Islam and child brides

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Goat
Site Supporter

Islam and child brides

Post #1

Post by Goat »

A large number of Islamic countries have the tradition of having child brides. The continued use of child brides is justified using the story in the Quran of Momahmmad marrying Aeyshea when she was 6.

In Yemen, an 8 year old child bride died of sexual trauma
http://www.albawaba.com/editorchoice/ye ... hts-519066

Every year, there are over 50 million girls under the age of 15 that are forced to marry.

In 2007, it was made illegal to marry under the age of 17 in Yemen, but the conservative lawmakers got that law overturned, because it was 'un-Islamic.'

THis child died as a result.

Why do so many (not all) of Islamic countries cling to the idea of marrying girls off much to young for their health. A girl under the age of 15 that gets pregnant and has a child has many health issues for herself, and the child quite often has health issues too.

Why do they think that is Mohammed did it, it's still justified in this age and time?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Finn the human
Student

Post #21

Post by Finn the human »

goodwithoutgod wrote:
junaidbasha wrote: With regard to the issue being young and your being confused about that, you should note that the arabs grew up in a hot country, the Arabian Peninsula. Usually in hot countries adolescence comes early and people marry early. This is how the people of Arabia were until recently. Moreover, women vary greatly in their development and their physical readiness for marriage.
no 6 yo or 9yo is physically mature enough for sex....never, ever, ever. To justify this mentality via a book written by ignorant uneducated barbaric goat herders does not give it validity. For you to even posit this just validates my point...that islam embraces child rape. Thanks for making my point.

whoa ignorant uneducated barbaric goat herders, that's a bit mean I think they had camels.

But in seriousness in those times everyone had child brides, Looky here ---->http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08504a.htm

Joseph was ninety and Mary was 12-14. If you do a quick search n Google about the age of consent/marriage in the past 200 years you would be shocked. Calling Mohammed a paedophile is quite new. Since it was the norm, not just for the sand people but for the west too. They use to discredit him at the time by saying how he could marry his adopted son ex wife. How times have changed ;)

Also you should not be too hard about the funny blurbs, if i think your a Christian? Exodus 21:7-11 stranger stuff are found in anything old and out of date.

If your an atheist i appologise, for assuming.

goodwithoutgod
Scholar

Post #22

Post by goodwithoutgod »

Finn the human wrote:
goodwithoutgod wrote:
junaidbasha wrote: With regard to the issue being young and your being confused about that, you should note that the arabs grew up in a hot country, the Arabian Peninsula. Usually in hot countries adolescence comes early and people marry early. This is how the people of Arabia were until recently. Moreover, women vary greatly in their development and their physical readiness for marriage.
no 6 yo or 9yo is physically mature enough for sex....never, ever, ever. To justify this mentality via a book written by ignorant uneducated barbaric goat herders does not give it validity. For you to even posit this just validates my point...that islam embraces child rape. Thanks for making my point.

whoa ignorant uneducated barbaric goat herders, that's a bit mean I think they had camels.

But in seriousness in those times everyone had child brides, Looky here ---->http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08504a.htm

Joseph was ninety and Mary was 12-14. If you do a quick search n Google about the age of consent/marriage in the past 200 years you would be shocked. Calling Mohammed a paedophile is quite new. Since it was the norm, not just for the sand people but for the west too. They use to discredit him at the time by saying how he could marry his adopted son ex wife. How times have changed ;)

Also you should not be too hard about the funny blurbs, if i think your a Christian? Exodus 21:7-11 stranger stuff are found in anything old and out of date.

If your an atheist i appologise, for assuming.
:blink:

screen name is goodwithoutgod, under it says atheist :confused2:

While I think all man made up religions are self created emotional crutches for those incapable of dealing with life, some are more insane than others. You dont see Buddhists taking over planes and slamming them into buildings full of people at work, or strapping bombs onto children, stoning women in 2013 etc...now I used to say "you cant blame the religion for a handful of radicals"...but with Islam, that isnt the case....and the more i researched and the more time I spent in Iraq, the more I saw how they devoutly believe their quran, and all of the crazy culture that goes with it.

Dalia Mogahed and John Esposito co-authored the book "Who Speaks for Islam" which grew out of a 2008 survey conducted by the Gallup polling agency, which was intended to answer this very question.

Unfortunately, the controversy-riddled Dalia Mogahed and John Esposito are both Islam apologists, so there is little surprise that they had to "cook the books" in order to create the desired results.

The authors claim only 7 percent of the world's Muslims are "political radicals". Yet in order to reach this figure, they were forced to term Muslims who think 9/11 was "partially" or "some way justified", who want to impose Shari'ah law, who support suicide bombings, and who oppose equal rights for women, as "moderate" followers of Islam.
-----------------------------------------------
So from their own scholars, over 7%, 7% of 1.6 billion is a lot of radical thinking muslims, and guess what is the fastest growing religion in America? Islam. When you factor in the numbers of those they classified as moderate, but in actuality should have been classified as radical thinkers, it is over 30%.
----------------------------------------------
According to the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, the World Christian Database as of 2007 Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world.

More than 95 percent of all suicide bombing attacks conducted worldwide are carried out by Muslim extremists

Ref: Amir Lechner - “Changing Tack� The Ever-Changing Profile of the Suicide Bomber

we can not afford to look the other way on this growing menace....religion or especially the Islam brand.

Finn the human
Student

Post #23

Post by Finn the human »

[Replying to post 22 by goodwithoutgod]

Ah Budisst are not always peaceful :) Just watch a Penn and Teller episode of Bullshit on Diali lama (not sure if i sept that right)
Check on Burma there are radical Buddhist groups who do ethnic cleansing.

Just recently a bomb went off in Russia. The news call it muslim terrorism but the normal Chech terrorist group says it nationalism nothing to do with religion :)

Everything you see and hear is controlled. If you just see the surface you will get the wrong picture. The media reports what seems the most attention grabbing.

If you really believe that 7% of the Muslim population are radicals you would be over run with nut jobs and we would be living in the fallout 3 era. If we are going by the number of Muslims in the US there should be 182000 terrorists. Call me stupid I think that number is a bit too big.

There a more suicide bombs happening in muslim countries compared to anywhere else. It just the more stable a country is the less likely idiots get into power.

Christianity is the same as Islam or anything else. It all depends on country stability.

Here is an example Bangladesh, majority Muslim with Hinduism being second and Christian & Buddhism being last. Its a f**ked up democratic country with stupid politician but its stable enough with no foreign interference and there has not been any attacks on the other faiths. It's a Muslim country with a women as it prime minister.

All religions are messed up a bit compared to today standards. What we think today will be out dated in 200 years.
You just need to remember everyone are di*ks, Atheist included
:lol:

jamesyaqub
Student

Re: Islam and child brides

Post #24

Post by jamesyaqub »

Goat wrote: A large number of Islamic countries have the tradition of having child brides. The continued use of child brides is justified using the story in the Quran of Momahmmad marrying Aeyshea when she was 6.

In Yemen, an 8 year old child bride died of sexual trauma
http://www.albawaba.com/editorchoice/ye ... hts-519066

Every year, there are over 50 million girls under the age of 15 that are forced to marry.

In 2007, it was made illegal to marry under the age of 17 in Yemen, but the conservative lawmakers got that law overturned, because it was 'un-Islamic.'

THis child died as a result.

Why do so many (not all) of Islamic countries cling to the idea of marrying girls off much to young for their health. A girl under the age of 15 that gets pregnant and has a child has many health issues for herself, and the child quite often has health issues too.

Why do they think that is Mohammed did it, it's still justified in this age and time?

The old world tradition of marrying very young children (not just old men marrying girls it was the other way 'round too) is nothing to do with sex. In tribal societies alliances cemented through intermarrying were essential to survival (prevention of war). Marriage was equal to a peace treaty. It was not about a bunch of horny old men lusting over "fresh meat" as it is so crudely put sometimes. Today there is little reason for such things. Most of the world has moved beyond those old times. Not all though. And it must be remembered that the signal for the beginning of a sexual life was menstruation. Some girls begin this quite early. Sure harm is done. Yes it must be abolished. I do not excuse the practice but seek to explain it only. I use blunt terms with good reason. Too many men of women of today think SEX in everything they read or hear.

Pazuzu bin Hanbi
Sage

Post #25

Post by Pazuzu bin Hanbi »

The point about Muhammad is that he is constantly touted as an ‘eternal example for all mankind’. If he simply indulged in the customs of his day, like marrying a 6 year old and having sex with her when she turned 9, then he is simply of his time and NOT an example for future generations to come.
لا إلـــــــــــــــــــــــــــه

bluethread
Savant

Post #26

Post by bluethread »

Finn the human wrote:
I'm not sure how this relates to the topic. It does make provision for slavery, but atheists are not noted for opposing slavery any more than the theists. In fact, the abolitionist movement came out of Christianity. I'd also like to know where you get that Yosef was 90 and Miryam was 12-14.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by Ooberman »

bluethread wrote: In fact, the abolitionist movement came out of Christianity.
Yes, in exactly the same way Catholicism is responsible for Protestantism. Atheists have come out of Christianity. Christianity came from Judaism.

Trust a Christian to claim it caused the Abolitionist movement - 2000 years later, with nothing in the Bible saying one word against slavery.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

bluethread
Savant

Post #28

Post by bluethread »

Ooberman wrote:
bluethread wrote: In fact, the abolitionist movement came out of Christianity.
Yes, in exactly the same way Catholicism is responsible for Protestantism. Atheists have come out of Christianity. Christianity came from Judaism.

Trust a Christian to claim it caused the Abolitionist movement - 2000 years later, with nothing in the Bible saying one word against slavery.
Leave it to an atheist to find fault with theists for not opposing slavery, when there were theists that did. It is the assertion of atheists that atheism only means that one does not believe in a deity. How is it that atheists can profess a world view that does not outright oppose slavery? As theists were opposing slavery, it is early anthropology, not theism, that introduced polygenist theory, a progenitor to modern racism. It is that racism and involuntary lifelong servitude, with no legal obligations and no possibility of freedom, that made modern slavery the most objectionable form possible. HaTorah is monogenist, provides a means to freedom and, to get back to the OP, does not support the concept of child brides. By the way, atheism does not outright oppose child brides.

help3434
Guru

Post #29

Post by help3434 »

bluethread wrote: By the way, atheism does not outright oppose child brides.
Meaningless statement. That is like saying heliocentrism or mechanical engineering doesn't outright oppose child brides. The definition of atheism and heliocentrism and mechanical engineering has nothing to do with child brides.

help3434
Guru

Post #30

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 28 by bluethread]

Since atheism just means not believing in God or Gods then atheists have a world view that is more than just "atheism". And I would think that the world view of most is opposed to slavery. Attacking the bare bones characteristic of atheism as not being inherently against slavery is like attacking the color blue for not being inherently against slavery.