POI wrote: ↑Tue Nov 04, 2025 5:02 am
Let us remind the audience of exactly what you stated:
"
If either of those 3 things actually happened in nature, then either should be provable by science. However, if either didn't happen in nature, then neither are provable by science. Guess what, neither can be proved using science."
"God of the gaps" is a theological concept that emerged in the 19th century, and revolves around the idea that gaps in scientific understanding are regarded as indications of the existence of God.
Ok, so when nature (unknown natural law/phenomenon) is used to fill in gaps of scientific understanding, what do we call
that, then?
Enlighten me.
If it's good for y'all, then it's good for us...and I say this while
rejecting your accusation of such reasoning on our end.
I'm saying that even if we
are using such reasoning, then we're as justified in doing so as you believe you are on
your end.
In the OP, I reckon 1) and/or 2), and 3) will have to be addressed, based upon the organic flow of our exchange. I cannot address the perceived topic 'design' alone, as you are already also addressing 'something-from-nothing'.
I was making an
off the cuff point, in passing.
It wasn't meant to be dwelled upon.
LOL! I explained below. It goes not much further than the 'puddle' story. If you truly understand the metaphor, you would abort your entire argument, as it is clearly fallacious. I'll keep driving it home below.
I already acknowledged the puddle story as un-analogous.
Because more complex things are also proven to be by natural causes.
Such as?
LOL! This was all you had when I was merely explaining how you "just so happened to be indoctrinated into the 'right' set of beliefs." And yet, when I wanted to address the Gospels, you immediately aborted.
Wow, you just did what I thought was impossible.
You've just committed a logical fallacy (Genetic Fallacy), without actually even committing the fallacy.
That is quite a remarkable task.
I am genuinely impressed.
The puddle story.
Dealt with and dismissed.
It's just a synonym of the 'argument from ignorance' fallacy. The "intelligent design fallacy" is a critique of the reasoning behind intelligent design, identifying it as a non-scientific argument based on several logical fallacies, particularly the argument from incredulity and the argument from ignorance. Proponents claim complex biological systems couldn't evolve naturally and must be the result of a designer, but this is considered a fallacy because the lack of understanding of a natural process is presented as evidence for a non-natural one.
Um, no.
Again, we're inferring design based on what we know, not what do don't know.
1. Purpose
2. Function
And here's a third one...
3. Information.
Nature doesn't have the
mind, nor any conceivable ability to provide
any of those three things.
And if you think otherwise, prove it.
My point continues to be missed. Refer to the puddle story.
I did.
Nothingburger...
What?
Bro, if you were to ask Norman Rockwell (famous painter) why did he paint X painting Y way, instead of Z way..and his response is..
"Because I wanted to paint it X way".
Then guess what, that is the end of discussion.
Your opinion on
what or
why you think his painting should be Z way is unwarranted, irrelevant, and about as useless as the "s" in island.
Catch my drift?
You've missed my point, yet again. Regardless of how the universe is laid out, the odds are the same, whether life exists in none of it, 1% of it, or 99% of it. Hence, the seemingly intimidating mathematical equation then becomes pointless and useless.
Ok, so if a doctor told you that you have a 1 chance in 10^10^123 of surviving cancer, or a 1 chance in 3 in surviving cancer...and you had the option of choosing which odds you'd prefer for survival..
Which one would you choose?
Please answer the question.
No filibustering or red herrings.
LOL! I'm merely asking a very logical question. If humans are so dang important, as your ancient story-book dictates, then why are humans vastly limited to how much of the "universe" we can access?
Because maybe God said, "I want to create a universe that is vastly limited, as to how much humans can access".
Ok, let's say that is the answer?
You still have God, and you still have a created universe.
Now what?
Second request... Where in the provided link answers my proposed question? Please quote it?
What was your proposed question? Tell me again, so I can repost the link.
Just another misplaced rubberstamp. It addresses the design argument. Why design a space for which God's most cherished creation can barely inhabit?
Because he wanted to. Not trying to sound abrasive, but if God does something, it is because he wants to do it that specific way.
Any way
you think it could have been better; when you become God, then you do it that way.
Until then..
All I can do is reattach my last response, as it addresses the assertion(s) of 'purpose' and 'function'. In your worldview, you invoke 'purpose' and 'function' where there is likely none in realty. Hence, the "puddle in the hole story."
You've missed the analogy. It builds upon what I've stated above. The story of "the puddle in the hole", popularized by Douglas Adams, represents the argument that life is a product of evolution adapting to its environment, rather than the environment being "fine-tuned" specifically for life. The analogy posits that a puddle might think its hole was perfectly made for it, unaware that the hole's shape is determined by how liquid naturally conforms to the space available to it. In this metaphor, the puddle is "life" and the hole is "the universe", suggesting that life's characteristics are the result of adaptation to the universe's existing laws, not proof of a designed, purposeful creation.
No purpose or function, eh?
Cool.
So, let me gouge out your eyes, since because according to you, there is no purpose or function in reality, which includes your two eyes.
Not only that, but the statement "there is no purpose or function in reality" is self refuting, because that would mean that the statement itself has no purpose or function.
Just taking L's all through here, ain't you.
Nope. it challenges the concept of an intelligent designer.
Why would an all knowing and all wise "creator" create humans in their 'created' form? (I.E.):
1) An airway shared with a foodway
2) An appendix known to inflate and rupture
3) A prostate located to sometimes block urine flow
4) Sex organs sharing a sewage path
5) Humans have to continuously breath, blink, eat, drink, expel waste, etc...
It's almost as if blind cumulative processes are happening here....
Cart before the horse fallacy.
Show me how life got here in the first place before you critique the inner workings of it.
There is but one fate, for the guilty.