A Good God would not send a decent Atheist to hell.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marketandchurch
Scholar

A Good God would not send a decent Atheist to hell.

Post #1

Post by marketandchurch »

This was the post that got me banned on Christian Chat:
Then God doesn't care about the goodness and decency of an atheist, a buddhist, etc. And if that is the message you are telling me, then there is no point to being a good person. There is no point of fighting on behalf of the oppressed, as America did, in WWII. The only purpose of fighting the Japanese, and beating back the Nazi's should have been so that we could bring more people to christ...is that what your saying? Should America be sending food and aid to heathens in Haiti? Should America be helping out muslims in disaster relief fallowing a natural disaster, unless it is to bring them to Christ? Is a person's only value to you, there potential to become a convert? They have no humanity beyond that?

You have an old testament my_adonai, and you are to be as obsessed with its obsessions, as you are with the new testament's. And the Old Testament's preoccupation is fighting evil, championing the good, and making a more ethical existence, during this lifetime.

And unless you think Christians alone can make this lifetime a little better, a little less genocidal, with a little less starvation, a little less torture, etc, it is an unethical message to peddle, that a good God would demand goodness, unless one doesn't believe in his son. Then one's goodness is pointless. One might as well not care about not gossiping behind other people's back, destroying someone's dignity in public, sleeping with a coworker's wife, extorting an elderly couple that one was hired to help, raping a pre-pubcescent child, killing another human being because of their skin color, etc, etc, etc.

Apparently, I was challenging people's faith, and was just there to be anti-christian, in saying that a Good God would not send to hell decent people, simply because they do not believe in his Son. I got all sorts of less then appetizing replies, saying I'm screwed for eternity, if I don't accept Jesus. I feel that I am not alone, even within the Christian community, in thinking this as I've heard many catholic priests, and mainstream protestant pastors, while I was growing up, distancing themselves from such a belief. I don't know where people on this forum stand, but I'll put it up for debate:

• Topic of Debate: A Good God would not send to hell a decent person, simply for not believing in his son.

If you agree with me, and are a Christian, please square your response with the rest of the New Testament. What I'm looking for is scriptural consistency to back up your position, and more importantly, how one will then re-read the entire message of the New Testament, if one wants to hold that position. I say this because I don't want you to drop scripture, simply because it doesn't conform to your own personal beliefs, but I am looking for how one can reinterpret the New testament, if one drops that central tenant, & for the rest of us, impediment, to everlasting life. Is there room for this? Or is the New Testament rigidly in the affirmative about Christ being the only way to heaven? Which is fine. That's their theology, but let's see where this goes.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #631

Post by ttruscott »

JohnA wrote: [Replying to post 602 by ttruscott]

Interesting. So, you reckon that this god did not create humans. Lol. All reverence in the bible about him creating Adam and Eve are wrong then. Well you have to accept that to explain human free will by an all knowing god.
I cannot answer -this supposed statement of what I believe is so far from all reality that I am stymied as to a reply.

I see a lol but I feel something deeper...

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

JohnA
Banned
Banned

Post #632

Post by JohnA »

Nickman wrote:
JohnA wrote:

So, this deity put things in motion and knows exactly how it will play out.
That to me sounds like a person tensing a string and letting it go, and predicted exactly how it will vibrate. Therefore the string can not vibrate any other way, only as predicted.
Predictions do not hender free will. Can you explain how my ability to predict something deters someones free will? Ultimately everyone will make a decision. Once that decision has been made there is no going back. What is done is done. Omniscience is the concept that an entity can know what those decisions will be. This knowledge in no way hinders the decision maker from making their decision. I would like to know how this knowledge of events hinders free will?
Now substitute:
person with deity
tensing a string and letting it go with creation of humans
vibrate with behave (free will)
prediction with knowledge
When you let go of the string, it will do what it is going to do based on physics. Knowing what it will do does not hinder this. The only hinderance in this scenario is physics, which you could use to determine what the string will do.
That to me sounds like this deity created humans, and know exactly how humans will behave. Therefore humans can not behave any other way, only as this deity knows/predicted.

According to that, humans have no free-will.
"Sounds like" is not evidence for anything.

Again, knowing what will happen as if it has already happened (omniscience) doesn't hinder a person's ability to choose. The reason this entity even knows what you will do is because you already made a decision in the mind of the omniscient one. Can you make a different decision? No, because you already made the decision. Every person will ultimately make a decision that cannot be changed. Regardless if I look at it before it happens or after it happens. I will make some choices tonight at work which are inevitable, they will happen, and in a specific way. In the future, I can look back and see the decisions I made and why. If I am able to look back into the past and know everything about the circumstances in my life, did I just negate my own free will? Could I make a different decision now that will affect my choices back then?
So if an entity has the ability to see the past, present, and future all at the same time, this entity is not hindering free will. The entity is only observing via omniscience.
If the deity knows what I will have for lunch tomorrow, then it means I can not have anything else, I have no other choice amongst the options - I have no-free-will. Foreknowledge of the future inhibits free-will because it hinders it, it fixes (it can not be anything else). The only way around this is if the deity employes omnipotence and decides not to know. But that signals reduced omniscience, which is not full omniscience. And I can not apologize again if you still do not understand this. I can not explain it any better.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #633

Post by Nickman »

JohnA wrote:
Where did he find time to create anything when he is where there is not time?
As stated before (and S Hawking has a long video on this if you want to see it), is you have no time then you can not action anything, you need time to go from state A to state B, so a timeless god could not have created the universe since he had to time to create it.
How can this timeless deity know what is happening a universe that has time - how do you explain the timeless to time link? Again, a timeless deity can not be the creator. Not can this timeless deity 'look back' into future, or the past in a universe with time.
The same goes for creation, how can this deity exist inside/outside nothing before it created the universe? Besides this,
This is going even further off topic, so I will not address timelessness or eternity concepts.

]

If the deity knows what I will have for lunch tomorrow, then it means I can not have anything else, I have no-free-will.
You chose what to have for lunch. Just because a deity knows what you will choose doesn't negate that this was your choice.

Foreknowledge of the future inhibits free-will because it hinders it, it fixes (it can not be anything else).
You keep saying this but have not shown how knowledge of something inhibits free will. Just because I know what you will eat tomorrow doesn't mean you didn't have a choice in the matter. The fact that you can make a choice is why I can see what it will be. If you cannot make a choice then I cannot know what you will choose for lunch.
The only way around this is if the deity employes omnipotent and decides not to know. But that signals reduced omniscience, which is not full omniscience. And I can not apologize again if you still do not understand this. I can not explain it any better.
You are not explaining anything. You are asserting that knowledge of something hinders free will without explaining how.

JohnA
Banned
Banned

Post #634

Post by JohnA »

ttruscott wrote:

Interesting. So, you reckon that this god did not create humans. Lol. All reverence in the bible about him creating Adam and Eve are wrong then. Well you have to accept that to explain human free will by an all knowing god.
I cannot answer -this supposed statement of what I believe is so far from all reality that I am stymied as to a reply.

Peace, Ted
If your god only know all of his works, then your god's works does not include creation of humans since he does not know their future choices/ decisions and therefore your god did not create humans.

JohnA
Banned
Banned

Post #635

Post by JohnA »

Nickman wrote:
JohnA wrote:
Where did he find time to create anything when he is where there is not time?
As stated before (and S Hawking has a long video on this if you want to see it), is you have no time then you can not action anything, you need time to go from state A to state B, so a timeless god could not have created the universe since he had to time to create it.
How can this timeless deity know what is happening a universe that has time - how do you explain the timeless to time link? Again, a timeless deity can not be the creator. Not can this timeless deity 'look back' into future, or the past in a universe with time.
The same goes for creation, how can this deity exist inside/outside nothing before it created the universe? Besides this,
This is going even further off topic, so I will not address timelessness or eternity concepts.

]

If the deity knows what I will have for lunch tomorrow, then it means I can not have anything else, I have no-free-will.
You chose what to have for lunch. Just because a deity knows what you will choose doesn't negate that this was your choice.

Foreknowledge of the future inhibits free-will because it hinders it, it fixes (it can not be anything else).
You keep saying this but have not shown how knowledge of something inhibits free will. Just because I know what you will eat tomorrow doesn't mean you didn't have a choice in the matter. The fact that you can make a choice is why I can see what it will be. If you cannot make a choice then I cannot know what you will choose for lunch.
The only way around this is if the deity employes omnipotent and decides not to know. But that signals reduced omniscience, which is not full omniscience. And I can not apologize again if you still do not understand this. I can not explain it any better.
You are not explaining anything. You are asserting that knowledge of something hinders free will without explaining how.
And you do not have to. I simply answered your question that you asked and explained why your fictional timeless deity can not be the creator of everything from nothing.

He did not pull the strings, yes. But he knew what I will decide, so, I could not decide anything else. My decision was fixed (known to the deity, but not known to me but I could not have chosen anything else - so it was fixed for me, it is just that I did not know it).
You keep saying this but have not shown how knowledge of something inhibits free will.
If a being knows the future, then the future is fixed. It is that simple.
Just because I know what you will eat tomorrow doesn't mean you didn't have a choice in the matter.
Only if I could pick a choice other than what you knew.
If you know what I will have, every-time, then how am I in control of my own decisions? Can you answer this?

If you cannot make a choice then I cannot know what you will choose for lunch.
Not making a decision is also a decision (picking one of the options).

That is a baseless assertion. I have explained it, given multiple examples. Are you denying the fact that I have given you examples, or the fact that you do not understand it?
Last edited by JohnA on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #636

Post by Danmark »

ttruscott wrote:

Peace, Ted
I'm with you there Ted. The 'English' construction of the post alone is enough to confuse. As is typical with his posts, it's hard to tell where the fractured language leaves off and the faulty logic begins. :D

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #637

Post by Nickman »

JohnA wrote:

And you do not have to. I simply answered your question that you asked and explained why your fictional timeless deity can not be the creator of everything from nothing.
Which is a whole other topic that has nothing to do with omniscience.

He did not pull the strings, yes. But he knew what I will decide, so, I could not decide anything else. My decision was fixed.
You cannot decide anything else, because you already made your decision. The omniscient one just knew what you would decide. The choice was yours.

It is only fixed when looking into the past. If the omniscient one has the ability to see past, present and future at the same time, then your decisions were yours. They are now fixed because you already made your decision without any coercion whatsoever. To the omniscient one, it has already happened, but this does not hinder your ability to choose, because you already chose. Its that simple.
If you know what I will have, every-time, then how am I in control of my own decisions? Can you answer this?
You could have chosen differently, but you decided to have turkey on rye bread, and I saw you make your choice before it happened.

Hence, a decision was made. Free will is unhindered.

That is a baseless assertion. I have explained it, given multiple examples. Are you denying the fact that I have given you examples, or the fact that you do not understand it?
You have rehashed your same blanket statement over and over. I ask how knowledge of something hinders free will, and you say "because it does."

keithprosser3

Post #638

Post by keithprosser3 »

I think JohnA has a point. Suppose God writes down 'Steak and Fries' on a piece of paper, seals it in an envelope and sends it to Nickman with the message that it contains what he will choose for lunch.

Now does Nickman really have a choice what to choose? He might feel he can choose anything he likes, but in fact he can only choose steak and fries, on the condition that god really did know. If Nickman chooses,say, Pork and beans then it proves god does not know, but we are assuming that god does know so Nickman can't choose anything except S+F.

Of course it's silly, because there is no God to know what Nickman will choose for lunch so the problem is all a bit academic. It shows that an omnipotent god is incompatible with free-will, but so what as there is no god?

JohnA
Banned
Banned

Post #639

Post by JohnA »

Nickman wrote:
JohnA wrote:

He did not pull the strings, yes. But he knew what I will decide, so, I could not decide anything else. My decision was fixed.
You cannot decide anything else, because you already made your decision. The omniscient one just knew what you would decide. The choice was yours.

It is only fixed when looking into the past. If the omniscient one has the ability to see past, present and future at the same time, then your decisions were yours. They are now fixed because you already made your decision without any coercion whatsoever. To the omniscient one, it has already happened, but this does not hinder your ability to choose, because you already chose. Its that simple.
You could have chosen differently, but you decided to have turkey on rye bread, and I saw you make your choice before it happened.

You have rehashed your same blanket statement over and over. I ask how knowledge of something hinders free will, and you say "because it does."
It has to do with this omniscience topic. Remember, you asked me the question, not the other way around. And it has to do with your asserting that this deity is not bound by time (you are using this to explain omniscience, remember). So, if this deity has not created it all, how can it know it all? How can it know some other deity's plan? At least you would have to agree that this deity can not be a maximally great being, which renders your timeless claim irrelevant and probably his omniscience as well.
You cannot decide anything else, because you already made your decision.
Correct, that is AFTER I decided.
The omniscient one just knew what you would decide. The choice was yours.
I had choices BEFORE I decided. The question is, could I have decided on anything else that what the deity already knew I would decide on? I do not think so, so I did not have a choice in deciding. If I decided on something else that the deity did not know I would go for, then the deity has either faulty foreknowledge, or no foreknowledge.

If the omniscient one has the ability to see past, present and future at the same time, then your decisions were yours.
But I just explained to you that this deity can not be timeless.
They are now fixed because you already made your decision without any coercion whatsoever. To the omniscient one, it has already happened, but this does not hinder your ability to choose, because you already chose. Its that simple.
I am not talking about the past. I am talking about the future.
I am not saying the deity is interacting with me, pulling the strings. I am saying that if he knows what my future action will be, then it can not be any other way.
Prophecy: This deity says that the world would end in 7 days. Surely, it does not matter what I do, it will end in 7 days! In actual fact, if this deity planned on ending the world by me launching the nuclear bomb then I have no choice, it will happen, I will launch it. How can you not understand this is really beyond me.

You could have chosen differently, but you decided to have turkey on rye bread, and I saw you make your choice before it happened
Let's forget about this timeless issue that you can not resolve for now.
If I chose differently, then you were wrong about your prediction. So, I could not have chosen differently.

That does not address your previous quote on this when you said I can not make a decision:
If you cannot make a choice then I cannot know what you will choose for lunch.
So, you were mistaken when you wrote:
You are not explaining anything.
OK, then.
I ask how knowledge of something hinders free will, and you say "because it does."
I'll give you $1,000 if you can reference where I said this. Deal? Or you could retract your straw man.

I said, if a being has knowledge of the future, then it fixes the future because the future can not be anything different than what this being already knows.
Omniscience is like looking back into the past.
But previously you claimed that this timeless deity sees the past, present, and future at the same time? That is a contradiction - 3 ways.
Knowledge of something doesn't hinder your ability to choose.
Correct, but foreknowledge does.
Why would foreknowledge of something not hinder your ability to choose?
I said, if a being has knowledge of the future, then it fixes the future because the future can not be anything different than what this being already knows.
Last edited by JohnA on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #640

Post by Danmark »

keithprosser3 wrote: I think JohnA has a point. Suppose God writes down 'Steak and Fries' on a piece of paper, seals it in an envelope and sends it to Nickman with the message that it contains what he will choose for lunch.

Now does Nickman really have a choice what to choose? He might feel he can choose anything he likes, but in fact he can only choose steak and fries, on the condition that god really did know. If Nickman chooses,say, Pork and beans then it proves god does not know, but we are assuming that god does know so Nickman can't choose anything except S+F.

Of course it's silly, because there is no God to know what Nickman will choose for lunch so the problem is all a bit academic. It shows that an omnipotent god is incompatible with free-will, but so what as there is no god?
This is correct, it's silly because there is no God and the whole argument rests upon an impossible abstraction. These are insoluble arguments that have been bantered back and forth for Centuries. Nevertheless, Nick puts the counter argument well:

_ Nickman