Were the majority of atheists once religious?
Moderator: Moderators
- Zetesis Apistia
- Guru
- Posts: 1256
- Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:27 pm
- Location: Indiana
Were the majority of atheists once religious?
Post #1I raised this question in another thread. It is my contention that a bad religious experience and not a lack of evidence is the basic cause for atheism. I also believe that the majority of atheists came from either a catholic or a protestant background. What I would like to do is add a poll to the thread so we can get an accurate count. If you desire to add anything with your vote feel free to have at it.
- Danmark
- Site Supporter
- Posts: 12697
- Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:58 am
- Location: Seattle
- Been thanked: 1 time
Post #241
You make this same error over and over; that whatever is in the Bible is true because 'it's in the Bible.' This attitude absolutely destroys critical analysis.Zetesis Apistia wrote:For one it is from a liberal perspective, which is a different school of thought from the traditional claim that Moses wrote it. Secondly the law was given to Moses in the mount.Jax Agnesson wrote:Excellent reply! (I like skepticism.Zetesis Apistia wrote:
Possibly no bias. I am just skeptical by nature that's all. Let's say they must start from there and earn my convincing and that is not an easy task.)
so what did you think of Kolel's answer to the question you asked: 'Who wrote the Bible'?
Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?
Post #242Thank you ZA, nice to talk again.Zetesis Apistia wrote:Bern welcome to the thread. And yes I do find it odd that every ex Christian atheist has nothing but good to say about their religious past. That is glaring.bernee51 wrote:
While I have not read every reply in the thread, from a quick glance it would appear that few if any atheists claim a 'bad religious experience' as the reason for their atheism.
Perhaps they are all in denial![]()
Oh I could say plenty bad about the religion in which I grew up...it, through its tenets and those who believed in them, have caused all sorts of mischief in the lives of many. Christianity, a religion of conversion, is by its nature a religion of division, a religion of violence.
Romans 22 is the first noble truth of Buddhism...The truth of dukkha (suffering, anxiety, unsatisfactoriness).Zetesis Apistia wrote:The apostle Paul wrote that all of creation hungers for God. (Romans 8:22-23) In other words we are all hard wired to search for God. To say that we aren't searching is to live in denial. IMObernee51 wrote:
What MY religious upbringing taught me was critical thinking. It was this and this alone that has led me to atheism. I went to RC schools for my entire education and was very much involved in the rituals of the RC Mass etc.
I have come across similar questions previously to that in the OP. In my exerience the sub-text which brings about the question is a belief on the part of the theist asking the question that NO ONE could NOT believe in god therefore there must be some other reason.
This 'other reason' invariably takes the form of something like the OP, i.e. atheists really, at heart, believe in god but have rejected it because of some 'bad experience'.
That all 'creation' hungers to be relieved of suffering is no surprise. You would seem to call this 'freedom from suffering' god. Something 'out there'. Freedom, in the words of Paul rests in some 'other' as we "...wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies."
I see the answer, god if you will, as being a lot closer "to home".
Monoimos gave us an inkling when he wrote....
Seek Him inside yourself, and learn who it is that says: "My God, my spirit, my understanding, my soul and my body. Understand the source of sorrow and joy, and love and hate, and waking though you don't want to, and sleeping though you don't want to, and getting angry when you don't want to, and falling in love though you don't want to. For if you closely investigate these things, you will find Him inside yourself."
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"
William James quoting Dr. Hodgson
"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."
Nisargadatta Maharaj
William James quoting Dr. Hodgson
"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."
Nisargadatta Maharaj
Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?
Post #243There's always a reason. I'm quite certain that most atheists who once had faith in God would not care to admit that a bad religious experience was the result of them losing their faith. It places them in a much more favorable light if their decision should be a result of their strong ability to reason. I believe that most atheists have no idea why they've lost their faith. It just happened. I think the following verses of scripture apply.Zetesis Apistia wrote: I raised this question in another thread. It is my contention that a bad religious experience and not a lack of evidence is the basic cause for atheism. I also believe that the majority of atheists came from either a catholic or a protestant background. What I would like to do is add a poll to the thread so we can get an accurate count. If you desire to add anything with your vote feel free to have at it.
(Matthew 13:18-23)
And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables? The sower soweth the word. And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts. And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness; And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended. And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word, And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful. And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred.
(Luke 8:16-18)
And he said unto them, Is a candle brought to be put under a bushel, or under a bed? and not to be set on a candlestick? For there is nothing hid, which shall not be manifested; neither was any thing kept secret, but that it should come abroad. If any man have ears to hear, let him hear. And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given. For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath.
Here is another:
James 2:17 says, Faith without works is dead.
Love of God is a work of faith. And it is a requirement of God that those who believe in Him, love Him and obey Him.
Notice what God says in His commandments to mankind:
You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments."
And then the 2 great commandments of God as given through Jesus:
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself." (Luke 10:27)
And then Jesus even promises evidence to those who obey Him. He says:
If ye love me, keep my commandments.
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. (John 14:15-17)
So, I don't believe that atheists who were former believers necessarily are angry with God; though if they were, making amends would be prudent; I believe that they quite simply stopped loving Him. Perhaps they never did. Perhaps the seed that was planted in them never took root. Perhaps their faith was strangled by thorns and thistles. There's always a reason, but I gather most of their reasons for losing faith in God have little to do with sound reason.
Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?
Post #244Many atheist here have provided very clear reasons as to why the no longer hold a god belief.Sonofason wrote:There's always a reason. I'm quite certain that most atheists who once had faith in God would not care to admit that a bad religious experience was the result of them losing their faith. It places them in a much more favorable light if their decision should be a result of their strong ability to reason. I believe that most atheists have no idea why they've lost their faith.I raised this question in another thread. It is my contention that a bad religious experience and not a lack of evidence is the basic cause for atheism. I also believe that the majority of atheists came from either a catholic or a protestant background. What I would like to do is add a poll to the thread so we can get an accurate count. If you desire to add anything with your vote feel free to have at it.
{{{{{snipped....a bunch of irrelevant quotes from religious promotional material}}}}
Or what?Sonofason wrote:
So, I don't believe that atheists who were former believers necessarily are angry with God; though if they were, making amends would be prudent;
No...they stopped believing that god is anything more than a concept.Sonofason wrote:
I believe that they quite simply stopped loving Him.
Or perhaps they just came to the conclusion that the concept of god is just that and does not reflect an extant reality.Sonofason wrote:
Perhaps they never did. Perhaps the seed that was planted in them never took root. Perhaps their faith was strangled by thorns and thistles.
On what basis do you 'gather' this?Sonofason wrote:
There's always a reason, but I gather most of their reasons for losing faith in God have little to do with sound reason.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"
William James quoting Dr. Hodgson
"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."
Nisargadatta Maharaj
William James quoting Dr. Hodgson
"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."
Nisargadatta Maharaj
- TheJoshAbideth
- Site Supporter
- Posts: 351
- Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:56 pm
Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?
Post #245[Replying to post 243 by Sonofason]
Oh my... he, he... He. I think he knows???
One of the most annoying responses. Arrogant, ignorant. You don't know where I've been or what I've felt, or what I've believed. My assertion is that I was more of a christian/ had more faith/ believed more fully than you will be capable of in your entire life.
Argue it man. Tell me I am wrong.
Oh my... he, he... He. I think he knows???
One of the most annoying responses. Arrogant, ignorant. You don't know where I've been or what I've felt, or what I've believed. My assertion is that I was more of a christian/ had more faith/ believed more fully than you will be capable of in your entire life.
Argue it man. Tell me I am wrong.
- Danmark
- Site Supporter
- Posts: 12697
- Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:58 am
- Location: Seattle
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?
Post #246Of course you don't believe it. You don't believe evidence. You don't believe people who report their own experiences. You are full of unsupported opinions and your speculative 'perhaps ... perhaps ... perhaps' whatever.Sonofason wrote: So, I don't believe that atheists who were former believers necessarily are angry with God; though if they were, making amends would be prudent; I believe that they quite simply stopped loving Him. Perhaps they never did. Perhaps the seed that was planted in them never took root. Perhaps their faith was strangled by thorns and thistles. There's always a reason, but I gather most of their reasons for losing faith in God have little to do with sound reason.
You're taking the position that you know everyone's mind [people you've never met] better than they do.
You're entitled to close your mind and refuse to learn and to never change. That's your prerogative. But in refusing to accept what any of the former xian non theists report about their personal histories, what are the alternatives to calling them deluded or dishonest and that you know their own personal reality better than they do?
Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?
Post #247Perhaps this might be the next gambit "prove you didn't have a bad religious experience that turned you atheist"Danmark wrote:Of course you don't believe it. You don't believe evidence. You don't believe people who report their own experiences. You are full of unsupported opinions and your speculative 'perhaps ... perhaps ... perhaps' whatever.Sonofason wrote: So, I don't believe that atheists who were former believers necessarily are angry with God; though if they were, making amends would be prudent; I believe that they quite simply stopped loving Him. Perhaps they never did. Perhaps the seed that was planted in them never took root. Perhaps their faith was strangled by thorns and thistles. There's always a reason, but I gather most of their reasons for losing faith in God have little to do with sound reason.
You're taking the position that you know everyone's mind [people you've never met] better than they do.
You're entitled to close your mind and refuse to learn and to never change. That's your prerogative. But in refusing to accept what any of the former xian non theists report about their personal histories, what are the alternatives to calling them deluded or dishonest and that you know their own personal reality better than they do?
Oh dear
I'll tell you everything I've learned...................
and LOVE is all he said
-The Boy With The Moon and Star On His Head-Cat Stevens.
and LOVE is all he said
-The Boy With The Moon and Star On His Head-Cat Stevens.
- Jax Agnesson
- Guru
- Posts: 1819
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:54 am
- Location: UK
Post #248
Thanks for the direct reply.Zetesis Apistia wrote:For one it is from a liberal perspective, which is a different school of thought from the traditional claim that Moses wrote it. Secondly the law was given to Moses in the mount.Jax Agnesson wrote:Excellent reply! (I like skepticism.Zetesis Apistia wrote:
Possibly no bias. I am just skeptical by nature that's all. Let's say they must start from there and earn my convincing and that is not an easy task.)
so what did you think of Kolel's answer to the question you asked: 'Who wrote the Bible'?
Can I ask what you thought of the archeological eidence, and the interpretations offered by Finkelstein and Silberman?
- Jax Agnesson
- Guru
- Posts: 1819
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:54 am
- Location: UK
Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?
Post #249Dear Sonofason: If you would like to look at some real-world data, I am willing to give my account of my personal journey from devout believer to atheist.Sonofason wrote:
.. . I'm quite certain that most atheists who once had faith in God would not care to admit that a bad religious experience was the result of them losing their faith. It places them in a much more favorable light if their decision should be a result of their strong ability to reason. I believe that most atheists have no idea why they've lost their faith. It just happened. I think the following verses of scripture apply.
-<snip> -
So, I don't believe that atheists who were former believers necessarily are angry with God; though if they were, making amends would be prudent; I believe that they quite simply stopped loving Him. Perhaps they never did. Perhaps the seed that was planted in them never took root. Perhaps their faith was strangled by thorns and thistles. There's always a reason, but I gather most of their reasons for losing faith in God have little to do with sound reason.
But I would require you not to accuse me of lying where my account differs from your generalised picture.
Would you like that?
- Nickman
- Site Supporter
- Posts: 5443
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:51 am
- Location: Idaho
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?
Post #250[Replying to post 243 by Sonofason]
Some of us may have had bad experiences, others have not. I became an atheist after studying the bible. I allowed the bible to tell me its story. Using context, original definitions, extrabiblical material from the time period, and scientific understanding, I could no longer hold to the bible as the word of God. Nothing bad ever happened. I wasn't molested by a deacon or pastor, I was never done wrong by a fellow member, and don't have any bad memories. I just learned the bible. I allowed for the possibility that the bible could be wrong, and it was.
Some of us may have had bad experiences, others have not. I became an atheist after studying the bible. I allowed the bible to tell me its story. Using context, original definitions, extrabiblical material from the time period, and scientific understanding, I could no longer hold to the bible as the word of God. Nothing bad ever happened. I wasn't molested by a deacon or pastor, I was never done wrong by a fellow member, and don't have any bad memories. I just learned the bible. I allowed for the possibility that the bible could be wrong, and it was.


