Were the majority of atheists once religious?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply

Are you an atheist with a religious past?

Are you and atheist with a protestant or catholic past?
11
52%
Are you an atheist with a non religious past?
7
33%
Are you an atheist with a religious other than protestant or catholic past?
3
14%
 
Total votes: 21

User avatar
Zetesis Apistia
Guru
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:27 pm
Location: Indiana

Were the majority of atheists once religious?

Post #1

Post by Zetesis Apistia »

I raised this question in another thread. It is my contention that a bad religious experience and not a lack of evidence is the basic cause for atheism. I also believe that the majority of atheists came from either a catholic or a protestant background. What I would like to do is add a poll to the thread so we can get an accurate count. If you desire to add anything with your vote feel free to have at it.

User avatar
Deadclown
Scholar
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:02 pm
Location: Indiana

Post #261

Post by Deadclown »

Sonofason wrote:Why do you not let me answer your first question before putting words in my mouth with regard to your second question. I, at this point in time, have no reason to disbelieve your claim that you own a Bugatti Veyron. But then, I don't know you. I don't even know what a Bugatti Veyron is. Perhaps you could explain what it is before I pass any judgements on your present claim. I have evidence of God. I have God's Holy Spirit dwelling in me. It is not so hard to believe me, for many believers will confirm the existence of the Holy Spirit, because they share a similar, if not the same experience of God, as I do.
That is an Appeal to Popularity, even if it is true. Just because lots of people agree with you doesnt mean that you are right. Your specific experiences are anecdotal. If you truly have Gods Holy Spirit dwelling within you, are you capable of reliably producing miracles in a laboratory environment?
10CC wrote: If I tell you that I own a Bugatti Veyron and cannot produce evidence of this Bugatti Veyron would you be within your rights to tell me that my Bugatti Veyron is non existent?

Why then does your claim that a god exists that you cannot provide evidence of bear a mantle of your special pleading?
Sonofason wrote: So who else do you know has shared your experience of owning a Bugatti Veyron? Are you the only person who owns one? How many people claim to own Bugatti Veyrons? If I knew you better, perhaps I could better determine whether or not you make trustworthy claims. But at present, I see no reason to disbelieve your claim. Because I don't know you, and because I have never heard of such a thing as a Bugatti Veyron, I certainly have no good reason to believe it. But at the same time, at this present time, I have no good reason to disbelieve it either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron

I think you are missing 10CCs point.

I believe that Bugatti Veyrons exist because there is evidence to support their existence. I do not believe that 10CC owns one (because they are relatively rare and thus this is a more extraordinary claim than ownership of a Ford Pinto) until they present evidence in support of it, and even then I would recognize that it could be a trick. However, if sufficient evidence is presented from enough reliable unbiased sources, then I would conditionally accept it as a fact.

These are appropriate standards for accepting something as fact. To say that a specific god or gods does not have to meet these standards is the Special Pleading fallacy.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. - Mark Twain

User avatar
Nickman
Site Supporter
Posts: 5443
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Idaho
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?

Post #262

Post by Nickman »

Sonofason wrote:
10CC wrote: [Replying to post 251 by Sonofason]

If I tell you that I own a Bugatti Veyron and cannot produce evidence of this Bugatti Veyron would you be within your rights to tell me that my Bugatti Veyron is non existent?
Why then does your claim that a god exists that you cannot provide evidence of bear a mantle of your special pleading?
Why do you not let me answer your first question before putting words in my mouth with regard to your second question. I, at this point in time, have no reason to disbelieve your claim that you own a Bugatti Veyron. But then, I don't know you. I don't even know what a Bugatti Veyron is. Perhaps you could explain what it is before I pass any judgements on your present claim. I have evidence of God. I have God's Holy Spirit dwelling in me. It is not so hard to believe me, for many believers will confirm the existence of the Holy Spirit, because they share a similar, if not the same experience of God, as I do.

So who else do you know has shared your experience of owning a Bugatti Veyron? Are you the only person who owns one? How many people claim to own Bugatti Veyrons? If I knew you better, perhaps I could better determine whether or not you make trustworthy claims. But at present, I see no reason to disbelieve your claim. Because I don't know you, and because I have never heard of such a thing as a Bugatti Veyron, I certainly have no good reason to believe it. But at the same time, at this present time, I have no good reason to disbelieve it either.

Image

User avatar
Sonofason
Banned
Banned
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?

Post #263

Post by Sonofason »

Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
10CC wrote: [Replying to post 251 by Sonofason]

If I tell you that I own a Bugatti Veyron and cannot produce evidence of this Bugatti Veyron would you be within your rights to tell me that my Bugatti Veyron is non existent?
Why then does your claim that a god exists that you cannot provide evidence of bear a mantle of your special pleading?
Why do you not let me answer your first question before putting words in my mouth with regard to your second question. I, at this point in time, have no reason to disbelieve your claim that you own a Bugatti Veyron. But then, I don't know you. I don't even know what a Bugatti Veyron is. Perhaps you could explain what it is before I pass any judgements on your present claim. I have evidence of God. I have God's Holy Spirit dwelling in me. It is not so hard to believe me, for many believers will confirm the existence of the Holy Spirit, because they share a similar, if not the same experience of God, as I do.

So who else do you know has shared your experience of owning a Bugatti Veyron? Are you the only person who owns one? How many people claim to own Bugatti Veyrons? If I knew you better, perhaps I could better determine whether or not you make trustworthy claims. But at present, I see no reason to disbelieve your claim. Because I don't know you, and because I have never heard of such a thing as a Bugatti Veyron, I certainly have no good reason to believe it. But at the same time, at this present time, I have no good reason to disbelieve it either.

Image
From what I can see, you have provided a picture of what appears to be a car. I still have not seen any evidence that you own a Bugatti Veyron, but it seems that you are implying that a Bugatti Veyron is a car, and that you own one, and that this is a photograph of the supposed Bugatti Veyron that you own. Now would be a good time to show evidence that this is indeed a Bugatti Veyron, that a Bugatti Veyron is a car, and that this particular Bugatti Veyron, if that is indeed what is in the photograph, is your Bugatti Veyron. But at this point in time, I still have not seen evidence that you own a Bugatti Veyron, or that such a thing even exists.

User avatar
Nickman
Site Supporter
Posts: 5443
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Idaho
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?

Post #264

Post by Nickman »

Sonofason wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
10CC wrote: [Replying to post 251 by Sonofason]

If I tell you that I own a Bugatti Veyron and cannot produce evidence of this Bugatti Veyron would you be within your rights to tell me that my Bugatti Veyron is non existent?
Why then does your claim that a god exists that you cannot provide evidence of bear a mantle of your special pleading?
Why do you not let me answer your first question before putting words in my mouth with regard to your second question. I, at this point in time, have no reason to disbelieve your claim that you own a Bugatti Veyron. But then, I don't know you. I don't even know what a Bugatti Veyron is. Perhaps you could explain what it is before I pass any judgements on your present claim. I have evidence of God. I have God's Holy Spirit dwelling in me. It is not so hard to believe me, for many believers will confirm the existence of the Holy Spirit, because they share a similar, if not the same experience of God, as I do.

So who else do you know has shared your experience of owning a Bugatti Veyron? Are you the only person who owns one? How many people claim to own Bugatti Veyrons? If I knew you better, perhaps I could better determine whether or not you make trustworthy claims. But at present, I see no reason to disbelieve your claim. Because I don't know you, and because I have never heard of such a thing as a Bugatti Veyron, I certainly have no good reason to believe it. But at the same time, at this present time, I have no good reason to disbelieve it either.

Image
From what I can see, you have provided a picture of what appears to be a car. I still have not seen any evidence that you own a Bugatti Veyron, but it seems that you are implying that a Bugatti Veyron is a car, and that you own one, and that this is a photograph of the supposed Bugatti Veyron that you own. Now would be a good time to show evidence that this is indeed a Bugatti Veyron, that a Bugatti Veyron is a car, and that this particular Bugatti Veyron, if that is indeed what is in the photograph, is your Bugatti Veyron. But at this point in time, I still have not seen evidence that you own a Bugatti Veyron, or that such a thing even exists.
I was just providing you with a visual of what a Bugatti Veyron is. Im not claiming anything.

User avatar
Sonofason
Banned
Banned
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?

Post #265

Post by Sonofason »

Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
10CC wrote: [Replying to post 251 by Sonofason]

If I tell you that I own a Bugatti Veyron and cannot produce evidence of this Bugatti Veyron would you be within your rights to tell me that my Bugatti Veyron is non existent?
Why then does your claim that a god exists that you cannot provide evidence of bear a mantle of your special pleading?
Why do you not let me answer your first question before putting words in my mouth with regard to your second question. I, at this point in time, have no reason to disbelieve your claim that you own a Bugatti Veyron. But then, I don't know you. I don't even know what a Bugatti Veyron is. Perhaps you could explain what it is before I pass any judgements on your present claim. I have evidence of God. I have God's Holy Spirit dwelling in me. It is not so hard to believe me, for many believers will confirm the existence of the Holy Spirit, because they share a similar, if not the same experience of God, as I do.

So who else do you know has shared your experience of owning a Bugatti Veyron? Are you the only person who owns one? How many people claim to own Bugatti Veyrons? If I knew you better, perhaps I could better determine whether or not you make trustworthy claims. But at present, I see no reason to disbelieve your claim. Because I don't know you, and because I have never heard of such a thing as a Bugatti Veyron, I certainly have no good reason to believe it. But at the same time, at this present time, I have no good reason to disbelieve it either.

Image
From what I can see, you have provided a picture of what appears to be a car. I still have not seen any evidence that you own a Bugatti Veyron, but it seems that you are implying that a Bugatti Veyron is a car, and that you own one, and that this is a photograph of the supposed Bugatti Veyron that you own. Now would be a good time to show evidence that this is indeed a Bugatti Veyron, that a Bugatti Veyron is a car, and that this particular Bugatti Veyron, if that is indeed what is in the photograph, is your Bugatti Veyron. But at this point in time, I still have not seen evidence that you own a Bugatti Veyron, or that such a thing even exists.
I was just providing you with a visual of what a Bugatti Veyron is. Im not claiming anything.
Okay, there's the claim.

"I was just providing you with a visual of what a Bugatti Veyron is".

This is a claim.

User avatar
Nickman
Site Supporter
Posts: 5443
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Idaho
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?

Post #266

Post by Nickman »

Sonofason wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
10CC wrote: [Replying to post 251 by Sonofason]

If I tell you that I own a Bugatti Veyron and cannot produce evidence of this Bugatti Veyron would you be within your rights to tell me that my Bugatti Veyron is non existent?
Why then does your claim that a god exists that you cannot provide evidence of bear a mantle of your special pleading?
Why do you not let me answer your first question before putting words in my mouth with regard to your second question. I, at this point in time, have no reason to disbelieve your claim that you own a Bugatti Veyron. But then, I don't know you. I don't even know what a Bugatti Veyron is. Perhaps you could explain what it is before I pass any judgements on your present claim. I have evidence of God. I have God's Holy Spirit dwelling in me. It is not so hard to believe me, for many believers will confirm the existence of the Holy Spirit, because they share a similar, if not the same experience of God, as I do.

So who else do you know has shared your experience of owning a Bugatti Veyron? Are you the only person who owns one? How many people claim to own Bugatti Veyrons? If I knew you better, perhaps I could better determine whether or not you make trustworthy claims. But at present, I see no reason to disbelieve your claim. Because I don't know you, and because I have never heard of such a thing as a Bugatti Veyron, I certainly have no good reason to believe it. But at the same time, at this present time, I have no good reason to disbelieve it either.

Image
From what I can see, you have provided a picture of what appears to be a car. I still have not seen any evidence that you own a Bugatti Veyron, but it seems that you are implying that a Bugatti Veyron is a car, and that you own one, and that this is a photograph of the supposed Bugatti Veyron that you own. Now would be a good time to show evidence that this is indeed a Bugatti Veyron, that a Bugatti Veyron is a car, and that this particular Bugatti Veyron, if that is indeed what is in the photograph, is your Bugatti Veyron. But at this point in time, I still have not seen evidence that you own a Bugatti Veyron, or that such a thing even exists.
I was just providing you with a visual of what a Bugatti Veyron is. Im not claiming anything.
Okay, there's the claim.

"I was just providing you with a visual of what a Bugatti Veyron is".

This is a claim.
Huh? You said that you didn't know what a Bugatti was so that is why I posted the pic for you. Im making no claim. I was just trying to help you out.

User avatar
Sonofason
Banned
Banned
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?

Post #267

Post by Sonofason »

Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
10CC wrote: [Replying to post 251 by Sonofason]

If I tell you that I own a Bugatti Veyron and cannot produce evidence of this Bugatti Veyron would you be within your rights to tell me that my Bugatti Veyron is non existent?
Why then does your claim that a god exists that you cannot provide evidence of bear a mantle of your special pleading?
Why do you not let me answer your first question before putting words in my mouth with regard to your second question. I, at this point in time, have no reason to disbelieve your claim that you own a Bugatti Veyron. But then, I don't know you. I don't even know what a Bugatti Veyron is. Perhaps you could explain what it is before I pass any judgements on your present claim. I have evidence of God. I have God's Holy Spirit dwelling in me. It is not so hard to believe me, for many believers will confirm the existence of the Holy Spirit, because they share a similar, if not the same experience of God, as I do.

So who else do you know has shared your experience of owning a Bugatti Veyron? Are you the only person who owns one? How many people claim to own Bugatti Veyrons? If I knew you better, perhaps I could better determine whether or not you make trustworthy claims. But at present, I see no reason to disbelieve your claim. Because I don't know you, and because I have never heard of such a thing as a Bugatti Veyron, I certainly have no good reason to believe it. But at the same time, at this present time, I have no good reason to disbelieve it either.

Image
From what I can see, you have provided a picture of what appears to be a car. I still have not seen any evidence that you own a Bugatti Veyron, but it seems that you are implying that a Bugatti Veyron is a car, and that you own one, and that this is a photograph of the supposed Bugatti Veyron that you own. Now would be a good time to show evidence that this is indeed a Bugatti Veyron, that a Bugatti Veyron is a car, and that this particular Bugatti Veyron, if that is indeed what is in the photograph, is your Bugatti Veyron. But at this point in time, I still have not seen evidence that you own a Bugatti Veyron, or that such a thing even exists.
I was just providing you with a visual of what a Bugatti Veyron is. Im not claiming anything.
Okay, there's the claim.

"I was just providing you with a visual of what a Bugatti Veyron is".

This is a claim.
Huh? You said that you didn't know what a Bugatti was so that is why I posted the pic for you. Im making no claim. I was just trying to help you out.
You're not helping me out by providing photographs of cars and making claims about them. I'm sorry. If you want me to believe that is a Bugatti Veyron, then you're going to have to provide some evidence for your claim.

User avatar
Nickman
Site Supporter
Posts: 5443
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Idaho
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?

Post #268

Post by Nickman »

Sonofason wrote:
You're not helping me out by providing photographs of cars and making claims about them. I'm sorry. If you want me to believe that is a Bugatti Veyron, then you're going to have to provide some evidence for your claim.
Oh geez, really? So you use critical thinking, and skepticism when someone sends you a pic of a car that you can easily google and verify, yet when it comes to 3000 year old texts written by people you have never met nor ever will, you believe every word they wrote. You have provided a perfect example of your indoctrinated ideas.

User avatar
Sonofason
Banned
Banned
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?

Post #269

Post by Sonofason »

Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
You're not helping me out by providing photographs of cars and making claims about them. I'm sorry. If you want me to believe that is a Bugatti Veyron, then you're going to have to provide some evidence for your claim.
Oh geez, really? So you use critical thinking, and skepticism when someone sends you a pic of a car that you can easily google and verify, yet when it comes to 3000 year old texts written by people you have never met nor ever will, you believe every word they wrote. You have provided a perfect example of your indoctrinated ideas.
Actually, my faith in God comes from personal experience of God. My knowledge of God, I assume has come from what I've learned of God. It seems my knowledge of God has indeed come from the Bible. My experience tells me that a great deal of what was written in the Bible is true. The other areas of the Bible that I do not have evidence to verify as truth, I believe to be truth due to the veracity and truth that I've found in the Bible that I have verified by experience as true. It's rather complicated and hard to explain. But my belief in God is quite reasonable. I'm sorry I can't prove his existence to you.

User avatar
Nickman
Site Supporter
Posts: 5443
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Idaho
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Were the majority of atheists once religious?

Post #270

Post by Nickman »

Sonofason wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Sonofason wrote:
You're not helping me out by providing photographs of cars and making claims about them. I'm sorry. If you want me to believe that is a Bugatti Veyron, then you're going to have to provide some evidence for your claim.
Oh geez, really? So you use critical thinking, and skepticism when someone sends you a pic of a car that you can easily google and verify, yet when it comes to 3000 year old texts written by people you have never met nor ever will, you believe every word they wrote. You have provided a perfect example of your indoctrinated ideas.
Actually, my faith in God comes from personal experience of God. My knowledge of God, I assume has come from what I've learned of God. It seems my knowledge of God has indeed come from the Bible. My experience tells me that a great deal of what was written in the Bible is true. The other areas of the Bible that I do not have evidence to verify as truth, I believe to be truth due to the veracity and truth that I've found in the Bible that I have verified by experience as true. It's rather complicated and hard to explain. But my belief in God is quite reasonable. I'm sorry I can't prove his existence to you.
According to your last post, this is false. You asked for evidence that the pic I gave was a Bugatti, which you can verify very easily on google, yet when it comes to the bible you have repeatedly shown that no matter what, the bible is correct. Your actions show a lapse in logic and rationality.

Post Reply