Preamble
I’ve been studying the Adam and Eve story for a few months. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural and therefore, cannot use theological interpretations.
My understanding of the text is not beholding to any theological position.
I’ve noticed a recurring pattern in apologetics. When the Genesis text doesn’t explicitly say something, later theology is sometimes used to supply the missing meaning.
A good example is the claim that the “death” God warned Adam and Eve about in Genesis 2:17 was actually “spiritual death.”
But where does Genesis say that?
A very popular apologetic that I get on reddit appeals to later biblical passages:
1. “Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned.” Romans 5:12
2. “For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.” 1 Corinthians 15:22
3. “Behold, all souls are mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is mine: the soul who sins shall die.” Ezekiel 18:4
4. “And you were dead in the trespasses and sins.” Ephesians 2:1
But none of these passages actually says “The death in Genesis 2:17 was spiritual death.”
So the question is whether the text implies a theological interpretation, or whether the interpretation is being imported into Genesis from later theology.
Definitions
1. Death: Permanent cessation of an organism’s biological functions.
2. Spiritual: Relating to supernatural, religious, or non-material existence.
3. Theological interpretation: Understanding a text through theological concepts or doctrines.
4. Interpretation: Determining or explaining a text’s meaning.
5. Eisegesis: Reading an external idea into a text.
6. Exegesis: Deriving meaning from a text through analysis.
Argument
P1: Paul and Ezekiel never explicitly identify Genesis 2:17’s death as spiritual death.
P2: Later theological writings cannot establish Genesis’s original meaning without textual evidence from Genesis itself.
C: Genesis 2:17 does not establish “spiritual death” as its meaning.
No Spiritual Death
Moderator: Moderators
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
No Spiritual Death
Post #1I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
- bluegreenearth
- Guru
- Posts: 2274
- Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:06 pm
- Location: Manassas, VA
- Has thanked: 1069 times
- Been thanked: 705 times
Re: No Spiritual Death
Post #431Given the nonsequetor above, I must infer that you have nothing substantive or relevant to offer in defense of your claim. Therefore, this concludes our discussion.
To the other theists in the audience,
Have you learned anything helpful from observing the outcome of this dialogue?
"This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes." - King Arthur, Monty Python & The Holy Grail
Re: No Spiritual Death
Post #432Correct. I believe only what the Bible says, in order to teach it. You don't.Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Fri Sep 18, 2026 12:20 pm [Replying to RBD in post #408]
____________________________Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Thu Sep 17, 2026 3:54 pm
Maybe I don't understand your objection, if so, please clarify.
You don't want to believe the Book's own words. That's you. You want to believe something else not written. That's you again. You're already rewriting ffrom your own book, so go ahead. I'm not interested in reading any more of your own book of mysteries.
Your objection to my argument seems to be that I don't believe what you do.
And that's not a matter of faith, but of literary integrity. Therefore, I only argue from the Book itself, not from someone esle's own mind.
Re: No Spiritual Death
Post #433Self explanatory.Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Fri Sep 18, 2026 1:06 pm [Replying to RBD in post #410]
___________________________________________Almost every other words needs to be defined .. including the words life and death.
1 Tim 6:3
He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
I'm wondering why you mention that verse.
Can you clarify?
I don't debate the meaning of life, and especially not the word, life. I only show what the Bible teaches of life and death.
Re: No Spiritual Death
Post #434Been there and done that between us enough.Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Fri Sep 18, 2026 2:15 pm [Replying to RBD in post #410]
__________________________________The "spiritual" qualification that you want to use came hundreds of years later.
The spiritual nature of death in Gen 2-3 is known by another natural death for the same man in Gen 5. The Author confirms it in other Scriptures, that are to be taken together as one divinely inspired word of truth. Scripture teaches Scripture.
I can't find where in Genesis 5 describes two types of death.
It mentions physical death repeatedly, but it does not explicitly distinguish between physical and spiritual death. Again, it's like in Gen 2-3.. the word there is "die".. not "spiritually die" or "die twice".
Just one kind of death.
The kind isn't explained.
If you think I'm wrong about that. please quote your reference.
I'm not someone that debates for the sake of debate, especially when the debate degrades into defining words, in order to keep the debate going.
Unless you have something new, then we're done with this debate. Thanks.
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: No Spiritual Death
Post #435[Replying to RBD in post #433]
I wasn't asking you to debate.. I was asking you clarify what you meant.
If I don't understand what you mean, do you care?
_________________________Can you clarify?
Self explanatory.
I don't debate the meaning of life, and especially not the word, life. I only show what the Bible teaches of life and death.
I wasn't asking you to debate.. I was asking you clarify what you meant.
If I don't understand what you mean, do you care?
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
Re: No Spiritual Death
Post #436Correct, the Bible speaks of clothing ourselves in righteous and putting on Christ, not of being clothed with sin by lust for evil.
Man dies first to the Spirit of life by lust of heart. Man dies naturally in the end by mortal flesh and blood.
To teach what all the Bible says, in order to teach any part of it.
You fairly attempted to look beyond Genesis, in order to justify being 'clothed' with sin. The attempt was fair, the application is false.
Being born again of the Spirit, and clothing our ourselves with the good works of Christ, is being justified by faith with works.
If we lust for sin from the heart, it doesn't matter what works we do to clothe ourselves, we are naked and shamed before God.
Adam and Eve attempted to clothe themselves with sinful lust, when being corrupted of heart. There is no such sin clothing before God, but only naked shamefulness and contempt. So do all lusting sinners, that try to clothe themselves with their own righteousness and good works, to be justified with themselves and men, but not with God.
Luk 16:15
And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
There is clothing of righteousness for the pure of heart in Christ Jesus. There is no clothing for the sinner dead to God, anymore than for a corpse.
Re: No Spiritual Death
Post #437Agreed. We can also say the reverse. No need to doubt personal testimonies of anyone, so long as we're not expected to be convinced by them, and change our lives.bluegreenearth wrote: ↑Fri Sep 18, 2026 9:53 pmYour personal testimony does not serve as a justifiable reason for me to accept the claim in the same way the personal testimonies of other people who believe in a different god do not serve as justifiable reason for you to accept their claim.
Yes, the non-existence of a god cannot be proven either. I've never claimed that a god does not exist. So, what's your point?
2Co 5:7
For we walk by faith, not by sight
Faith doesn't work by sight, but only from the heart.
That said, as a believer on in the Bible for truth, I don't argue against anyone's personal testimony, unless they claim something that contradicts the Bible revelation and doctrine of truth.
Example: I have no problem believing Mohammed recieved and spoke by an angel, to write the Koran. It certainly doesn't convince me to believe him and follow His angel and god. Afterall, the Bible shows there are angels of God sent by God, and fallen angels sinning against God, coming to decieve men into false revelations, gospels, and gods:
Gal 1:6
I am amazed that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel...But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
2Co 11:13
For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
The first false angelic messenger recorded in the Bible was fallen Lucifer, that old Serpent the Devil, and Satan himself.
This is why I never testify of my own experiences as a means of seeking to prove the truth of God, Jesus, and life. I only let the Bible do the testifying. If someone doesn't believe the Bible, then there certainly not going to be persuaded by our own personal testimonies.
However, when someone claims to be speaking and testifying of Jesus Christ, who already rejects His own words and law of life, then their personal testimonies of spiritual things, is not from the true God, but only from a lying spirit, or just plain old delusional fantasy.
1Jo 4:6
We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
1Jo 4:1
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
There are many spirits in this world, and people can experience them, such as through meditative, martial, and aesthetic techniques, but there only one true Spirit of revelation and eternal life.
Jhn 16:13
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Re: No Spiritual Death
Post #438People who care about someone never understanding simple things repeated enough, are wasting their care on others.Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2026 6:00 pm [Replying to RBD in post #433]
_________________________Can you clarify?
Self explanatory.
I don't debate the meaning of life, and especially not the word, life. I only show what the Bible teaches of life and death.
I wasn't asking you to debate.. I was asking you clarify what you meant.
If I don't understand what you mean, do you care?
Some people are so intellectually stimulated by continuous talk and debate, that they even want to argue about how others should care.
No, I don't care that you can never seem to understand what I've been saying, I just leave you to caring about your 'misunderstanding'. It suits you just fine.
Jhn 8:43
Why do ye not understand my speech? Even because ye cannot hear my word.
Mat 13:19
When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
1Jo 4:6
We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
-
OneJack
- Guru
- Posts: 2433
- Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:57 am
- Has thanked: 16 times
- Been thanked: 27 times
Re: No Spiritual Death
Post #439[Replying to RBD in post #436]
The issue is only Gen 2:17, don't blow it out of proportion. What really happened to Adam and Eve after they've eaten the forbidden fruit? Since they were both sinless in the beginning, sin began to clothe them when they ate the forbidden fruit; their sinless status was taken from them.Correct, the Bible speaks of clothing ourselves in righteous and putting on Christ, not of being clothed with sin by lust for evil.
Man dies first to the Spirit of life by lust of heart. Man dies naturally in the end by mortal flesh and blood.
And who commanded you to teach the bible to your fellowmen?To teach what all the Bible says, in order to teach any part of it.
Only God, whose name is Jesus, can say the true event that transpired in the lives of Adam and Eve, not you, not me, not the bible; hence, I only shared with you and others here what we've heard and learned from the Lord Jesus about Adam and Eve with respect to that forbidden fruit.You fairly attempted to look beyond Genesis, in order to justify being 'clothed' with sin. The attempt was fair, the application is false.
These are not parts of Gen. 2:17, are they? These are lumps of yeast.Being born again of the Spirit, and clothing our ourselves with the good works of Christ, is being justified by faith with works.
If we lust for sin from the heart, it doesn't matter what works we do to clothe ourselves, we are naked and shamed before God.
Have you heard and learned all these things from God?Adam and Eve attempted to clothe themselves with sinful lust, when being corrupted of heart. There is no such sin clothing before God, but only naked shamefulness and contempt. So do all lusting sinners, that try to clothe themselves with their own righteousness and good works, to be justified with themselves and men, but not with God.
Luk 16:15
And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
There is clothing of righteousness for the pure of heart in Christ Jesus. There is no clothing for the sinner dead to God, anymore than for a corpse.

