Let's say that a God does exist

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zetesis Apistia
Guru

Let's say that a God does exist

Post #1

Post by Zetesis Apistia »

This is not an argument for the existence of God. This is not a trick to say gotcha. Just curious as to your response. No levity please. Here is the scenario......

You die and all of the sudden you find your self still consciously aware in a spiritual dimension that is foreign to the world in which we live. You are suddenly apprehended by an angelic host and carted off to a courtroom of sorts....You are then seated before a judge (God). God then asks you to plead your case before he makes his decision on your eternal destiny. What would be your response?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #151

Post by Zzyzx »

Starman wrote: Moreover you and all the brightest people alive today don't know everything about anything. This does not logically follow from nothing making it all.
Has someone claimed to know all about everything and anything? Or is that a straw man you construct / imagine to argue against?

It does not require exceptional intelligence for modern people to know more than was known by people living thousands of years ago. For instance, most people now realize that the Earth is not the center of the solar system, that donkeys and snakes do not converse in human language, that diseases are caused by microorganisms rather than demons or curses, that long dead bodies do not come back to life, that horses, chariots and people do not fly through the air unaided, etc.

However, many people still maintain that such events happen or did happen – based upon believing tales written by people of uncertain identity thousands of years ago. Based upon the same source they often also claim to know how the universe originated or how life began.

Amusingly, some become irritated, angry and/or hostile when others do not agree to believe ancient tales that conflict with modern knowledge.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #152

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

[Replying to Starman]
Starman wrote: You do not understand the meaning of correspondence in its broadest sense. The correspondence of which I speak links one part of the cosmic domain to another, in an extraordinarily pervasive manner. For example, we can only see because of the profound orderliness of electromagnetic radiation, because of its nearly flawless transmission, not only through a vacuum, but also through solids, such as our retinas, water, plastic and glass.

The cosmic correspondence links energy to such radiation, such that the same light we see with heats earth, grows plants, provides humans with wonderment and beauty.

Either all these miracles had a miraculous Designer, or else they simply fell into place without explanation, without design, but still miraculously.
The explanation is contained in quantum mechanics. The proof of this statement is to be found in our working technology. The "miracles" you refer to are easily reproduced by us poor humans without recourse to any supernatural intervention whatsoever. In fact, as you might notice, plastic is not a naturally produced material at all. For better or worse, humans invented the stuff. Clear window glass isn't exactly just laying around either. Nature makes tons of, mainly, volcanic glass though entirely natural processes. Most of it though is not opaque. We can make opaque glass by manipulating the world of the very small. And that ultimately brings us right back to the subject of quantum mechanics. Everything that occurs can be laid at the door of the ongoing process of quantum mechanics.

Light itself doesn't heat the earth by the way. Photons of light are mass-less and without charge. The sun heats the earth through the process of radiant heat. Radiation, positively and negatively charged particles striking the earth, and us, causing the positively and negatively charged particles in the matter that is us and the earth to move in response. Molecules of matter moving in response to contact with positively or negatively charged particles is what we experience as heat. No miracle is involved.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

otseng
Savant

Post #153

Post by otseng »

Starman wrote: I have tired of answering your infinite disingenuousnesses.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Please do not make personal comments about others.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Stonez
Scholar

Re: Let's say that a God does exist

Post #154

Post by Stonez »

Zetesis Apistia wrote: This is not an argument for the existence of God. This is not a trick to say gotcha. Just curious as to your response. No levity please. Here is the scenario......

You die and all of the sudden you find your self still consciously aware in a spiritual dimension that is foreign to the world in which we live. You are suddenly apprehended by an angelic host and carted off to a courtroom of sorts....You are then seated before a judge (God). God then asks you to plead your case before he makes his decision on your eternal destiny. What would be your response?

My case would rest upon spending many years of my life seeking him and his ways and I would ask why he didn't keep his promises? I would also ask why it was that he didn't answer my many prayers for him to reveal himself to me so I could know what and who I was following. I would ask why, when I prayed for the truth constantly, did he give me information and knowledge that would do nothing but lead me away from the bible and his teachings, if that is the god I was confronted by.

Personally, I would find myself judging god for his many lies and flaws and deceptions on mankind as a whole...I doubt very much that he could judge me in light of what I have been through with him and his cons and lies...I would find that as a total contradiction and see god as a total hypocrite if he did judge me in light of his many evil crimes...I would show god that I am a far better person that he ever was as a god of the earth...

I would prove that his evil ways does nothing at all to teach me to be a better person...His crimes against humanity far exceed anything I have ever done bad or wrong...Hmm, they even exceed Hitler's crimes for that matter...

If he found me guilty and cast me into hell to suffer forever, then I would tell him he is an unjust hypocrite and this proves my case...

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #155

Post by Danmark »

Zetesis Apistia wrote: This is not an argument for the existence of God. This is not a trick to say gotcha. Just curious as to your response. No levity please. Here is the scenario......

The problem is with the very first sentence. It is a hypothetical that insists on a particular answer. The more likely scenario:

You die and there is nothing. Like a dreamless sleep. You don't even have a memory of what happened before you died because the brain, the storehouse of memories and consciousness no longer exists. There is no electrical activity, no brain waves, nothing. Soon after death the brain decomposes and becomes lifeless sludge, then dirt. There is no one conscious to ask any questions of speculative fantastic beings that do not exist.

Starman
Under Probation

Post #156

Post by Starman »

Danmark wrote:

The problem is with the very first sentence. It is a hypothetical that insists on a particular answer. The more likely scenario:....
"The more likely scenario" is immaterial.
You simply did not wish to answer his hypothetical question, for which no "particular answer" is "insisted."

Einstein used hypothetical situations, for example a traveler who was traveling at the speed of light, which is of course impossible. It would require an almost infinite supply of fuel, as the mass of the craft continued to increase with velocity.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #157

Post by Danmark »

Starman wrote:
Danmark wrote:

The problem is with the very first sentence. It is a hypothetical that insists on a particular answer. The more likely scenario:....
"The more likely scenario" is immaterial.
You simply did not wish to answer his hypothetical question, for which no "particular answer" is "insisted."

Einstein used hypothetical situations, for example a traveler who was traveling at the speed of light, which is of course impossible. It would require an almost infinite supply of fuel, as the mass of the craft continued to increase with velocity.
Wrong.

Your response is demonstrably incorrect. I will demonstrate:

Here's the hypothetical again:
The hypothetical demands that one accept that there is life after death and that God exists.
Therefore the hypothetical does not admit to the possibility that God does not exist or that there is no life after death.

Given the demands of the hypothetical; that is let us accept it as if it is true, we still cannot answer because the hypothetical does not establish a standard by which the judge renders his decision, or a standard for 'pleading my case.'

If I go beyond the hypothetical and assume the author of it has in mind the God of the Bible, here is what I would tell him:

"I pursued the truth to the best of my ability. I honestly thought the idea that you existed was absurd. I've read the Bible and even tho' I wanted to believe in the idea of heaven, there were so many absurdities and inconsistencies recorded by people who claimed to represent you, that I dismissed their claims as ridiculous and assumed they made the whole thing up. I figured that if you really did exist, you'd understand and respect my honesty for believing what seemed logical to me. I also assumed you'd have a sense of humor, since all the people I like and respect have one. Please tell me I'm right, at least about the humor part.

By the way, why do you care what I think?"

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #158

Post by OnceConvinced »

Starman wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: Sad that God would have heard that so many times, but still never made an effort to provide the necessary evidence to some. You'd surely expect that he might make a little more effort in that department so as to avoid having to roast yet another of his beloved humans.
Says the judge of God who made him.
I don't judge God, I judge claims made about him by fallible men. And I do not believe I was created by any God. These are claims that you make which can't be supported.
Starman wrote: Whence came your morality? By what authority is your morality better than al Qaida's?
My morality comes from society and what I have been taught. I believe all morality evolves as society evolves and whoever makes the rules determine what the morality of society is, which is why you get some pretty horrible morals in some societies (including many of the horrible bible morals).

One does not need a God for morality, simply a little empathy and compassion. If we were to follow the bible version of morality then we would be no better than al Qaida.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World