Beautiful passage

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Beautiful passage

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

I quoted this passage in the Christianity and Apologetic forum for debate.
But I think it fits well here in the HHR for discussion, and is uniting passage that all Christians, can agree on.

I have been admitedly very critical of Paul on other threads, but I really like this passage.

What does everyone think of this one? What do you get out of it?:

-----Acts 17,.22-31

22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: to an unknown god. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.

24 “The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. 25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26 From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’[c]

29 “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill. 30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.�
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #2

Post by Overcomer »

I'm reading a book on that passage from Acts about Paul at Mars Hill that you might find interesting, Elijah John. It's called The Gospel in the Marketplace of Ideas and was written by Paul Copan and Kenneth Litwak. In fact, I'm going through it weekly with a bunch of others. Anyone interested can get involved here:

http://www.apologetics315.com/

Just scroll down the page until you get to the heading about it.