Are Christians to remain civil at all times?

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Goose

Are Christians to remain civil at all times?

Post #1

Post by Goose »

1. Atheists are called fools…

The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.� (Psalms 14:1)

2. On multiple occasions Jesus called the scribes and Pharisees hypocrites!

“But woe to you, Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! (Matthew 23:29)

3. Jesus calls the Scribes and Pharisees serpents and vipers!

Serpents, brood of vipers! (Matthew 23:33)

4. Paul called the legalistic Jewish-Christians perverting the Gospel dogs!

Beware of those dogs! (Philippians 3:2)

Are Christians to remain civil at all times under all circumstances? Is this Biblical?

Does there ever come a point where a Christian should just call a duck a duck, so to speak, as even Jesus did?

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Jesus was only condemning with hypocritical believers. So, if we are to follow Jesus' example, this would not include non-believers.

In the context of defending the faith, 1 Pet 3:15 should be our guideline.

1Pe 3:15 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;

Goose

Post #3

Post by Goose »

otseng wrote:Jesus was only condemning with hypocritical believers. So, if we are to follow Jesus' example, this would not include non-believers.
I disagree. The Pharisees believed in God and were religious, yes. But they did not believe in Jesus. In fact, I would call them anti-Jesus or anti-Christian. Hence it would be erroneous to say they were believers from a Christian perspective. The Pharisees were antagonistic toward Jesus. They opposed Jesus at almost every opportunity, tried to undermine his authority and ministry, constantly demanded proofs and signs, plotted against him, denied him, spat on him, beat him, mocked him, and were eventually responsible for causing Jesus’ death. Jesus speaks scathingly of the Pharisees and scribes and calls them snakes. I think it would be a big stretch to say Jesus always treated them with civility. Jesus loved them, but was not always civil to them.
otseng wrote:In the context of defending the faith, 1 Pet 3:15 should be our guideline.

1Pe 3:15 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;
Yes, but the context here is we are to provide an answer for the hope that lies within us. I take that to mean be gentle and respectful to genuine seekers who have genuine questions and/or doubts. Not be gentle to everyone.

Atheists are called “fools� by the Psalmist. Those distorting the Gospel message are called “dogs� by Paul. The anti-Christian Pharisees are called hypocrites and snakes by Jesus. There are no punches being pulled here and a certain amount of what we would probably call incivility. Indeed they might have even been eventually banned from DC&R. ;)

Is there a point that a person is no longer a genuine seeker but more like a Pharisee than anything else? Are we a little too preoccupied with trying to be civil with certain overtly vocal anti-Christians? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating name calling or anything. But, Biblically, speaking are we to be civil at all times with everyone? No, I don’t think that is Biblical at all.

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Goose wrote:But, Biblically, speaking are we to be civil at all times with everyone? No, I don’t think that is Biblical at all.
Are we Biblically commanded to be civil at all times to everyone? I don't think this is commanded anywhere in the Bible.

But for behavior on this forum, yes, it is expected to be civil at all times with everyone.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Slopeshoulder »

YES! An extra-biblical claim: be civil here!

I'm neither a linguist nor an exegete, but I think the word "fool" is meant to suggest someone has poor or skewed judgment in bible translations and medieval theology. I don't think it was meant as uncivilly or as harshly as it sounds to us today.