people "the dead" and "death" (the condition)
REVELATION 20:13 King James Bible

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them
Capbook wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:09 am [And death and hell were cast into the lake] Death himself is now abolished...
So... being cast into the lake of fire = being abolished NOT tortured?
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue May 14, 2024 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #169

Post by onewithhim »

JW

JW
But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.(NKJV)
How can hell be thrown into the lake of fire?

Capbook
Apprentice

Post #170

Post by Capbook »

onewithhim wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:00 am

JW

JW
How can hell be thrown into the lake of fire?
As I understand Clark's Commentary, death refers to the wicked dead. When we die the flesh returns to the ground and breath of God separates return to God. Just like Adam, mold from the ground, God breath of life (spirit) into his nostrils and become a living soul.
In this verse, the wicked dead's spirit need not separate as no place for it. Joined together to suffer second death, which destroyed through eternity.

Revelation 20:14
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

[And death and hell were cast into the lake] Death himself is now abolished, and the place for separate spirits no longer needful. All dead bodies and separated souls being rejoined, and no more separation of bodies and souls by death to take place, consequently the existence of these things is no further necessary.

[This is the second death.] The first death consisted in the separation of the soul from the body for a season; the second death in the separation of body and soul from God forever. The first death is that from which there may be a resurrection; the second death is that from which there can be no recovery. By the first the body is destroyed during time; by the second, body and soul are destroyed through eternity.
(from Adam Clarke's Commentary)