Preamble
When I read Genesis 2–3, I find a surprising number of unanswered questions.
Why did God put the tree there? Why allow the serpent into the garden? Who is “us”? What exactly does “knowing good and evil” mean?
Then there is the question of God’s knowledge. Why does God ask Adam where he is? Why does God have to ask whether they ate from the tree? Is God genuinely discovering what happened, or are these merely rhetorical questions?
The story also leaves the sudden shame over nakedness unexplained. Adam and Eve were naked before eating and felt no shame. Then they suddenly become ashamed. Why? The story never really tells us.
A literary critic might call these narrative and motivational gaps. Basically, the story tells me what happened up to a certain point, but leaves me to figure out a lot of the “why" and the "what" unexplained.
Christians can and do argue about the meaning of almost every important word and phrase in the story. Words can have multiple meanings, and they can be used metaphorically. Meanwhile, important motivations and connections between events are simply left unstated.
For all we know, the authors could have intentionally made the story as vague as possible. Or perhaps they simply never expected their story to be analyzed this closely for its underlying meaning.
Either way, ambiguity can protect interpretations from being falsified. When the text leaves gaps, readers can fill them with whatever explanation seems to preserve their interpretation. When a word has several possible meanings, the meaning can shift depending on what the argument requires.
A missing motivation can be supplied later. An unexplained event can be given a theological purpose that the story itself never mentions. If one interpretation is challenged, another possible meaning can be substituted without anything in the text necessarily ruling it out. This can become a form of moving the goalposts, where the interpretation keeps changing just enough to survive each objection.
The result is that almost any theological interpretation can potentially be defended by appealing to something the story leaves unexplained, rather than something the story actually says.
Definitions
1. Narrative gaps: Missing information about what happened, why it happened, or how events connect.
2. Motivational gaps: Missing explanations for why characters act as they do.
3. Ambiguity: Wording or situations allowing multiple plausible meanings.
4. Theological interpretation: An explanation of a text’s meaning using theological assumptions or beliefs.
5. Falsification: Showing that an interpretation is probably wrong through contradictory evidence.
Relevant Verses
Genesis 2:17: “But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.”
Genesis 3:7: “And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.”
Genesis 3:22: “And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil...”
Argument
P1: Genesis 2–3 contains narrative gaps, motivational gaps, and ambiguous or metaphorical language.
P2: Such ambiguity allows theological interpretations to supply missing meanings and reinterpret claims when challenged.
C: Genesis 2–3’s ambiguity can protect theological interpretations from falsification.
Genesis 2–3: Ambiguity Protects Theological Interpretations
Moderator: Moderators
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Genesis 2–3: Ambiguity Protects Theological Interpretations
Post #1I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3: Ambiguity Protects Theological Interpretations
Post #11[Replying to 1213 in post #10]
I am discussing Gen 2-1. Your opinion doesn't stand in for textual evidence.
An all powerful god could easily made a question for all kinds of reasons left unexplained in the actual text.
I could say that he knew what they would do and was just torturing them a little before he punished all of humanity.
As any normal evil god would.
That's what I think.
And im sure that what I think isn't going to convince you.
We aren't discussing what I think.. we are discussing what the text possibly means.
My point is the the text is extremely ambiguous and is open to all sorts of creative interpretations, including yours and my own.
Cheers.
________________________________________________In my opinion God asking those questions shows He knew, he just wanted the people to tell what happened.
_____________________________
And the text just states that he asked.. no reason is given.
...
But, would He have made those questions, if He didn't know where they were and what had happened? I don't think so.
I am discussing Gen 2-1. Your opinion doesn't stand in for textual evidence.
An all powerful god could easily made a question for all kinds of reasons left unexplained in the actual text.
I could say that he knew what they would do and was just torturing them a little before he punished all of humanity.
As any normal evil god would.
That's what I think.
And im sure that what I think isn't going to convince you.
We aren't discussing what I think.. we are discussing what the text possibly means.
My point is the the text is extremely ambiguous and is open to all sorts of creative interpretations, including yours and my own.
Cheers.
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
- JehovahsWitness
- Savant
- Posts: 23632
- Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
- Has thanked: 934 times
- Been thanked: 1357 times
- Contact:
Re: Genesis 2–3: Ambiguity Protects Theological Interpretations
Post #12So? So what? why do you consider that "problematic"?Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Thu Sep 03, 2026 9:03 am*
My point is the the text is extremely ambiguous and is open to all sorts of creative interpretations, including yours and my own.
So the only real "problem" with the textual ambiguity is your own aspirations which are exterior to (not mentioned in) the text itself?Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Mon Aug 31, 2026 1:34 pm I wish there was a way to get a tight theological interpretation.
Wouldn't it be better to approach the text as it is, without imposing your personal expectations upon it?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681
"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" - Romans 14:8
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681
"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" - Romans 14:8
- bluegreenearth
- Guru
- Posts: 2267
- Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:06 pm
- Location: Manassas, VA
- Has thanked: 1066 times
- Been thanked: 701 times
Re: Genesis 2–3: Ambiguity Protects Theological Interpretations
Post #13Which translation and version of the text would you have theists approach as it is?JehovahsWitness wrote: ↑Thu Sep 03, 2026 5:00 pm So the only real "problem" with the textual ambiguity is your own aspirations which are exterior to (not mentioned in) the text itself?
Wouldn't it be better to approach the text as it is, without imposing your personal expectations upon it?
- 1213
- Savant
- Posts: 13731
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
- Location: Finland
- Has thanked: 544 times
- Been thanked: 528 times
Re: Genesis 2–3: Ambiguity Protects Theological Interpretations
Post #14But, if we are speaking only about Gen 2-1, then what we think it means, our opinions doesn't really matter?Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Thu Sep 03, 2026 9:03 am ...I am discussing Gen 2-1. Your opinion doesn't stand in for textual evidence.
...I could say that he knew what they would do and was just torturing them a little before he punished all of humanity.
As any normal evil god would.
That's what I think.
And im sure that what I think isn't going to convince you.
We aren't discussing what I think.. we are discussing what the text possibly means....
My new book can be read freely from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html

