Creationist attempts to "destroy evolution in three min

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

HiddenHand
Apprentice

Creationist attempts to "destroy evolution in three min

Post #1

Post by HiddenHand »

There has been a video circulating posted by a guy named Joshua Feuerstein where he attempts to refute evolution in three minutes. Here's the video:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152481739639669

Then, a response was posted by a blogger named Daimonie where a rebuttal is given:

http://daimonie.blogspot.nl/2014/06/jos ... w=flipcard

Now, as I watched the video and then read the rebuttal I realised that creationists almost always seem to underestimate what science actually is and put forth either escape hatch arguments like Ken Ham's "where you there", or end up giving straw man arguments such as "evolution is merely a THEORY".

If you have watched the video and read the rebuttal and you're either an atheist/naturalist/scientist or a creationist, what are your thoughts?

Is there any CONCRETE argument made by creationists/Christians that can not be tackled by science, logic and reason? At this point I am yet to find one. We've all discussed them ad nauseum on this forum such as the argument from morality, the cosmological argument, the ontological argument, etc.

What is there left that really makes a good case for the creationists?

Cheers :)
Last edited by HiddenHand on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Re: Creationist attempts to "destroy evolution in three

Post #2

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 1 by HiddenHand]
What is there left that really makes a good case for the creationists?
The need for their god/belief to be right. Creationist don't give two shakes about evolution past the effect that it detracts view from their god. If they can create something - anything - and place it in a scientific bend and cause doubt, their 'case' of god being real is that much stronger.
From my experience, christians/creationists don't want to persue knowledge past their bible. This means blindly accepting what they're told &/or what they experience as fact when it's learly not.
After all, sheep don't THINK to follow their leader - they just 'do'.
And how many times have we heard christians considered themselves sheep following god?

mwtech
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by mwtech »

I saw the creationists video, but I watched a rebuttal by the amazing atheist instead of the blogger you link to. I had mixed feelings about Josh's video. On the one hand it was so absurd and contained such terrible, ignorant arguments that I didn't take it seriously at all. On the other hand, I couldn't help but be infuriated because of 1) his intolerable mix of arrogance and ignorance. That is one thing beyond my patience. It is a mix I simply cannot handle civilly. 2) it was being shared like crazy, and other ignorant creationists were showings his video to others and actually believing he had disproven evolution. They undoubtedly know very little about evolution if they could share this without embarrassment. People on my own Facebook feed were sharing this and after watching it, it was like they caught that ignorant arrogance like it was a contagion. I just really hate that all the people who oppose evolution are so afraid of I that they won't take the time to learn about it.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 3 by mwtech]
...they won't take the time to learn about [evolution].
You can't blame them too much. There's little to no factual data they can use to hold onto their belief (which is based only on hope) and they will do pretty much anything, say pretty much anything, believe pretty much anything, shun pretty much anything in order to 'keep the hope alive'.
Many times, this means ignoring things that could even benefit their belief.
Too many religious people are wearing blinders. And this to the apparent fact that religion tends to hunt down the needy, uneducated, easily swayed followers type of personality* and you have the makings for such a site

*Said in general terms - yes yes there are some intelligent religious folks and ignornant non-believers so don't get your pantaloons in a bunch people.

mwtech
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by mwtech »

connermt wrote: [Replying to post 3 by mwtech]
You can't blame them too much. There's little to no factual data they can use to hold onto their belief (which is based only on hope) and they will do pretty much anything, say pretty much anything, believe pretty much anything, shun pretty much anything in order to 'keep the hope alive'.
Too many religious people are wearing blinders. And this to the apparent fact that religion tends to hunt down the needy, uneducated, easily swayed followers type of personality* and you have the makings for such a site

*Said in general terms - yes yes there are some intelligent religious folks and ignornant non-believers so don't get your pantaloons in a bunch people.
I agree with you on every point except that I can't blame them. I do blame them, and I expect better of people than blind faith. Even as a christian, I was taught to treat all secular things with rationality and logic. I just went one step further and applied it to religion too. I expect the same of anyone.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Creationist attempts to "destroy evolution in three

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

HiddenHand wrote: If you have watched the video and read the rebuttal and you're either an atheist/naturalist/scientist or a creationist, what are your thoughts?
I wouldn't need to read a rebuttal. This man is clearly ignorant of science and especially the second law of thermodynamics. The second law of thermodynamics does not state what he claims. On the contrary the second law of thermodynamics explains precisely why it is possible for things to evolve into complex order. So this many is just broadcasting a statement of how completely uneducated he is.

Moreover, his arguments are absurd in any case. Because he's arguing that it's nonsense to believe in something like evolution whilst he obviously believes in some invisible Santa Claus God. Where did his invisible complex Santa Claus God come from?

So this man is not only uneducated but he also has no ability to reason at all.

HiddenHand wrote: What is there left that really makes a good case for the creationists?
There is no hope for pure creationism. Even if a God exists it's crystal clear that this God created this universe to evolve into life just as science has observed to be the case.

And by the way, that is a correct statement on my part. Science has indeed observed that this universe has evolved from simpler beginnings into a more complex form. Most of those observations have been direct (i.e. astronomical observations back in time). In fact, in that sense when a creationist asked, "Where you there?", in a very real sense, yes we were there, we can actually look into the past. ;)

The universe has indeed provided us with a time machine into the past in a visual sense. So yes, we can look into the past and thus we are there. (not were there). So the evolution of the universe is an observable science.

What we can't observe directly is the evolution of biological life on earth, but we have no reason to believe that it's not just a continuation of the evolution we see on the grander scale of the universe as a whole. Plus all the sciences of physics, chemistry, and thermodynamics, etc., even tell us how this happened. Biology and genetics seals the deal.

There is no question that we did indeed evolve. The man who made the video you pointed to is just broadcasting to the world a huge statement of just how utterly ignorant a person can be. The term "ignorant" being used here to mean a lack of education and understanding of known scientific facts.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by connermt »

mwtech wrote:
connermt wrote: [Replying to post 3 by mwtech]

I agree with you on every point except that I can't blame them. I do blame them, and I expect better of people than blind faith. Even as a christian, I was taught to treat all secular things with rationality and logic. I just went one step further and applied it to religion too. I expect the same of anyone.
Expectations in this world aren't what we expect many a time, unfortunately. And yes, one can blame them in the sense they aren't robots but, sadly, many seem to function as such. Blaming the clueless does little good in my experience. Now those who know better...that's a totally different story

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #8

Post by H.sapiens »

[Replying to post 7 by connermt]

Here is, I believe, the end of the 2nd Law discussion: Statistical Physics of Self-Replication