Preamble
I’m an agnostic atheist. I don’t believe in the supernatural or superstition.
Today, I am continuing my focus on the A&E story by discussing the idea of original sin. The doctrine isn’t explicitly stated in Genesis. It comes from Paul’s theological interpretation of Adam, which Christians later developed into doctrine.
I have my own secular interpretations of texts, and I’m not beholden to any theology. I don’t simply accept what other people think. I form my own conclusions based on the text alone.
An interpretation is an explanation of what a text means. The text itself is the words actually written. Therefore, an interpretation cannot be equated with the text.
While Paul and the Church have the right to their opinions, so do I. Paul is not my authority. Neither is any Church.
Definitions
1. Original sin: The doctrine that Adam’s sin resulted in humanity inheriting sinfulness, guilt, or condemnation.
2. Interpretation: An explanation or understanding assigned to a text.
3. Theological interpretation: An interpretation shaped by theological beliefs or doctrines.
4. Textual teaching: A proposition explicitly communicated by the text itself.
Paul’s Relevant Passages
Romans 5:12: “Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men...”
Romans 5:18: “Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men.”
Romans 5:19: “For as by the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man’s obedience the many will be made righteous.”
Argument
P1: Genesis does not explicitly teach original sin, and Paul’s interpretation is no more authoritative than anyone else’s interpretation.
P2: I form my conclusions from the text alone, without treating Paul or theology as authoritative.
C: Therefore, original sin is a theological interpretation, not Genesis’s explicit teaching.
Paul’s Interpretation Isn’t Genesis
Moderator: Moderators
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Paul’s Interpretation Isn’t Genesis
Post #1I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
-
bjs1
- Guru
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:18 pm
- Has thanked: 52 times
- Been thanked: 266 times
Re: Paul’s Interpretation Isn’t Genesis
Post #2[Replying to Ray the atheist in post #1]
1: Genesis does not explicitly teach original sin, and Paul’s interpretation is no more authoritative than anyone else’s interpretation.
Paul’s interpretation, when written in the NT and, according to Christians, inspired by the Holy Spirit, is authoritative for Christians.
P2: I form my conclusions from the text alone, without treating Paul or theology as authoritative.
Feel free. Part of being a non-Christian means that you don’t have to believe what Christians believe.
C: Therefore, original sin is a theological interpretation, not Genesis’s explicit teaching.
I agree. Original sin is a Christian doctrine, not a Jewish one.
Is that all you wanted to say?
1: Genesis does not explicitly teach original sin, and Paul’s interpretation is no more authoritative than anyone else’s interpretation.
Paul’s interpretation, when written in the NT and, according to Christians, inspired by the Holy Spirit, is authoritative for Christians.
P2: I form my conclusions from the text alone, without treating Paul or theology as authoritative.
Feel free. Part of being a non-Christian means that you don’t have to believe what Christians believe.
C: Therefore, original sin is a theological interpretation, not Genesis’s explicit teaching.
I agree. Original sin is a Christian doctrine, not a Jewish one.
Is that all you wanted to say?
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin
-Charles Darwin
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Paul’s Interpretation Isn’t Genesis
Post #3[Replying to bjs1 in post #2]
I'm not disputing that, or course.
I was trying to say that the Holy Spirit isn't something that I can believe in, someone who claims to be divinely inspired can be wrong for a lot of reasons and there is no way for us to check that inspiration.
As an outsider to your faith, i got by the text .. not by claims of divine inspiration.
Well, of course it is.1: Genesis does not explicitly teach original sin, and Paul’s interpretation is no more authoritative than anyone else’s interpretation.
Paul’s interpretation, when written in the NT and, according to Christians, inspired by the Holy Spirit, is authoritative for Christians.
I'm not disputing that, or course.
I was trying to say that the Holy Spirit isn't something that I can believe in, someone who claims to be divinely inspired can be wrong for a lot of reasons and there is no way for us to check that inspiration.
As an outsider to your faith, i got by the text .. not by claims of divine inspiration.
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Paul’s Interpretation Isn’t Genesis
Post #4[Replying to bjs1 in post #2]
As a Christian, you have no choice in the matter.
What I'm doing is showing that there's more ways to interpret holy books than what the believers dream up.
Thank you.P2: I form my conclusions from the text alone, without treating Paul or theology as authoritative.
Feel free. Part of being a non-Christian means that you don’t have to believe what Christians believe.
As a Christian, you have no choice in the matter.
What I'm doing is showing that there's more ways to interpret holy books than what the believers dream up.
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Paul’s Interpretation Isn’t Genesis
Post #5[Replying to bjs1 in post #2]
Not once.
I'm explaining how outsiders would understand the book without your theological bias.
Christians will use Paul's interpretations, of course.
Outsiders are free to ignore other people's interpretations and are not bound by doctrine.
I never mentioned how the Jews interpret the verses.C: Therefore, original sin is a theological interpretation, not Genesis’s explicit teaching.
I agree. Original sin is a Christian doctrine, not a Jewish one.
Is that all you wanted to say?
Not once.
I'm explaining how outsiders would understand the book without your theological bias.
Christians will use Paul's interpretations, of course.
Outsiders are free to ignore other people's interpretations and are not bound by doctrine.
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
- 1213
- Savant
- Posts: 13731
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
- Location: Finland
- Has thanked: 544 times
- Been thanked: 528 times
Re: Paul’s Interpretation Isn’t Genesis
Post #6So, what do you think the word sin means?Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Thu Aug 13, 2026 11:58 am ...
P1: Genesis does not explicitly teach original sin, and Paul’s interpretation is no more authoritative than anyone else’s interpretation.
P2: I form my conclusions from the text alone, without treating Paul or theology as authoritative.
C: Therefore, original sin is a theological interpretation, not Genesis’s explicit teaching.
My new book can be read freely from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Paul’s Interpretation Isn’t Genesis
Post #7[Replying to 1213 in post #6]
As a secular reader, it seems to me that "sin" means whatever displeases the god.
It's not about morality, it's about obedience.
Since the bible doesn't come with a lexicon, we are compelled to speculate.So, what do you think the word sin means?
As a secular reader, it seems to me that "sin" means whatever displeases the god.
It's not about morality, it's about obedience.
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
- 1213
- Savant
- Posts: 13731
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
- Location: Finland
- Has thanked: 544 times
- Been thanked: 528 times
Re: Paul’s Interpretation Isn’t Genesis
Post #8Ok, if we use that definition, it can be said it was a sin what Adam and Eve did. And because it was the first sin of humans, it can be called the original sin?Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Fri Aug 14, 2026 9:35 am [Replying to 1213 in post #6]
Since the bible doesn't come with a lexicon, we are compelled to speculate.So, what do you think the word sin means?
As a secular reader, it seems to me that "sin" means whatever displeases the god.
It's not about morality, it's about obedience.
My new book can be read freely from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Paul’s Interpretation Isn’t Genesis
Post #9[Replying to 1213 in post #8]
I like the way that you quote me... the format is important to me.. Id like to know your secret.. so... maybe we could have a small private chat about that sometime... if that's ok, let me know in here and I will send you a note.
______________________________________
Equivocation
Yes, you can call their act “sin” if sin means disobedience. But that establishes disobedience, not moral wrongdoing or moral responsibility. “Original sin” however, is not mentioned in Genesis and adds later theological meaning.
______________________________________As a secular reader, it seems to me that "sin" means whatever displeases the god.
It's not about morality, it's about obedience.
Ok, if we use that definition, it can be said it was a sin what Adam and Eve did. And because it was the first sin of humans, it can be called the original sin?
I like the way that you quote me... the format is important to me.. Id like to know your secret.. so... maybe we could have a small private chat about that sometime... if that's ok, let me know in here and I will send you a note.
______________________________________
Equivocation
Yes, you can call their act “sin” if sin means disobedience. But that establishes disobedience, not moral wrongdoing or moral responsibility. “Original sin” however, is not mentioned in Genesis and adds later theological meaning.
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
- 1213
- Savant
- Posts: 13731
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
- Location: Finland
- Has thanked: 544 times
- Been thanked: 528 times
Re: Paul’s Interpretation Isn’t Genesis
Post #10Original sin is only a name for what they did. The important thing is the meaning of the words, not the words itself. The theological meaning is in the story, regardless of what we call it.Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Sun Aug 16, 2026 11:12 am ....Yes, you can call their act “sin” if sin means disobedience. But that establishes disobedience, not moral wrongdoing or moral responsibility. “Original sin” however, is not mentioned in Genesis and adds later theological meaning.
My new book can be read freely from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html

