Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Haven
Guru

Does Jesus Cause Evil?

Post #1

Post by Haven »

On another thread, a Christian said:
[color=darkorange]99percentatheism[/color] wrote:. . . Jesus makes it clear that He is in total control of the Universe.
If Jesus is in total control of the universe, then he is also in total control of every grisly murder, brutal rape, life-destroying terrorist attack, and pestilential genocide. He causes every natural disaster, every agonizing illness, every killer pandemic, every child's death from cancer, every elderly person's suffering from Alzheimer's disease. He personally abuses every victimized child, tortures every innocent victim, and declares every miscarriage of justice.

If Jesus is in "total control of everything," then it logically follows that he is obviously the most abhorrent entity ever to exist.

Debate question: Is Jesus in "total control of the universe?" Does Jesus cause (what most would consider) evil? If he does cause evil, wouldn't that make him abhorrent? Why worship such a god?
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

Korah
Under Suspension

Re: Does Jesus Cause Evil?

Post #21

Post by Korah »

bluethread wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: .
[strike]bluethread[/strike] Ooberman wrote: It really doesn't matter - it's all made up anyhow.
Where did I post that? I think this is the first time I have posted on this thread.
That's really from Ooberman in Post #9, misattributed by Z to you (Bluethread) in Z's Post #11.
Quotes can be really tricky on this website, particularly if one tries to post on a post that already is defective.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Does Jesus Cause Evil?

Post #22

Post by Zzyzx »

Korah wrote:
bluethread wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:
[strike]bluethread[/strike] Ooberman wrote: It really doesn't matter - it's all made up anyhow.
Where did I post that? I think this is the first time I have posted on this thread.
That's really from Ooberman in Post #9, misattributed by Z to you (Bluethread) in Z's Post #11.
Quotes can be really tricky on this website, particularly if one tries to post on a post that already is defective.
Apologies to all if (that) I contributed to misunderstanding and/or misplaced quote.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Longhorns87

Does Jesus cause evil?

Post #23

Post by Longhorns87 »

First of all, a proper response does require a few things be cleared up (which by existing responses I am sure some would be happy to avoid). Personally I can't remember when the word 'cause' became the same word as "allow"???(I hope you can hear the bleeding sarcasm in every word of that sentence...) Cause: "a person, thing, event, state, or action that produces an effect". Allow: "to permit something to happen". Keep that in mind as you read....

The second thing that must be stated is my whole hearted agreement with the statement (minus an error which you will notice). Absolutely God (not Jesus exactly; they are different personages within the same deity (the trinity is a different debate)) does cause evil! The scripture is God-breathed and I believe it in its entirety and when it says "I am Jehovah...""...forming the light and creating darkness, making peace and creating evil: I, Jehovah, do all these things" Isaiah 45:5;7, it means exactly that.

My third point, though, is where I must differ from much of what has been stated already and that is WHY and IF this is a contradiction. I will explain in a few different ways. Look at Job as an example (if one is willing to not take one scripture out of context). The book of Job and the life of Job are a perfect explanation of why I can agree with the statement but not the initiator's intent behind the statement. God, in fact, if you read the book, is the one who initiates the whole sequence of events from Chapter 1 to the end when he says "Hast thou considered my servant Job" to Satan. That, by definition, becomes the cause of what we get later on. The next thing however is that God is still in control of his allowing of things. There are countless examples of this in his saying "only upon himself put not forth thy hand""only spare his life" etc. The book of Job however also illustrates some different meanings of evil:namely, ours and God's. Job says "should we not receive evil?" after much of the initial loss of property, family, and health is caused by Satan. But his saying this clearly indicates that to man the loss of these things is evil. But my main point in saying all this and using Job as an example is to show that he is a sample-person in whom we see why God can both cause evil and be a perfect and by-nature good God. Men have many reasons and causes for evil but God only has one: that is the recognition of him in supremacy and the greater faith and glory given to him in result. He uses evil as a means to an end. This does not in any way make him evil because if one was to believe that than one must not have much understanding at all specifically of the laws of causes and effect. Those of us who can think clearly understand that there can not be an infinite number of causes and effects and the first cause in eternity was good thereby making the one to cause it good (possibly this is also another debate). He uses everything in that wonderful book which gives us a window into the life of Job to achieve a good and not evil result. Job can say things like "I know that my redeemer liveth"...according to the initial post, evil from God caused that! He says "I know that thou canst do everything, and that thou canst be hindered in no thought of thine"...apparently "evil" caused that! He says "I had heard of thee by the hearing of the ear, but now mine eye seeth thee:Wherefore I abhor [myself], and repent in dust and ashes"...apparently evil caused that! Then Jehovah blesses the latter end of Job more than his beginning. This is how God can both cause evil and be good...because he is always using it for blessing and for His glory!
There are countless other examples I could elaborate upon but Job alone illustrates my response to the question posed. It seems very straightforward for anyone who knows their Bible well enough to not simply take one verse of the entire thing and base a whole belief system on it. If it was any other book or topic this kind of thing would never stand but people are constantly taking part of one verse or section and making statements without considering the entirety of the Word of God.

Haven
Guru

The Biblical god is a megalomanaical psychopath

Post #24

Post by Haven »

Hi Longhorns87, thanks for responding and welcome to the forum! Thanks for making such well-thought out points. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), I feel that your arguments illustrate perfectly why the Biblical god character is a megalomanaical psychopath, essentially a cosmic genocidal tyrant. Let's examine this:
[color=darkorange]Longhorns87[/color] wrote: First of all, a proper response does require a few things be cleared up (which by existing responses I am sure some would be happy to avoid). Personally I can't remember when the word 'cause' became the same word as "allow"???(I hope you can hear the bleeding sarcasm in every word of that sentence...) Cause: "a person, thing, event, state, or action that produces an effect". Allow: "to permit something to happen". Keep that in mind as you read....
The second thing that must be stated is my whole hearted agreement with the statement (minus an error which you will notice). Absolutely God (not Jesus exactly; they are different personages within the same deity (the trinity is a different debate)) does cause evil! The scripture is God-breathed and I believe it in its entirety and when it says "I am Jehovah...""...forming the light and creating darkness, making peace and creating evil: I, Jehovah, do all these things" Isaiah 45:5;7, it means exactly that.

My third point, though, is where I must differ from much of what has been stated already and that is WHY and IF this is a contradiction. I will explain in a few different ways. Look at Job as an example (if one is willing to not take one scripture out of context). The book of Job and the life of Job are a perfect explanation of why I can agree with the statement but not the initiator's intent behind the statement. God, in fact, if you read the book, is the one who initiates the whole sequence of events from Chapter 1 to the end when he says "Hast thou considered my servant Job" to Satan. That, by definition, becomes the cause of what we get later on. The next thing however is that God is still in control of his allowing of things. There are countless examples of this in his saying "only upon himself put not forth thy hand""only spare his life" etc. The book of Job however also illustrates some different meanings of evil:namely, ours and God's. Job says "should we not receive evil?" after much of the initial loss of property, family, and health is caused by Satan. But his saying this clearly indicates that to man the loss of these things is evil. But my main point in saying all this and using Job as an example is to show that he is a sample-person in whom we see why God can both cause evil and be a perfect and by-nature good God. Men have many reasons and causes for evil but God only has one: that is the recognition of him in supremacy and the greater faith and glory given to him in result. He uses evil as a means to an end. This does not in any way make him evil because if one was to believe that than one must not have much understanding at all specifically of the laws of causes and effect. Those of us who can think clearly understand that there can not be an infinite number of causes and effects and the first cause in eternity was good thereby making the one to cause it good (possibly this is also another debate). He uses everything in that wonderful book which gives us a window into the life of Job to achieve a good and not evil result. Job can say things like "I know that my redeemer liveth"...according to the initial post, evil from God caused that! He says "I know that thou canst do everything, and that thou canst be hindered in no thought of thine"...apparently "evil" caused that! He says "I had heard of thee by the hearing of the ear, but now mine eye seeth thee:Wherefore I abhor [myself], and repent in dust and ashes"...apparently evil caused that! Then Jehovah blesses the latter end of Job more than his beginning. This is how God can both cause evil and be good...because he is always using it for blessing and for His glory!
There are countless other examples I could elaborate upon but Job alone illustrates my response to the question posed. It seems very straightforward for anyone who knows their Bible well enough to not simply take one verse of the entire thing and base a whole belief system on it. If it was any other book or topic this kind of thing would never stand but people are constantly taking part of one verse or section and making statements without considering the entirety of the Word of God.[/quote]
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

Skybringr
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by Skybringr »

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord that do all these things.

It's not like scripture doesn't come right out and say it..

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by ttruscott »

Skybringr wrote: Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord that do all these things.

In commentary about this verse:
http://biblehub.com/isaiah/45-7.htm wrote:Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
45:5-10 There is no God beside Jehovah. There is nothing done without him. He makes peace, put here for all good; and creates evil, not the evil of sin, but the evil of punishment.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
God is the author of, even of all prosperity of every kind, which this word includes: "evil" is also from him; not the evil of sin; this is not to be found among the creatures God made; this is of men,

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
create evil—not moral evil (Jas 1:13), but in contrast to "peace" in the parallel clause, war, disaster

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
(7) I make peace, and create evil . . .—The words have no bearing on the insoluble problem of what we call the origin of evil. “Evil,� as opposed to “peace� or prosperity, is suffering, but not sin;

and more...
Since I find this supported in the leading I accept as from the Holy Spirit as to its meaning, I must reject your connotation as unproven.

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Korah
Under Suspension

Post #27

Post by Korah »

Skybringr wrote: Isaiah 45:7

As always, it's not that simple.
Yes, the King James reading "evil" has been followed by numerous newer versions, the American Standard, the Dartmouth, and even the Septuagint (as a translation of what transliterates what any two-year-old would understand, "kaka"), and some translations even worsen it with "disaster" as in the NIV and NJB (the latter even substituting "Yahweh" for "the Lord". The meaning hopefully more approximates the NAB "woe", as if God gives us trials that we must transcend to make us better. Note that the Septuagint Greek "eirenen" means literally "peace" as the opposite "good" condition, implying that the "evil" is more like "disorder", "upset", or "chaos", that God does will the life not be easy by being so orderly that it lets us stagnate or imposes continuance of dead customs that stultify the young and idealistic.

Yet the whole chapter makes a clear repudiation of Christian Deism. God does order our lives, even in bringing the disorder in them. And this is from Deutero-Isaiah, recognized as the most exalted of the prophets. This is also a repudiation of Gnosticism and Marcionism--no surprise that the OT shoots down any attempt to dispense with the OT!

Skybringr
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by Skybringr »

As always, change whatever you don't want to be true.

That's the going rate for Christianity these days. The Bible tells you right to your face, but jump through some hoops, and just about everything in the Bible can be interpreted in any way.

There's nothing more depressing then when one will say I have no evidence when the Bible tells you straight to your face. Go on a tangent that the spirit tells you otherwise- the spirit wrote the statement that allegedly tells you different?
That's ridiculous.
you either accept your religion or you don't.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #29

Post by ttruscott »

Skybringr wrote: As always, change whatever you don't want to be true.

That's the going rate for Christianity these days. The Bible tells you right to your face, but jump through some hoops, and just about everything in the Bible can be interpreted in any way.

I don't get it, you think the verse was written with the English word 'evil' in it?

Heaping scorn on Christian doctrine should be called 'atheistic preaching' as a mere emotionally driven rant that adds nothing to the debate.

The majority of Bible commentators do not agree with you... <shrug> nothing new.

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Korah
Under Suspension

Post #30

Post by Korah »

[Replying to post 28 by ttruscott]
But Ted,
isn't "kaka" an English word, right out of the Septuagint that any two-year-old would understand?
But I hear you (and agree). To say that the God Christians believe in is necessarily intentionally the bringer of evil for its own sake is to hand the victory to our atheist opponents. Hardly any educated humans are willing to believe in a God that for his own pleasure torments us on this Earth and then extrapolates that to infinity by torturing us in Hell besides. That Primitive-Baptist type of Hyper-Calvinism I have not heard of even on the radio since the 1980's. You still find some of that ilk on the internet--Theology Web had one who called himself Hobbes, but even he was banned about 2008.