Do (many) religions tend to demean women?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

If so, why?

Examples?

Justification?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Savant

Re: Do (many) religions tend to demean women?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Zzyzx wrote: .
If so, why?

Examples?

Justification?
Paul says according to the Bible:

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the assembly, and gave himself up for it;
Eph. 5:25

What do you think, is that demeaning for women?

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

Our current religion of equality certainly does demean men and women and what makes it even more egregious is that it parades itself proudly as if it is protecting them.

Examples abound every weekend where both sexes trade themselves cheaply in search of love and after they each wake up from such abusive encounters they must bury the feelings of love and joy and move on or they try to continue the relationship because such strong bonds are formed so quickly and find out years later the match was unwise.

Actually evolution is truly demeaning in the literal sense. It is an attempt to de-mean all meaning. I suspect that the demeaning process allows justifications to arise.

Even Islam is only trying to protect their women by covering them up. The problem there is the mental abuse of the men who are taught they can't restrain themselves and that stems from their view of God as pure will.

So I suspect we demean men more than women but women as the physically weaker/emotionally stronger see bear the brunt of the assault.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

1213 wrote:
If so, why?

Examples?

Justification?
Paul says according to the Bible:

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the assembly, and gave himself up for it;
Eph. 5:25

What do you think, is that demeaning for women?
I think society does not appreciate how marriage creates equality for both sexes as each person cleaves to one another and becomes one flesh.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

bluethread
Savant

Post #5

Post by bluethread »

Wootah wrote:
I think society does not appreciate how marriage creates equality for both sexes as each person cleaves to one another and becomes one flesh.
That is equity not equality, as the promoters of egalitarianism admit once they realize that equal pay for equal work means that being a bookkeeper and working high steel do not pay the same.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Zzyzx »

bluethread wrote:
Wootah wrote:
That is equity not equality, as the promoters of egalitarianism admit once they realize that equal pay for equal work means that being a bookkeeper and working high steel do not pay the same.
Would it be equal pay if male bookkeepers receive higher average pay than equally qualified and experienced female bookkeepers (or any other occupation or job title)?

Do such discrepancies exist in the real world?

Should a female ironworker (high steel) receive the same pay as a male ironworker doing the same work?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

bluethread
Savant

Post #7

Post by bluethread »

bluethread wrote:
Wootah wrote:
Would it be equal pay if male bookkeepers receive higher average pay than equally qualified and experienced female bookkeepers (or any other occupation or job title)?

Do such discrepancies exist in the real world?

Should a female ironworker (high steel) receive the same pay as a male ironworker doing the same work?
According to US law, yes they should. Of course, according to union rules, this is not the case. Let me see, when was the last time that the egalitarian crowd protested the unions. Oh ya, never.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #8

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to bluethread]

As this subject directly effects me since I am a stay at home dad and my wife works in the software industry. Which is heavily dominated by men.

My wife is a non unioned worker so that is largely irrelevant. Equal pay and treatment in the workplace is hard to come by. Although statistics show for women this is a better than average field. Since we have been together she has been demonted for a pregnancy(our first child) even though that year she was one of the top producers for her firm. It also did not effect her ability to code as the next job she worked at had no issues with her performance while pregnant. However, it became apparent after 3 years that she was not being given equal pay or raises. To male co-workers that had less production.

I think it is absurd to assume the that companies always act rationally. Humans are at times highly irrational and because of this management will make irrational choices like paying my wife less for better work causing her to leave the company for greener pastures.

This effects us though in our overall purchasing power compared to her peers. Like the amount of money we can put away for our sons college fund. Having less money for a home down payment as her peers were paid 15,000+ more a year.

Given her performance there is not one rational reason why she should not be paid the same. Frankly she should have been paid more.

I don't think equal pay is a societal evil. It only seems logical and rationale.

bluethread
Savant

Post #9

Post by bluethread »

DanieltheDragon wrote: Given her performance there is not one rational reason why she should not be paid the same. Frankly she should have been paid more.

I don't think equal pay is a societal evil. It only seems logical and rationale.
Not one reason? I know of many people who are less capable than me who are paid more than I am, but it's not my call. It appears that sales and negotiation skills are often better compensated than raw productivity.

I will grant you your circumstance, but how does that relate to the point I was making. If one is arguing that equal pay for equal work should be the law of the land, it is. Yet, there are many men like me who get paid less than their government and union counterparts for doing the same job, many of them women, especially when benefits are taken into consideration. My son is doing government contract work in which he has to work side by side with government workers. Those workers get similar pay, plus benefits and have the advantages of employee protections. However, since he is technically a private contractor, he gets no benefits and pays more employment taxes. Why are union and government workers allowed to get paid more for doing the same job. It's just not fair. :wail:

That said, I think most of the differences between the treatment of men and women is more a matter of cultural than religious practice. Sure, all members of society influence that society based on their preferred philosophies. However, the tension in a society between preferential and equal treatment is just part of the human condition and is not bound to theism in general, from my observations.

Freddy_Scissorhands
Student

Post #10

Post by Freddy_Scissorhands »

If so, why?

Examples?

Justification?
Of course they do.
And the reason why is easy: These religions have been established in a time, where equality (not only gender-equality, but equality in general) wasn't really a thing.
So, if you have a society, that considers women as property rather than equal people, you'll also end up with a "god" who thinks that women should obey their husbands, should be their property, and can literally be sold.

It's the reason why this concept of ownership over women is so dominant in many of the bigger religions, like christianity or islam.