Would an Omnipotent being have a Need/Want to do ANYTHING?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

instantc
Guru

Post #101

Post by instantc »

Boosh wrote:
instantc wrote: Goat originally suggested that there would be a contradiction between free will and God's omniscience, but now you seem to be suggesting that what excludes free will is not God's knowledge but the fact that he created us.

You seem to accept that time travelling doesn't exclude free will. Consequently, the fact that a person knows the outcome of your future choice for certainty doesn't exclude the freedom of that choice. In other words, an omniscient person could coexist with free will.

For clarification, are you saying that if person A created person B, then the choices of person B are not freely made, or is that the case only if person A created person B and had complete knowledge of his future actions?
What I read in Goat's post was that because God is omniscient and created you free will is impossible. That's one of the first things he said when I was quoted. My position has always been that God as the omniscient creator contradicts free will. I don't remember ever stating different. Maybe it came out that way at some point but it was never my intent.

An omniscient person could coexist with free will. If God is not real then people are not created to follow any unchangeable path. Life is what someone makes of it, not what God planned for them the instant the universe began. You could be omniscient and know what Bob is about to do, but you didn't create him to do it. Whatever choice Bob makes is still his. I think you may have an objection to this line of reasoning, I'll wait and see what you say before expounding on this paragraph.
I find your position quite odd actually. You accept that neither God's omniscience nor his creatorship is problematic as such in terms of free will, but suddenly a combination of the two eliminates free choice.

You suggest that your choices are not yours if everything goes down in accordance with God's plan, but isn't it possible that God planned the future in accordance with your free choices? Consider the time travelling example again. When I come back to present moment knowing what you are going to do the following day, I can plan the whole day in accordance with your choices. Everything will go down as I planned, but they are still your free choices. In that scenario your choices come logically prior to my plan, while my plan precedes your choices in time.

Now, you may object here on grounds that by making you the way you are God determined all your choices for you. But, that's not an argument against free will, as it already presupposes that there is no such thing as free will. If the way you are necessarily determines your future choices, then free will cannot exist in any scenario.

My best guess is that you reject free will for the same logical reasons that I do, but it only becomes apparent to you when you think of scenarios like God creating us, and consequently you make a false connection between the lack of free will and God's knowledge/creatorship.

Boosh
Student

Post #102

Post by Boosh »

instantc wrote: I find your position quite odd actually. You accept that neither God's omniscience nor his creatorship is problematic as such in terms of free will, but suddenly a combination of the two eliminates free choice.
Yep. If we adopt a non omniscient creator concept, he created people not knowing what they would do and thus had no destiny plan for them. Poof free will. If we adopt a non creator but omniscient God, he's basically like the time traveler who knows what people will do but isn't responsible for their decisions. Yay free will. Combing the two brings free will down.
instantc wrote: You suggest that your choices are not yours if everything goes down in accordance with God's plan, but isn't it possible that God planned the future in accordance with your free choices? Consider the time travelling example again. When I come back to present moment knowing what you are going to do the following day, I can plan the whole day in accordance with your choices. Everything will go down as I planned, but they are still your free choices. In that scenario your choices come logically prior to my plan, while my plan precedes your choices in time.
The idea that God planned the future in accordance with anyone's choices but his own kind of cuts into the whole "all powerful" schtick don't you think? If you plan the day around someone's choices aren't your decisions are actually dependent on what they do? Doesn't that kind of imply deference to them? It seems like with God it should be the other way around, where people are acting in deference to what he wants, in other words his will or his plan.
instantc wrote: Now, you may object here on grounds that by making you the way you are God determined all your choices for you. But, that's not an argument against free will, as it already presupposes that there is no such thing as free will. If the way you are necessarily determines your future choices, then free will cannot exist in any scenario.
You may see it as bogus but I would have to make a distinction between existing in a universe with an omni-omni God vs existing in one without a God. The one without God does not imply design or any intrinsic purpose. So, my position may be represented as an if-then statement. IF an omnipotent-omniscient creator God exists, THEN there is no free will.
instantc wrote: My best guess is that you reject free will for the same logical reasons that I do, but it only becomes apparent to you when you think of scenarios like God creating us, and consequently you make a false connection between the lack of free will and God's knowledge/creatorship.
I don't necessarily want to go into the concept of free will itself too much because I think that discussion starts to go beyond the scope of the God talk. You mentioned free will as being incoherent to begin with, and I said it would be a good case to make but that I wanted to suppose free will did exist. I'm assuming free will as a default position so I can attack arguments that use free will with omni-omni God. If people can mash free will into an omni-omni God concept they can get away with a lot of things. If I maintain determinism is the outcome either way there's nothing to really work with. I can't play devil's advocate if I just agree with everyone. I hope that made some sense :lol:

instantc
Guru

Post #103

Post by instantc »

Boosh wrote:
instantc wrote: You suggest that your choices are not yours if everything goes down in accordance with God's plan, but isn't it possible that God planned the future in accordance with your free choices? Consider the time travelling example again. When I come back to present moment knowing what you are going to do the following day, I can plan the whole day in accordance with your choices. Everything will go down as I planned, but they are still your free choices. In that scenario your choices come logically prior to my plan, while my plan precedes your choices in time.
The idea that God planned the future in accordance with anyone's choices but his own kind of cuts into the whole "all powerful" schtick don't you think? If you plan the day around someone's choices aren't your decisions are actually dependent on what they do?
That's the whole point of Christianity. According to the doctrine, God created us as free creatures allowing for whatever we choose to do with our time and planning accordingly.

Boosh wrote:Doesn't that kind of imply deference to them?
That's how the story goes.
Boosh wrote:It seems like with God it should be the other way around, where people are acting in deference to what he wants, in other words his will or his plan.
This is probably why you find theism and free will incompatible, it seems that you have misunderstood the God-story. As I said, our choices come logically prior to God's plan and knowledge. That leaves room for free will, if there is such thing.

nayrbsnilloc
Scholar

Post #104

Post by nayrbsnilloc »

[Replying to instantc]

That's not quite "how the story goes." There are various examples of biblical scripture showing god's decisions as supreme and coming before human choice.
Such as god's plan:
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,� declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
OR
when he made pharaoh's decisions for him by "hardening his heart":
Exodus 9:12
But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart and he would not listen to Moses and Aaron, just as the LORD had said to Moses

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #105

Post by dianaiad »

Boosh wrote:

......snip to here....The idea that God planned the future in accordance with anyone's choices but his own kind of cuts into the whole "all powerful" schtick don't you think? If you plan the day around someone's choices aren't your decisions are actually dependent on what they do? Doesn't that kind of imply deference to them?
Yes, as it would have to be if God has allowed us our free will; He is choosing to defer our choices.

As an omnipotent being, wouldn't He have the power to do that?
Boosh wrote: It seems like with God it should be the other way around, where people are acting in deference to what he wants, in other words his will or his plan.
Well, as an omnipotent being, He would be able to force that, yes. However, as an omnipotent being, He would also have to have the ability to allow people to make their own choices, and to choose what He 'knows' about them.

Just because you can do something, it doesn't mean that you should...or must.

I've never been fond of the 'a good God should make all people good and obedient' idea that some use to criticize the idea of His existence--or His 'goodness.' A friend who must be forced into friendship is not a friend...nor is a thief who refrains from stealing because he has a guard at his side holding a gun on him no longer a thief. Remove the guard and the gun and the thief will be who he is, and steal you blind.

I would prefer a friend who chooses, him or herself, to be my friend. I rather imagine that my Father in Heaven (and I do mean that literally, btw) would rather His children choose freely to be with Him.

nayrbsnilloc
Scholar

Post #106

Post by nayrbsnilloc »

[Replying to post 105 by dianaiad]

except the bible explicitly states that god knows everything, not that he could know everything but limits his knowledge by self-imposed restrictions.

Also, the entire concept of free will is an illusion that fades when examined closely.

instantc
Guru

Post #107

Post by instantc »

nayrbsnilloc wrote: [Replying to instantc]

That's not quite "how the story goes." There are various examples of biblical scripture showing god's decisions as supreme and coming before human choice.
Such as god's plan:
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,� declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
OR
when he made pharaoh's decisions for him by "hardening his heart":
Exodus 9:12
But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart and he would not listen to Moses and Aaron, just as the LORD had said to Moses
Since when has Christianity had anything to do with the literal reading of the Bible? I'm simply explaining how mainstream scholars interpret God's plan and knowledge as being compatible with free will. If God created us as free creatures and made his plans in accordance with our future choices, then free will fits into that scenario as well as it fits into any scenario.

nayrbsnilloc
Scholar

Post #108

Post by nayrbsnilloc »

[Replying to post 107 by instantc]

Be that as it may, many other "mainstream" scholars would disagree as well. The accepted doctrine of most respected theologians is some form of predestination taking precedence over free will.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #109

Post by Danmark »

nayrbsnilloc wrote: [Replying to post 105 by dianaiad]

except the bible explicitly states that god knows everything, not that he could know everything but limits his knowledge by self-imposed restrictions.

Also, the entire concept of free will is an illusion that fades when examined closely.
The out come of free will vs determinism debate has not been decided. It remains a complex issue. Here's one example of the discussion:
http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/cour ... x?cid=4235

instantc
Guru

Post #110

Post by instantc »

nayrbsnilloc wrote: [Replying to post 107 by instantc]

Be that as it may, many other "mainstream" scholars would disagree as well. The accepted doctrine of most respected theologians is some form of predestination taking precedence over free will.
I have never heard of a serious theologian who rejects free will, but perhaps they do exist. In any case, someone put forward an argument that God's omniscience/creatorship precludes free will, and I simply pointed out that it's not necessarily so.