Questions about the Earth

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

servant
Apprentice

Post #1

Post by servant »

Did science or the bible first note that the earth hangs on nothing?

Did science or the bible first note that the earth was a circle and not flat?

Ciero
Student

Post #31

Post by Ciero »

Demon38 wrote:Hugh wrote:
No one could blame the bible ... it is the only book that linked us to the visioned and ambiguities of the past.
And I certainly don't blame the bible. It attempts to explain to an unsophisticated people the world in terms they can at least grasp. It does what any other religious text of the time tried to do. I blame the present day creationists who try to claim these simple explainations are superior to modern scientific explainations.
I couldn't have said it better myself

Revelations won
Sage

Post #32

Post by Revelations won »

Is there anyone who can show me wherein the Bible doctrinaly teaches that the world hangs on nothing?

Also is there anyone who can show me where the Bible teaches us that the world is flat?

Miles
Savant

Post #33

Post by Miles »

Revelations won wrote: Is there anyone who can show me wherein the Bible doctrinaly teaches that the world hangs on nothing?
Typically, these are the verses cited for both questions

Job 26:7
He spreads out the northern skies over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing.

I guess the inference here is that because it doesn't say what the earth is suspended from and that the skies are spread over empty space that it's suspended from nothing.

Also is there anyone who can show me where the Bible teaches us that the world is flat?
Isaiah 11:12
12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH. (KJV)

Revelation 7:1
1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (KJV)

Job 38:13
13 That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it? (KJV)

Jeremiah 16:19
19 O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come unto thee from the ENDS OF THE EARTH, and shall say, Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is no profit. (KJV)

Daniel 4:11
11 The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH: (KJV)

Job 38:13
"that it might take the earth by the EDGES and shake the wicked out of it?

Of course the Earth doesn't necessarily have to be flat to have four corners or edges.

.........................Image

Revelations won
Sage

Questions about the earth.

Post #34

Post by Revelations won »

Miles,

Thank you for your wonderful response and observations regarding my questions.

You brought out a very interesting quotation from Isaiah:

"Isaiah 11:12
12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH. (KJV)"

1. Isaiah prophesied that the Lord would "set up an ensign for the nations".

Where is this ensign for the nations located and how and in what manner was it set up?

2. Isaiah also prophesied that the Lord "shall assemble the outcasts of Israel".

My question is. "How andy who process is the Lord performing this mighty work pertaining to the assembling and gathering of the other 11 tribes of Israel?

3. Isaiah also prophesied that the Lord would also "gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH."

It appears obvious that one of the gathering locations for those of the descendants of Judah is clearly to the Nation of Israel. Is America also another gathering place for the descendants of Judah, since there are almost as many of those descendants also in the America's?

Do you or anyone else have answers to these three (3) questions?

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Re: Questions about the Earth

Post #35

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

servant wrote: Did science or the bible first note that the earth hangs on nothing?

Did science or the bible first note that the earth was a circle and not flat?
I suspect that it was the first student of geometry who understood that a circle IS FLAT, and ALSO understood that the Earth it is a sphere and not a two dimensional circle at all.

Isa.40
[22] It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

WRONG!!

The Earth is not a two dimensional circle at all, it is a sphere.

Notice that in ancient art the celestial bull named El Elyon (Illiyyon) is carrying the disk of creation between it's horns. Ancient people conceived of the Earth and all of creation as a circle! Ancient people were not stupid. Just ignorant.

Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #36

Post by H.sapiens »

[Replying to post 35 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Eratosthenes of Cyrene (c. 200 BCE) is the first documented calculation of the circumference of the Earth, so knowledge of the shape of the planet had to predate him. The concept of a spherical Earth dates back to around the 6th century BCE, when it was mentioned in ancient Greek philosophy texts. It likely goes back even further since the spherical nature of the planet is immediately obvious to anyone leaving or approaching shore in a boat.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #37

H.sapiens wrote: [Replying to post 35 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Eratosthenes of Cyrene (c. 200 BCE) is the first documented calculation of the circumference of the Earth, so knowledge of the shape of the planet had to predate him. The concept of a spherical Earth dates back to around the 6th century BCE, when it was mentioned in ancient Greek philosophy texts. It likely goes back even further since the spherical nature of the planet is immediately obvious to anyone leaving or approaching shore in a boat.
Eratosthenes was a modern man compared to the worship of El the Bull, which goes back more than five thousand years. It's true though that really smart people figured out long ago that the Earth was round. This was NOT generally understood by the public however. Columbus certainly knew that the Earth is round, even though it was still generally believed in the fifteenth century to be flat. We still have "flat Earthers" to this day in fact. Ignorance and superstition die hard, most especially since they are so often tied together.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

PghPanther
Guru

Post #38

Post by PghPanther »

[Replying to servant]

Your question isn't even formulated correctly and demonstrates the ignorance you have on this subject.

The Earth like all matter in the universe is not suspended but is in continuous motion...........and in the case of the Earth that motion is held by the warping of space/time by Sun so that it is in geodesic orbit around that star.

Assuming that the Earth is suspended or hung in space is as bad an observation as saying it is flat and turtle all the way down............

Once again ancient manuscripts canonized into a proclaimed holy scriptures known as the bible are either clueless about reality or once in a blue moon the writers will guess correctly.............. but this case it is apparent that their guess was dead wrong......

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #39

Post by 2Dbunk »

Goat was right back in 2008 -- the bible writers borrowed from the Sumerians and Babylonians the myth of the Earth being a disc (Tired of the Nonsense shows that fact with El, the bull, a few posts back).

Trouble is, servant is no longer in the conversation and cannot/will not? appreciate our more recent posts (He or she hasn't been on this site for over four years).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Islam is ALL that a religion can be!

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #40

2Dbunk wrote: Goat was right back in 2008 -- the bible writers borrowed from the Sumerians and Babylonians the myth of the Earth being a disc (Tired of the Nonsense shows that fact with El, the bull, a few posts back).

Trouble is, servant is no longer in the conversation and cannot/will not? appreciate our more recent posts (He or she hasn't been on this site for over four years).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Islam is ALL that a religion can be!
What you say about servant may be true. But the subject at hand is fresh to everyone who happens to be following it.