Muhammad a prophet?

To discuss Islam topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Joshua Patrick
Apprentice

Muhammad a prophet?

Post #1

Post by Joshua Patrick »

The technical term used by Muslim scholars to designate a miracle that confirms prophethood is "mudjiza.

To qualify iy needs to be;

1) an act of God that cannot be done by any creature.
2)Contrary to the things the customary course of things in that class.
3) aimed at proving the authenticity of that prophet
4) preceded by the announcement of a forthcoming miracle.
5) carried out in the exact manner it was announced.
6) accomplished only through the hands of the prophet.
7) in no way contrary to his prophetic claim
8) accompanied by a challenge to reduplicate it
9) by anyone present. Muslims believe that Moses, Lord Jesus, Elijah performed miracles that fulfilled these criteria.

How come Muhammad did not provide any miracles?

He was challenged to do a miracle, and he did not perform a miracle.

Murad
Guru

Post #21

Post by Murad »

B-O-H wrote: You're judging Muhammad as a Prophet and give him all the credit in the world
I didn't see mormon boy or fitzerbiest giving Prophet Muhammad any credit? Or did i miss something?
B-O-H wrote: while the Koran makes it clear he was not at all worthy of your accolades and cover-ups.
Why so? Just because one anti-islamic website says so?
B-O-H wrote: He was responsible for 1000's of Jewish deaths
The Bani Quraytha Jews broke the peace treaty & brought Huyayy Ibn Akhtab into the battle of the trenches who was at the time Islams greatest enemy.
The punishment for treason in Islam is death, in the United States the punishment of treason is also death or life in prison. So whats your point?

For the full story:
When the Banu Nadir had been banished, their leading chiefs, Huyayy Ibn Akhtab, Abu Rafi and Sallam Ibn Abi Al-Huquaiq had migrated to Khaibar and got recognised as leading chiefs. The battle of the Trenches was but the results of their machinations. They travelled far and near agitating the tribes till the whole country rose up in arms and attacked Medina in alliance with the Quraish. The Jews of the Banu Quraiza had a mind to stick to the treaty, but Huyayy Ibn Akhtab won them over with his guiles, promising to re-establish himself at Medina in case the Quraish abandoned the attack; and this promise he fulfilled.
(Source: Sirat Un Nabi by Allama Shibli Nu'Mani rendered into English by M. Tayyib Bakhsh Budayuni, p.119-120, Volume. II, Kazi Publications Lahore)
B-O-H wrote: looting
Thats really funny, the Muslims did not engage warfare to loot & pillage villages, if you believe so, show me your proof. Taking the spoils of war is completely permissible under Sharia, and the loot that was attained during war, IN NO WAY went to Prophet Muhammad. It went to his people, it helped feed the poor & it helped establish the Islamic Khilafah. Im sure an islamaphobe like yourself would be surprised to know that Prophet Muhammad lived in a state of poverty when he had HALF of Arabia under his control. Show me another leader in the history of mankind that lived in poverty when he had so much wealth & political power under his finger. Please, give me one name.

B-O-H wrote: sex slave raping.
Provide your proof.
B-O-H wrote: And a pedophile.
Once a girl has reached puberty, she can be married. Furthermore, have your read the hadith's narrated by Aisha? Have you read HER opinion about the Prophet Muhammad? Would it surprise you to know that she praised the Prophet Muhammad more frequently than any other wife? Wait what? Why would she praise a pedophile?

And the hypocrisy is straight in your face, have you ever read YOUR scripture, the Bible?
1 Samuel 15:2-4
2 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.
3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, INFANT AND SUCKLING, ox and sheep, camel and ass.
4 And Saul gathered the people together, and numbered them in Telaim, two hundred thousand footmen, and ten thousand men of Judah.
I would say, atleast the Khilafah under the rule of Prophet Muhammad did not kill suckling babies or infant children, such barbarous acts are not permitted in Islam.
B-O-H wrote: It's all there, but you still cast your vote for that monster, and shamelessly cast away every other religion, or any solid evidence that exposes him as he truly was. All of Muhammad's countless victims go without justice. They are all thrown in the Lake of Fire as they are forbidden any compassion. Islam is digusting.
Thanks for your opinion, im sure we're going to take it seriously.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Re: Is The ( Qur'an ) A Continuation Of ( The Bible ) ?

Post #22

Post by sleepyhead »

RightKnowledge999 wrote:
Is The ( Qur'an ) A Continuation Of ( The Bible ) ?
Hello,

I used to be LDS which has/had people who are/were/claimed to be prophets so I've done some considerable thought to the question of who is and isn't a prophet. My understanding is that to be a prophet one must do something that is unique to the things that prophets do just like any other profession. If I wanted to claim I was a paperboy then I would need to deliver papers somewhere in order to make my claim legitimate. If I wanted to claim I was a pilot then I would need to do something that was unique to the function of flying planes.

From my reading of the bible the prophets had 2 functions.
1. They placed themselves in harms way in order to give God's word to various rulers. Moses before pharoah, Elijah before ahab and jezebel, Nahab before David.
2. They passed on their skills to the new generation. Samuel organized the school of the prophets. Elijah was the principle of one.

Is Islam working with the OT understanding of what a prophet is or do you have a new understanding of prophet? If you are using the OT understanding are there any other functions which you feel I've missed? In what way does Mohammed meet your definition fo prophet?
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

Murad
Guru

Re: Is The ( Qur'an ) A Continuation Of ( The Bible ) ?

Post #23

Post by Murad »

sleepyhead wrote:
RightKnowledge999 wrote:
Is The ( Qur'an ) A Continuation Of ( The Bible ) ?
Hello,

I used to be LDS which has/had people who are/were/claimed to be prophets so I've done some considerable thought to the question of who is and isn't a prophet. My understanding is that to be a prophet one must do something that is unique to the things that prophets do just like any other profession. If I wanted to claim I was a paperboy then I would need to deliver papers somewhere in order to make my claim legitimate. If I wanted to claim I was a pilot then I would need to do something that was unique to the function of flying planes.

From my reading of the bible the prophets had 2 functions.
1. They placed themselves in harms way in order to give God's word to various rulers. Moses before pharoah, Elijah before ahab and jezebel, Nahab before David.
2. They passed on their skills to the new generation. Samuel organized the school of the prophets. Elijah was the principle of one.

Is Islam working with the OT understanding of what a prophet is or do you have a new understanding of prophet? If you are using the OT understanding are there any other functions which you feel I've missed? In what way does Mohammed meet your definition fo prophet?
Muhammad is not only a prophet, but also a messenger.
Theres a difference in the two titles.

A prophet is someone who speaks & preaches under the will of God. (E.g. Jacob, Ishmael, Issac)
A messenger is someone who brings new 'divine law' under the will of God. [E.g. Jesus(Gospel) Moses(Mosaic Law), Abraham(Scrolls of Abraham) Muhammad(Quran)]

In Islamic Theology, Muhammad is the "Seal" of the Prophets, which makes him the restorer of truth & the 'Counselor'(according to John 16:7-13) & the last prophet for all mankind(Muhammads prophethood is a sign of the apocalypse[comming of the hour]).
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello murad,

>>>Muhammad is not only a prophet, but also a messenger.
Theres a difference in the two titles. <<<

The common understanding of messenger is to deliver a message from one party to another party. That's what mohamed did, or at least claimed to do. I don't see any discrepancy in calling him a messenger.

>>>A messenger is someone who brings new 'divine law' under the will of God. [E.g. Jesus(Gospel) Moses(Mosaic Law), Abraham(Scrolls of Abraham) Muhammad(Quran)] <<<

This isn't the common understanding of the word messenger. The purpose of my response involves what appears to me as the need of Islam to take an already defined word and change it's meaning in order to meet their needs.

>>>A prophet is someone who speaks & preaches under the will of God. (E.g. Jacob, Ishmael, Issac) <<<

Using this definition there would be quite a lot of prophets. Pretty much all theists could claim the title of prophet. I don't recall either Jacob, Ishmael, or Isaac trying to claim that title for themselves. How did you derive this definition?

>>>In Islamic Theology, Muhammad is the "Seal" of the Prophets,<<<

No problem here. The Catholics are free to define what a pope is any way they want because it's there word. Your free to define the seal of the prophets anyway you like because thats your word. Prophet and messenger were already defined words and the meanings shouldn't be changed just to meet the needs of some particular group.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

Murad
Guru

Post #25

Post by Murad »

sleepyhead wrote:Hello murad,

>>>Muhammad is not only a prophet, but also a messenger.
Theres a difference in the two titles. <<<

The common understanding of messenger is to deliver a message from one party to another party. That's what mohamed did, or at least claimed to do. I don't see any discrepancy in calling him a messenger.
Yep, thats the basic understanding in Judaism & Christianity, but Islam is slightly different.
Wikipedia wrote: Distinguishing between prophets and messengers

The Qur'an, like the quoted passage from the New Testament, may rank a messenger higher than a prophet. For example, whenever both titles appear together, "messenger" comes first. Crucially, a messenger delivers a new religious law (Sharia) revealed by God, whereas a prophet continues an old one.[citation needed] God sends both prophets and messengers as givers of good news and as admonishers of their people. In the case of messengers, however, it appears that a close relationship exists between them and their people (ummah). A messenger will become the witness that God will take from that community on the Day of Judgment (see the following sura; Yunus;[51] An-Nahl;[52] Al-Mu’minoon;[53] Ghafir;[54] An-Nisa;[55] Al-Qasas.[56]) According to the Qur'an, God sent Muhammad to all of humanity and to the Djinn.[8][Need quotation to verify]

Muslims distinguish between celestial and human messengers. In the Qur'anic world, God has made the angels messengers but not prophets. The human messengers, however, also function as prophets — though not every prophet serves as a messenger.[4] Angels always carry "orders" to the human prophets or messengers on what to say, what to do, and so forth. While human messengers deliver some messages about new orders to the people, prophets only reinforce previous orders by earlier messengers or prophets, but since the angels carry orders to prophets to do their duty, then all angels of revelations count as messengers.
sleepyhead wrote: >>>A messenger is someone who brings new 'divine law' under the will of God. [E.g. Jesus(Gospel) Moses(Mosaic Law), Abraham(Scrolls of Abraham) Muhammad(Quran)] <<<

This isn't the common understanding of the word messenger. The purpose of my response involves what appears to me as the need of Islam to take an already defined word and change it's meaning in order to meet their needs.
Well, the reason the word 'Messenger' is pre-defined is because there isn't any english word that represents the arabic word "Rasool" in its true meaning.
sleepyhead wrote: >>>A prophet is someone who speaks & preaches under the will of God. (E.g. Jacob, Ishmael, Issac) <<<

Using this definition there would be quite a lot of prophets. Pretty much all theists could claim the title of prophet.
Well i was referring to the prophets mentioned in the Quran. In Islamic Theology Prophet Muhammad is the last(Seal) prophet, so no one can claim to be a prophet.
sleepyhead wrote: I don't recall either Jacob, Ishmael, or Isaac trying to claim that title for themselves. How did you derive this definition?
My bad, Ishmael is also a messenger.
Regarding Jacob & Isaac, their prophethood is derived from the Quran:
When he had turned away from them and from those whom they worshipped besides Allah, We bestowed on him Isaac and Jacob, and each one of them We made a prophet.
(Quran 19:49)
To be a messenger, the Quran must call the prophet a "Rasool", for example Jesus was called a "Rasool":
O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger(Rasool) of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His messengers. Say not "Trinity" : desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is one Allah: Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.
(Quran 4:171)
Without having the title of "Rasool", you cannot be a messenger.

sleepyhead wrote: >>>In Islamic Theology, Muhammad is the "Seal" of the Prophets,<<<

No problem here. The Catholics are free to define what a pope is any way they want because it's there word. Your free to define the seal of the prophets anyway you like because thats your word. Prophet and messenger were already defined words and the meanings shouldn't be changed just to meet the needs of some particular group.
Well the Catholic definition of "Pope" isn't found in their holy scripture "Bible". While we have references in the Quran & Sahih Hadith.

As i said earlier, there are no perfect parallels to arabic words in english, thus the reason some words are slightly pre-defined.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

B-O-H
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by B-O-H »

Apparently, a "prophet" of Allah is a gangster that can get away with murder.
All of Islam will cover up for their man.
Speak the truth about him and get offed.
Cut your head off
while he sticks his little willie in a 9 year old girl.
have a 120 year old man killed.
to still his rightious voice.
But he is their man. Speak no ill of their man.
Love Muhammad or we kill you.
The God of the New Testament,
You know, the one that hates the false prophet?
He aint allowed to hate on their Muhammad either.
But guess what...
He still does

Murad
Guru

Post #27

Post by Murad »

B-O-H i feel sorry for you, i honestly do.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by Kuan »

Murad wrote:B-O-H i feel sorry for you, i honestly do.
LOL, want to say I do but with all he has said.... :roll:
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

B-O-H
Banned
Banned

Post #29

Post by B-O-H »

Srsly, the God of the NT HATES the false prophet that doesn't speak the truth about Jesus. We're talking an eternity in the Lake of Fire for him, AND his followers gets thrown in as well. There will be no reincarnation for the followers of the false one for 1000 years. Only God's people will return to rule the world. But Muhammad's your man. You, like Muhammad, don't care. You share in Muhammad's complete lack of compassion for the Christian God. Muhammad craps all over Jesus's good name and legacy. But Muhammad is your man. It is you that merits pity.

B-O-H
Banned
Banned

Post #30

Post by B-O-H »

THat's why I know that the future of Christianity has Muhammad as the perfect example of what NOT to do, who NOT to be, and who God despises. Muhammad will forever be deitized as the antichrist. The unfaithful one. The murdering one. The sexually perverted one.. I could go on...That is his destiny.