If god doesn't follow his own rules, why should we?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Princess Luna On The Moon
Apprentice

If god doesn't follow his own rules, why should we?

Post #1

Post by Princess Luna On The Moon »

*Let's assume the Christian god is real*

This is mostly about the Old Testament where many rules (the 10 Commandments for instance) are listed. If god so rarely follows his own rules and often switches character traits, why should we follow anything he says? Wouldn't his lack of consistency make him rather pathetic as a supreme leader?

Also, why should we follow something even if we find it immoral? Why is harming other humans in the name of god justified? Or, why is god allowed to get away with killing, harming, or ignoring us, yet whenever something good happens, he gets all the credit?

endtimer
Student

Elijah

Post #51

Post by endtimer »

[Replying to post 48 by Elijah John]

Hi Elijah.
I am debating Christianity , your moderation is not welcome.

endtimer
Student

Counterarguement

Post #52

Post by endtimer »

[Replying to post 48 by Elijah John]

I agree that if you knew God was personal and I take that back sorry, I thought that everyone on here would naturally assume that its where God's word is scientifically documented and proven in all religions and bibles of their kinds. I was not referring to any one religion.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #53

Post by OnceConvinced »

endtimer wrote: [Replying to post 48 by Elijah John]

Hi Elijah.
I am debating Christianity , your moderation is not welcome.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Too bad if his moderation is not welcome. You are expected to abide by the rules as everyone else here does. His comment on your preaching was a valid one. Preaching is not considered debating.

If you wish to appeal the rules, then simply PM the site administrator Otseng. Any challenging of moderator action or comments should be done via PM, not aired in the forums themselves.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

alexx
Student

Re: If god doesn't follow his own rules, why should we?

Post #54

Post by alexx »

endtimer wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Princess Luna On The Moon]

If you knew anything about God , then you would know that He has never changed a bit. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. It is a good thing that we who know Him are witnesses. It is mankind that failed and it has been preplanned and documented so. If you can prove anywhere that God has changed His rules, then you should do so by showing us where you read that in the bible. If you dont believe then you never will. no one is telling you to follow rules...He said MANY will be called but only a few will listen...as in Noah's day. when you generalize like that and say "we" you are speaking for yourself
just wondering, is a new covenant a change of rules!? if not,what does change!? :-s

alexx
Student

Post #55

Post by alexx »

Peds nurse wrote:
JonDarbyXIII wrote:
Peds nurse wrote: We know that God said that the people were wicked. The men of God were marrying those who did not follow Him. They were choosing beauty and lust over God. I am not sure what else they were doing, but in God's eyes it wasn't good. He is the judge, and for Him, it was erasing all who did not follow Him.

Today, It is much the same, in that there are still those who are wicked, those who don't follow, and those who serve other Gods. The fate of those who ignore Him, is much the same as those who He destroyed earlier in the flood.
Darby XIII wrote:However, if things are much the same today (and the Bible notes that this was the case even immediately afterward, wouldn't that mean that the flood--to blot out this evil--was all for naught? This would seem to indicate that God was either inept, or in the very least impulsive, destroying the world in anger while knowing that it would change nothing.
What if those who were marrying ungodly women, were to erase the name of God? We are not quite sure what those people were doing, because it doesn't say. I trust God though, and through the story of the flood, I find value in serving Him who saved those who were righteous.
are you sticking to the old testament in your question!? :-s

Donray
Guru

Post #56

Post by Donray »

Could someone explain how God killing babies by drowning is not Murder?

Is it OK to kill a baby for any reason?

mms20102
Scholar

Post #57

Post by mms20102 »

If you need to know if god followed his own rules please show me what god gave to us ?

It seems that the bible is only the word of god according to " luke , paul , ..... etc " and yet we have no prove that they typed these books themselves so debating what is inside the bible is just like debating a novel written by a random writer .. some parts of the bible are god's word and some are simply not .. and about contradictions there are many many contradictions in the bible ..

1- Marriage > according to the bible any female gets divorced and then marry again she is committing adultery
2- Jesus told his followers to bring the people who don't follow him and slay them before him
3- Jesus said wine is bad yet he converted water into wine
4- Jesus said he will be in the ground for 3 days and 3 nights yet he only spent 2 nights and one day
5- When ever spirit is mentioned its referred to the holy ghost yet at the last chapter of the bible its said that 9 spirits will come out to the world ..

the list is very long but it doesn't prove that god doesn't follow his own rules for example god forbid having friend wife or child or father or mother in Islam does that means we should be like god ?

God was uncreated how could we be uncreated and even there is things god can't make like create another uncreated god

The human to god is less than a neutron to the universe Zillion times squared comparing human to god is actually humiliation to god

Imagine you made a robot and you gave it some orders to follow do you need to follow the same rules or do the same like a robot ?
Last edited by mms20102 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donray
Guru

Post #58

Post by Donray »

mms20102 wrote: Imagine you made a robot and you gave it some orders to follow do you need to follow the same rules or do the same like a robot ?
Yes if the maker is the god of the Bible or Quran.

Isn't one attribute of god perfection? Don't you call god a loving god?

So tell me how you justify murdering a baby?

You admit then that your god is not a loving god, but a vindictive murder?

mms20102
Scholar

Post #59

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to post 41 by JonDarbyXIII]

God didn't want to eliminate evil in fact he wanted the next generation to understand his existence back at those old days the only way to make people believe was supernatural power and a small supernatural thing won't make them believe unlike nowadays we don't believe in supernaturals just like the case of most atheists that's why killing atheists will be no use they will understand that it happened naturally not by god . And that's why we as Muslims claim that god put his ultimate word in Quran with challenging people by skill not by supernaturals we also believe that supernaturals ended by the time Quran was delivered . So god wanted people to know his existence by debating them with Quran and that's why there are many facts biological and scientific in Quran written 1450 years ago and yet not discovered except in this era after we advanced and for every age there was some thing to challenge like at very old age Quran predicted war out comes on later age it illustrated the material ants was formed from and on later we discovered that iron wasn't at any time on earth and same as said by quran and later when we created microscopes we found that it described all the human formation process in detail and later on it made a challenge for all scientist to create a wing of bug and through all the time it challenged any one to create a chapter like it and for 1450 years non could fulfill .
Why not god make all faithful he can create any thing .. God said if we don't sin he will remove us from earth and get other people to sin and to ask him for forgiveness and he shall forgive them .
Now I know that some will be asking why god created us in first place ?
A painter, if we are to draw a similitude on a lower level, who tells you that he is a painter, if you ask him where are his paintings and he replies I don't have any. What kind of painter is this? The concept of a painter who doesn't paint, there is some thing not quite gelling together here, of course God is beyond this. But if we are to understand on the simplest level, the two go together. The perfection of a painter lies in his paintings. His quality and his ability to paint, is manifest in his paintings. And God, beyond all that, as creator, this quality of creation is manifest in the creation itself. Allah didn't create out of a need. No, the fact that he is the creator, is manifest in the creation.
Looking at our body and how we where created in a complete harmony 2 temperature degree up or down can make you body in disorder .. all the body is created with balance and all the world was also created with balance day can't come at night and night can't come at day and no planet can go faster than intended and no planet crash into the other all have a specified course to go . No human can do a system with such perfection simply because we are not gods

mms20102
Scholar

Post #60

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to post 57 by Donray]

There is no such a thing in Quran and God mentioned the babies that were buried alive
" when the buried girl is asked why she was murdered " god will accomplish justice at the judge day even for the hapless and even in the animal kingdom he will make pull with no horns to get horns and hit the one it hit it
God could never be happy by killing people from Islamic viewpoint