How do Christians justify Exodus 31:12-15?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

How do Christians justify Exodus 31:12-15?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15)

1. Did this command come from God?

2. If so, why don't Christians follow this command?

3. Did Jesus change this law?

4. If so, why?

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Re: How do Christians justify Exodus 31:12-15?

Post #11

Post by Paprika »

Justin108 wrote: The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15)

4. If so, why?
The following should help:
Paprika wrote: As to the general 'herp derp why don't you Christians follow Jewish law' (as though that wasn't a central question faced and answered by the earliest Christians two millenia ago), the only saving grace is that many (if not most) Christians today also hold misunderstandings about how early Christianity (as recorded in Scripture) answered precisely this all-important question.
The response to the refugee crisis has been troubling, exposing... just how impoverished our moral and political discourse actually is. For the difficult tasks of patient deliberation and discriminating political wisdom, a cult of sentimental humanitarianism--Neoliberalism's good cop to its bad cop of foreign military interventionism--substitutes the self-congratulatory ease of kneejerk emotional judgments, assuming that the 'right'...is immediately apparent from some instinctive apprehension of the 'good'. -AR

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by Justin108 »

JLB32168 wrote:
Justin108 wrote:Excuse me? I have never heard this claim before [that the OT was the imperfect and incomplete revelation of God to man.] Where does Christianity teach that the OT, the supposed word of God himself, is an imperfect and incomplete revelation of God?
�Therefore the Law [the OT] has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.� I should say that I’m using “imperfect� not in the sense of “defective� but more like incomplete. Christian theology - or more specifically Eastern Orthodox theology - teaches that the OT points to Christ who is the fullness of God’s revelation to man.

Being our tutor, we are no longer bound by the whole of the law since Christ has died and been Resurrected - accomplishing the entire law (cf. "It is finished"), according to Christian theology.
Can you reference your quote please? I'm not familiar with it.

To say something is "incomplete" is to say it lacks something. In other words, something is not there that should be.

The Sabbath law not a "lacking", rather it is something that should not be there at all.

To illustrate the difference-
Something that is incomplete:
X should be there
X is not there
Therefore, something is incomplete

The Sabbath law, however, looks like this:
X (the Sabbath law) should not be there,
X is there
- this does not look like what "incomplete" should look like.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Justin108 »

Paprika wrote:
Justin108 wrote: The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15)

4. If so, why?
The following should help:
Paprika wrote: As to the general 'herp derp why don't you Christians follow Jewish law' (as though that wasn't a central question faced and answered by the earliest Christians two millenia ago), the only saving grace is that many (if not most) Christians today also hold misunderstandings about how early Christianity (as recorded in Scripture) answered precisely this all-important question.
So your answer is "that question has already been answered"...?

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Paprika »

Justin108 wrote:
Yes. Whenever non-Christians go 'why don't you Christians follow this or that part of Jewish law' like shellfish or mixed fabrics, it's usually a sign that they don't know much about what they're criticising since the issue has been addressed in part and in whole about two millennia ago (off the top of my head cf. the relevant texts in Mark, Acts, Romans, Galatians, Ephesians and Hebrews).
The response to the refugee crisis has been troubling, exposing... just how impoverished our moral and political discourse actually is. For the difficult tasks of patient deliberation and discriminating political wisdom, a cult of sentimental humanitarianism--Neoliberalism's good cop to its bad cop of foreign military interventionism--substitutes the self-congratulatory ease of kneejerk emotional judgments, assuming that the 'right'...is immediately apparent from some instinctive apprehension of the 'good'. -AR

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by Justin108 »

Paprika wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
Yes. Whenever non-Christians go 'why don't you Christians follow this or that part of Jewish law' like shellfish or mixed fabrics, it's usually a sign that they don't know much about what they're criticising since the issue has been addressed in part and in whole about two millennia ago (off the top of my head cf. the relevant texts in Mark, Acts, Romans, Galatians, Ephesians and Hebrews).
Unless you can actually address the OP directly, please refrain from posting. Thank you

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Paprika »

Justin108 wrote:
Unless you can actually address the OP directly, please refrain from posting. Thank you
I love my post addressing the 'herp derp', but I would infinitely prefer not having to post it in reply to yet another silly ignorant attempt at 'Gotcha, Christians!'

And if the questions in the original post still pose a problem, my advice would be to read the Scriptures and learn a little about the basic facts of Christian theology.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #17

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 16 by Paprika]

You could try and point to specific points in the bible that you believe support your statement. Not everyone has had the opportunity to read every line in the bible. If you purport to know the answer then it wouldn't be hard for you to supply the verses.

Sometimes what you view as a clear cut answer may not translate to other people. Instead of being condescending why don't you point out where you think the answers specifically lie.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Justin108 »

Paprika wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
If you can't answer the subquestions, can you respond to the title question? That is "how do you justify" the text? Suppose Jesus did do away with it, it doesn't change the fact that it was once there. God used to command we kill people for working. How do you justify that?