Does the NT represent the words and thoughts of Jesus?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter
Posts: 25152
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:38 pm
Location: Bible Belt USA
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Does the NT represent the words and thoughts of Jesus?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Does the NT represent the words and thoughts of Jesus OR the words and thoughts of Paul/Saul and the gospel writers (with later changes and additions)?
.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

User avatar
1213
Savant
Posts: 13731
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 544 times
Been thanked: 528 times

Re: Does the NT represent the words and thoughts of Jesus?

Post #41

Post by 1213 »

Clownboat wrote: ↑Mon Aug 24, 2026 1:12 pm
Could you give one event example from Qu'ran and Bhagavad Gita that you would like to know do I think it happened?
I could...
Sorry, I have no reason to believe you. But, what is your point in this debate, if you are not willing to defend your claims?
My new book can be read freely from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view

Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html

User avatar
Clownboat
Savant
Posts: 10372
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:42 pm
Has thanked: 1509 times
Been thanked: 1797 times

Re: Does the NT represent the words and thoughts of Jesus?

Post #42

Post by Clownboat »

1213 wrote: ↑Tue Aug 25, 2026 12:25 am
Clownboat wrote: ↑Mon Aug 24, 2026 1:12 pm
Could you give one event example from Qu'ran and Bhagavad Gita that you would like to know do I think it happened?
I could...
Sorry, I have no reason to believe you. But, what is your point in this debate, if you are not willing to defend your claims?
To save time and sanity, I will quote myself from post 38.

"Yes, the Qur'an has elements that humans cannot know on their own:
Detailed descriptions of the unseen world, including the nature of God, angels, the soul, heaven, hell, and the Day of Judgment, which human reason cannot discover independently.


So, did humans write the Qu'ran? If they did, was it because the events happened?
I'm asking because you said this: "I don't think humans could have written it, if it didn't really happen"
You don't seem to be consistent.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

User avatar
1213
Savant
Posts: 13731
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 544 times
Been thanked: 528 times

Re: Does the NT represent the words and thoughts of Jesus?

Post #43

Post by 1213 »

Clownboat wrote: ↑Thu Aug 27, 2026 12:03 pm ...."Yes, the Qur'an has elements that humans cannot know on their own:
Detailed descriptions of the unseen world, including the nature of God, angels, the soul, heaven, hell, and the Day of Judgment, which human reason cannot discover independently.


So, did humans write the Qu'ran? If they did, was it because the events happened?
1) We can't know are those true.
2) He could have copied them form the Jews and Christians.

That is why it is different.

In the case of the Bible, I was not talking about things that we cannot yet see.
My new book can be read freely from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view

Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html

User avatar
Clownboat
Savant
Posts: 10372
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:42 pm
Has thanked: 1509 times
Been thanked: 1797 times

Re: Does the NT represent the words and thoughts of Jesus?

Post #44

Post by Clownboat »

1213 wrote: ↑Fri Aug 28, 2026 12:22 am 1) We can't know are those true.
2) He could have copied them form the Jews and Christians.
You obviously didn't think this through.
If they copied it from Jews and/or Christians, how would that make it any truer?
You need to ask yourself 1) above.
1213 wrote:I said "I don't think humans could have written it, if it didn't really happen".
You already stated that all books we have were written by humans.
Therefore I ask, since humans wrote the Qur'an, is it because the events happened, or is this kind of reasoning actually faulty to determine if events happened in a book like I currently argue, but you use as justification?

You seem to be saying:
That is terrible reasoning, unless I'm using it!
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

User avatar
1213
Savant
Posts: 13731
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 544 times
Been thanked: 528 times

Re: Does the NT represent the words and thoughts of Jesus?

Post #45

Post by 1213 »

Clownboat wrote: ↑Fri Aug 28, 2026 12:47 pm ...Therefore I ask, since humans wrote the Qur'an, is it because the events happened, or is this kind of reasoning actually faulty to determine if events happened in a book like I currently argue, but you use as justification?
Please tell one example of event that happened?

By what I know,most of the Quran seems to be just copying the Bible, not very original, nor something that the person could not have know on his own, without divine intervention or something like that.
My new book can be read freely from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view

Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html

User avatar
Clownboat
Savant
Posts: 10372
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:42 pm
Has thanked: 1509 times
Been thanked: 1797 times

Re: Does the NT represent the words and thoughts of Jesus?

Post #46

Post by Clownboat »

1213 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 29, 2026 11:54 pm Please tell one example of event that happened?
John F Kennedy was assassinated.
By what I know, most of the Quran seems to be just copying the Bible,

I acknowledge this ignorance and how it guides your thinking.

By the way, it was your reasoning that was on trial here, not the Quran.
Copy/paste: "Therefore I ask, since humans wrote the Qur'an, is it because the events happened, or is this kind of reasoning actually faulty to determine if events happened in a book like I currently argue, but you use as justification?"
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

User avatar
1213
Savant
Posts: 13731
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 544 times
Been thanked: 528 times

Re: Does the NT represent the words and thoughts of Jesus?

Post #47

Post by 1213 »

Clownboat wrote: ↑Wed Sep 02, 2026 11:22 am
1213 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 29, 2026 11:54 pm Please tell one example of event that happened?
John F Kennedy was assassinated.
Sorry, I meant, event that happened according to the Quran.
Clownboat wrote: ↑Wed Sep 02, 2026 11:22 am
By what I know, most of the Quran seems to be just copying the Bible,

I acknowledge this ignorance and how it guides your thinking.
Ignorance? Please tell one example of original information in the Quran, that is not something that was not already said in the Bible?
My new book can be read freely from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view

Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html

User avatar
Clownboat
Savant
Posts: 10372
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:42 pm
Has thanked: 1509 times
Been thanked: 1797 times

Re: Does the NT represent the words and thoughts of Jesus?

Post #48

Post by Clownboat »

1213 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 02, 2026 10:26 pm Please tell one example of event that happened?
John F Kennedy was assassinated.
Sorry, I meant, event that happened according to the Quran.
I'm sorry, but religious promotional material is not a valid way for determining if claimed events happened in said religious promotional material. Do you disagree and find religious promotional material to be valid way to determine if claimed events happened in said material?
Clownboat wrote: ↑Wed Sep 02, 2026 11:22 am
By what I know, most of the Quran seems to be just copying the Bible,

I acknowledge this ignorance and how it guides your thinking.
Ignorance?
Yes. You think that the Qur'an copied the Bible. This is ignorant.
Please tell one example of original information in the Quran, that is not something that was not already said in the Bible?
If I do this, will you promise to correct your ignorance and never make this mistake again in your life?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

User avatar
1213
Savant
Posts: 13731
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 544 times
Been thanked: 528 times

Re: Does the NT represent the words and thoughts of Jesus?

Post #49

Post by 1213 »

Clownboat wrote: ↑Thu Sep 03, 2026 11:43 am
Sorry, I meant, event that happened according to the Quran.
I'm sorry, but religious promotional material is not a valid way for determining if claimed events happened in said religious promotional material. Do you disagree and find religious promotional material to be valid way to determine if claimed events happened in said material?
It seems to me that you have lost the plot. It was not for you to determine did the things happen.
Clownboat wrote: ↑Thu Sep 03, 2026 11:43 am You think that the Qur'an copied the Bible. This is ignorant.
Why do you think it is ignorant?
Clownboat wrote: ↑Thu Sep 03, 2026 11:43 am
Please tell one example of original information in the Quran, that is not something that was not already said in the Bible?
If I do this, will you promise to correct your ignorance and never make this mistake again in your life?
No need to do it, thank you.
My new book can be read freely from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view

Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html

User avatar
Clownboat
Savant
Posts: 10372
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:42 pm
Has thanked: 1509 times
Been thanked: 1797 times

Re: Does the NT represent the words and thoughts of Jesus?

Post #50

Post by Clownboat »

Clownboat wrote:I'm sorry, but religious promotional material is not a valid way for determining if claimed events happened in said religious promotional material. Do you disagree and find religious promotional material to be valid way to determine if claimed events happened in said material?
It seems to me that you have lost the plot. It was not for you to determine did the things happen.
Readers, do you notice how this response doesn't address the direct question that was asked?
Clownboat wrote: ↑Thu Sep 03, 2026 11:43 am You think that the Qur'an copied the Bible. This is ignorant.
Why do you think it is ignorant?

It is ignorant because the Quran did not copy the Bible. They would be the same book if they were copies and similar if poor copies. They are neither of these things. Even the god concepts in both differ, but you know this already.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Post Reply