Was Prophet Muhammad Mentioned In Bible ?!

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

mms20102
Scholar

Was Prophet Muhammad Mentioned In Bible ?!

Post #1

Post by mms20102 »

some verses in bible mentioned muhammad the prophet by name some people say its not true in this debate we need to know whether he was or was not mentioned

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Was Prophet Muhammad Mentioned In Bible ?!

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

mms20102 wrote: some verses in bible mentioned muhammad the prophet by name some people say its not true in this debate we need to know whether he was or was not mentioned
I don't know of any where the prophet Muhammad was mentioned, at least by name. Can you provide any evidence that he was?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

mms20102
Scholar

Post #3

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to post 2 by Elijah John]

Song of Songs 5:16New International Version (NIV)
His mouth is sweetness itself;
he is altogether lovely.
This is my beloved, this is my friend,

Hebrew text : " חִכֹּו֙ מַֽמְתַקִּ֔י� וְכֻלֹּ֖ו מַחֲמַדִּ֑י� זֶ֤ה דֹודִי֙ וְזֶ֣ה רֵעִ֔י בְּנֹ֖ות יְרוּשָ�לִָֽ�׃ "
Read as : "ḥik-k�w mam-ṯaq-qîm, wə-ḵul-l�w ma-ḥă-mad-dîm;
zeh ��-w-�î wə-zeh rê-‘î, bə-n�-wṯ yə-rū-š�-lim. "

like many other names in the bible like fatos converted to petros and then peter
Muhammed + im = mohamed with respect as im is the plural of respect and it was translated into English all together lovely

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 3 by mms20102]

Well, I'm not familiar with this claim, but came across this rubuttal on the internet
"The meaning of the Hebrew ma-kha-madeem is different from the meaning of the word “Muhammad� in Arabic. According to Sheikh Abd al-Azîz, Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia, the word “Muhammad� is derived from the Arabic root word hamd meaning “praise.� It is the emphatic passive participle of that root and can be translated as “the Oft-Praised One� (n.d.). However, the Hebrew term (makh-mahd) in the passage under consideration has a completely different meaning. It refers to “grace, beauty� (Gesenius, 1847, p. 464), “a desirable thing, delightfulness� (Brown, et al., 1906, pp. 326-327), “a pleasant thing� (Payne, 1980, 1:295), or “precious� (Holladay, 1988, p. 190). English translations render the term “altogether lovely� (NKJV, NIV), “wholly desirable� (NASB), and “altogether desirable� (ESV, RSV). No reputable English translation would render the underlying Hebrew as “praised one,� let alone as “Muhammad.�

All Muslims have done is happen upon a Hebrew word that phonetically sounds somewhat like “Muhammad� and have erroneously concluded the word must be referring to him. Such handling of linguistic data is irresponsible—if not deceptive.
source: http://www.apologeticspress.org/APConte ... ticle=4749

I did check in my concordance and sure enough the expression in English "Altogether lovely" doesn't have the same meaning as "Mohamed" and I don't need anyone to tell me that they stem from two different (if related) languages. Mohamed evidently is not a transliteration of the Hebrew "machmad" (lovely/delightful) which is not a name anyway. So given the above it seems like a rather flimsey and unconvincing claim to me. What next? The claim that the Hebrews invented the automobile because their word for gate -- Cuwr -- looks a lot like the English word "Car"?

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

mms20102 wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Elijah John]

he is altogether lovely.

Hebrew text : " חִכֹּו֙ מַֽמְתַקִּ֔י� וְכֻלֹּ֖ו מַחֲמַדִּ֑י� זֶ֤ה דֹודִי֙ וְזֶ֣ה רֵעִ֔י בְּנֹ֖ות יְרוּשָ�לִָֽ�׃ "

like many other names in the bible like fatos converted to petros and then peter
Muhammed + im = mohamed with respect as im is the plural of respect and it was translated into English all together lovely
I for one could only wish that this interpretation held up. That would be delightful. It does not though, I am afraid.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #6

Post by Elijah John »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
mms20102 wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Elijah John]

he is altogether lovely.

I for one could only wish that this interpretation held up. That would be delightful. It does not though, I am afraid.
I agree, it's quite a stretch. The OP mentions "verses" plural. mm do you have any others? So far, unconvinced.

But even if Muhammad is not mentioned in the Bible, that does not in and of itself invalidate Islam.

Christians also tend to make forced interpretation of the OT. Not necessary. The teachings of Jesus likewise do not depend on their being fortold by previous Scripture. But Islam, and Christianity stand (or should stand) on their own merits, without necessary appeal to "prophecy".

But "old" Scripture is important for context, confirmation, and as launching pads for new ideas, new revelations, and new interpretations. However these are another matters, the ways the old are relevant to the new..
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

mms20102 wrote: some verses in bible mentioned muhammad the prophet by name some people say its not true in this debate we need to know whether he was or was not mentioned

The nearest appropriate reference would be in Matthew 24:11

"And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many."

I'd guess this is the verse most Christians would refer to.

Willum
Savant

Post #8

Post by Willum »

Closingaccountreadgmailna
Student

Post #9

Post by Closingaccountreadgmailna »

Some verses? What verse exactly? Name 1, please.

You were sold a lie.

Source: https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearc ... ersion=NIV

PghPanther
Guru

Post #10

Post by PghPanther »

There is a reference in the NT that says after Christ's departure from earth that God will send a helper in the future which Muslims claim is Mohammad and Christians state is the Holy Spirit.........