Question about slaves and difference of Judaism and Islam

To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Savant

Question about slaves and difference of Judaism and Islam

Post #1

Post by 1213 »

I hope this is not wrong place to ask these questions that I have wondered some time. I also hope these are not offensive or something that’s not polite to ask.

Many times atheists have asked from me about slaves. As you probably know Jews are/were allowed to keep them in terms that are for example written in Leviticus 25. But then, in my opinion, it’s forbidden in Book of Jeremiah to keep slaves (Jeremiah 34:8-10 and 34:11:17). Do I understand correctly: because of Book of Jeremiah, Jews are not allowed to keep slaves anymore? Or is there some other things related to this in Old Testament that I should know? Of course there may also be secular laws that also effects, but if we only study this from Old Testaments point of view.

And the second question is about Judaism and Islam. I’m interested to know, what Jews think is the greatest difference in Judaism and Islam?

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Question about slaves and difference of Judaism and Isla

Post #2

Post by Goat »

1213 wrote:I hope this is not wrong place to ask these questions that I have wondered some time. I also hope these are not offensive or something that’s not polite to ask.

Many times atheists have asked from me about slaves. As you probably know Jews are/were allowed to keep them in terms that are for example written in Leviticus 25. But then, in my opinion, it’s forbidden in Book of Jeremiah to keep slaves (Jeremiah 34:8-10 and 34:11:17). Do I understand correctly: because of Book of Jeremiah, Jews are not allowed to keep slaves anymore? Or is there some other things related to this in Old Testament that I should know? Of course there may also be secular laws that also effects, but if we only study this from Old Testaments point of view.

And the second question is about Judaism and Islam. I’m interested to know, what Jews think is the greatest difference in Judaism and Islam?
There is no prohibition in the Torah or later Talmud rulings about slavery. Jews did participate in Slavery, but in a very minor role (probably less percentage of Jews were slave holders than there were Jews).

All in all, there aren't any religious prohibitions against it, and people will be people. One item you will find is there were a large number of Jewish people in the abolitionist movements, just as there were a large number of Jew in the civil rights movement in the 1960's. Although there are exceptions of course, you will find more Jews worrying about social injustice than would be slave owners.

As for the biggest difference between Judaism and Islam.. Islam has an emphasis on 'Submission to God', while Judaism has a strong traditions of 'wrestling with god'.. in other words, not accepting that someone claims something is a moral imperative from god, but challenging it if it is thought to be immoral.

The traditional way of Judaism about teaching Talmud is debate, and making people support their viewpoint with other commentary, and being able to back up your opinion. It seems to me that Islam (and Christianity), often has 'This is what it says, you better take my interpretation of it as the way it has to be'.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Thank you for your answer.

Can you say how Jews take Book of Jeremiah? Do you/they think its teachings are correct and relevant?

alex00ander
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by alex00ander »

1213 wrote:I hope this is not wrong place to ask these questions that I have wondered some time. I also hope these are not offensive or something that’s not polite to ask.

If you only study the question of slavery from the view of the old testament you might technically be allowed to keep slaves. But even when Jew's were allowed to keep slaves there were restrictions for how long they could keep them and ethical standards for the treatment of slaves. It is important to keep in mind that Jews rarely rely solely on the Torah for making decisions.

http://www.jerusalemexperience.com/stat ... Dolorosa]

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

alex00ander wrote:

If you only study the question of slavery from the view of the old testament you might technically be allowed to keep slaves. But even when Jew's were allowed to keep slaves there were restrictions for how long they could keep them and ethical standards for the treatment of slaves. It is important to keep in mind that Jews rarely rely solely on the Torah for making decisions.

http://www.jerusalemexperience.com/stat ... Dolorosa]
I think you have good point in that.

Also, in my opinion, it is not so bad to give right to buy slave, if someone is willing to sell. If all other nations have right to buy slaves, I think it is ok, if also Jews have that right.

More important question in my opinion is why other nations would sell. Selling people is in my opinion questionable, not buying. If someone is willing to sell own people, it is maybe good if for example some Jew buy. They at least have good law. :)

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

1213 wrote: Also, in my opinion, it is not so bad to give right to buy slave, if someone is willing to sell. If all other nations have right to buy slaves, I think it is ok, if also Jews have that right.
You only have the right to sell that which you own. Who owns a person? His or her nation?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

McCulloch wrote:
1213 wrote: Also, in my opinion, it is not so bad to give right to buy slave, if someone is willing to sell. If all other nations have right to buy slaves, I think it is ok, if also Jews have that right.
You only have the right to sell that which you own. Who owns a person? His or her nation?
Obviously it depends on from who you ask. But even today many seem to think that they own their children.