Moderator: Moderators

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Theists don't ask questions

Post #1

Post by Blastcat »

Hi

I ask a lot of questions.. and SOMETIMES ( but not always ) get answers.

One of the reasons that I do ask a lot of questions, is that I don't actually learn anything new by proselytizing atheism. I do that a bit, of course, I think it's important that people get to know an atheist and what he thinks about the "big questions" and so on, but I am ALSO here to learn what OTHER people think.

So, the questions.

It just occurred to me that I RARELY get any questions from the theists.
Isn't that odd?

Question for debate:

• Why is it that theists don't seem very curious as to what outsiders to their beliefs think?

:)

theophile
Guru

Re: Theists don't ask questions

Post #111

Post by theophile »

[Replying to Blastcat]
Job questioned God, and LOOK what happened to him, kiddies !!
Let's follow the story please. Job was not described as "questioning God" prior to his test. But he is shown questioning God for about 30 chapters after. Thus, it would be difficult to make an argument that his questioning God was the reason for his test, as I hear you saying here.
Ok.. someone is going to tell me "the mind of God".
Jesus Christ, it's a story. We are trying to understand a story using the evidence it gives us. No metaphysical leaps please. Stay focused.
Hmmm I never thought of like that.
I thought it was "torture of a worshiper to prove a point to some minion of God".
Structurally there are two parts to the book. There is the prose prologue and epilogue, and then the poetic dialogue which takes up the bulk. I think you are absolutely right that the story is framed by a test (which we need to discern the meaning of). But the poetic dialogue, i.e., the bulk, is all about consoling Job.

It is initiated by the friends coming to do just that. And capped off by Job's statement 42:6 which, again, can be faithfully rendered as a statement of consolation (about dust and ashes).
That's what horrible torture does to a person.
It really does "break him down".

Fun story, isn't it?
Are you trying to understand the book or just criticize it? How about we try to understand it first, okay?

But yes, Job's test (and again, that is something we need to understand before we can criticize it) has this effect. It leads Job to think himself nothing. "Dust and ashes."
AH.. there's the attempted consolation by his FRIENDS.
I guess some of his friends were angry, too.

His friends weren't crazy or evil. God, yes.
Jumping to conclusions here about God (and the friends). Darkening the meaning without a proper understanding (or, if you have a proper understanding, please tell me the meaning of the test, and please do so in a far more compelling way than you did before).

The friends are not angry. If anything, they get angry and frustrated with Job for not listening to them.
Well, go ahead and assume it if you like.
I'll go by what the story says, instead.

The god who just had Job tortured, humiliated, and had members of his family murdered, ( I think it was the kids? ) gives Job a long chastising speech.
Yes, let's go with what the story says, so please stay focused on that. Nowhere does it say God's intention was to "torture" Job nor to "chastise" him. Citations please.

You are jumping to a conclusion here as much as me, but my reading (unlike yours) fits with the text. Again, explain to me why God praises Job in 42:7.

How does that fit with the view that God chastises Job?

Oh, it doesn't. That's right.
UPLIFT JOB?

You mean by way of torture?

God goes on and on and on rubbing it in ( AFTER ALL OF THAT TORTURE ) that Job doesn't know as much as God. Yeah.. that's not very "gracious". But coming from the person who is responsible for all of that horrible torture, it's not really surprising, either. In Job, we have a psychopathic and possibly quite psychotic God.

I think the whole point is.. "No matter what torture I put you through, what's real important here is that you love and obey me."
I already laid out this position in contrast to mine in my previous post. You are not addressing the issues raised but simply restating.

How is this view coherent with Job 42:7?

Why is Job praised?
This is the way that I see the Job story:
1. I consider it a myth.
Good, so do I.
2. I consider it a myth that is quite POSSIBLY used to challenge people to come up with ways to think about moral issues and the like. Or, to come up with SOMETHING clever.
Okay, not following the "something clever" part but I generally agree.
3. So, people come up with LOTS of clever things.
What do you mean "clever things"?
4. The story itself is completely disgusting, and has an evil psycho god who cannot read minds, and who seems to need to prove something to someone by torturing a man he calls good.
How about you think deeper about the test. That is one of the "clever things" we need to discern, and that the book doesn't make obvious.

The satan comes for a reason (from the earth). God sanctions the test for a reason.

Instead of jumping to "psychotic" why not try to discern it?
5. One thing about this god, though, he insists on being worshiped, no matter what.
Again, tell me how this view that God comes to chastise and blow Job away fits with God praising Job a few versus later.

That verse, 42:7, is instrumental (another one of those "clever things" IMO). If we can't reconcile it with our view of the story, our view is wrong. You can't reconcile it with your view. Therefore...
6. If I really wanted to, could I come up with great rationalizations and theories about this story? You BETCHA I could. Do I care?.. not too much, no. Do your care? I have to wonder about that. In this thread, if you haven't noticed, I ask if Christians have ANY curiosity about what outsiders to their faith think. But as you might have noticed, I do have a few ideas.. maybe I should write an essay about the Job story from my skeptical agnostic outsider's point of view. Maybe point out how the god in the story is very much like Jame Gumb, AKA "Buffalo Bill" in the Silence of the Lambs.
I don't care? Excuse me? I've asked you some key questions and have so far gotten nothing. You go ahead and rationalize away.

Questions:

1. What is the reason for Job's test?
2. Why does God praise Job?

Go. Rationalize. Give me something truly compelling please, not the messy answer you gave me before that lumped Job with the friends when God was clearly separating them (praising Job and chastising the friends).
7. LOOK what happens when people question God, kiddies ! You don't want to end up like Job, do ya?
Again, a mess. Job doesn't question God until after. Stick to the story. Read closer.
Next time, please cite the passage, and mention where I can find the passage.
theophile wrote:

I am NOT a Bible scholar, my friend.

Where does it use the word : "Magnificent" to describe Job?
Could you quote where it says that?
It's so clear you haven't hardly read the book. I don't know how you can make the claims you do.

I shouldn't need to reference where Behemoth and Leviathan are described in majestic terms. See Job 40-41.

Again, Behemoth and Leviathan are described in majestic terms, and Job, at the start of chapter 40, is put side by side with Behemoth as creations of God..

The point, not to make Job feel small, but to raise him up.

Job is never called "majestic" directly. If God did that, the "cleverness" of the book, and its need for discernment, would all be lost. It would be like giving away the trick to a puzzle.
Yeah, I get it that your translation isn't "standard":

Job 42:6 (KJ21)

6 Therefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.�

Job really really really gets it.
After all of what he went through, Job ABHORS himself.
Look at the Hebrew. Consult some scholars. Good one on this is Carol Newsom. She lays out 6 or so possible renderings of this verse.

ANOTHER QUESTION FOR ATHEISTS:

How can you possibly claim such things of biblical literature when it is evident you haven't given it the time?

You expect such high standards of scientific knowledge. I'm sure if it was Aristotle or Marx or whoever else you would require intense, years of study before making such bold claims. Why do you think you can write off the bible with a brief scan of its text? Without diving into the source languages? Without, like good, free-thinking atheists, questioning standard translations and teachings?

Jesus Christ.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #112

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 106 by hoghead1]

[center]It's always best to know what one is talking about before lecturing someone about it.[/center]

hoghead1 wrote:
Oops. Your post shows a major misconception of what an ad hominem argument is and also ends up a bit of an ad hominem argument itself.
I'm so very clever that way....

hoghead1 wrote:
Ad hominem arguments are simply attacks on the character of one's opponents.

One should look it up before presuming to teach it.

hoghead1 wrote:
I'm interested in qualifications, not character.
Yeah, I've noticed that from the start with you... you are more interested in someone's qualifications, not their ideas.

I'm not at all interested in debating a person's qualifications.

hoghead1 wrote:
However, if the subject matter under discussion is the individual's credibility or competence, then it is not an ad hominem argument to criticize his or her credentials and qualifications.

I don't need a diploma on any wall to prove to anyone that I know my own mind.

hoghead1 wrote:
Saying that you are going to see a real doctor rather than listen to your neighbor's opinion about your health condition is not at all an ad hominem attack on your neighbor; it is simply sound reasoning.
I don't need to ask anyone ( including the cleverest PHD ) what my opinions or beliefs are. I know them already, you see.

Ad hominem means to the person.
I'm here to discuss ideas.. not a person's academic standings.

Thanks for the lecture.
It was wrong.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #113

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 111 by theophile]

I should really start counting how many times I start off a post with this:

OPINIONS ARE NOT FACTS

theophile wrote:
ANOTHER QUESTION FOR ATHEISTS:

How can you possibly claim such things of biblical literature when it is evident you haven't given it the time?
So, now, only Biblical scholars can have opinions in here? I wasn't aware of that FACT. Maybe you can so some scholarly research on the FORUM RULES.

Sorry, friend.
When I am telling you MY OPINION, I am not pretending to tell you a FACT.

You seem to have a difficulty telling the difference between fact and opinion.
This is a very common cognitive problem with apologists, for some reason.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #114

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 108 by hoghead1]

[center]
Struggling with the burden of the proof again....
[/center]

hoghead1 wrote:
Yes, unfortunately that I appears to be the case here, along with the fact there is a great deal of unreflective atheism.
What is reflective about atheism?

It's simply rejecting theistic claims as bogus.
Theism hasn't met it's burden of the proof, and I'm not convinced that theism is true.
That didn't take a whole of of REFLECTION on my part.

I was 12 when I figured it out. Took me half a second.
Now, I won't believe those wonderful claims until there is some good reason to.

I await the so called evidence.
Of course, I don't have an advanced DEGREE in "waiting".

In the meantime, I keep asking for their evidence, and keep getting rhetoric instead. And in here, at least, very bad reasoning.

Atheists don't have the burden of the proof.
We aren't making the God claims... theists do that.

One person goes so far as to think that one needs a degree in Biblical scholarship in order to make up our mind.

And, that's another fine example of fallacious reasoning combined with empty, misleading rhetoric.

William
Savant

Post #115

Post by William »

Blastcat wrote:
Nothing other than superficial stuff.
Hand-waving away. Yes I get that.
Theism hasn't met it's burden of the proof, and I'm not convinced that theism is true.
Hand-waving never does. Burden of proof is a ridiculous demand, ill defined and flase for that.
It is fallacy to demand burden of proof while not being specific as to what demands should be met.
All your choice how you decide to interpret your life in relation to the external. But hardly a great witness to anything in particular. Mundane for that Blastcat.

not to say that I don't understand the compulsion for some individuals to take that position. But they overstep to 'preach' that their way is the right way.

Is that what you are doing Blastcat?
Yes your highness. You will be waiting a long time for that. You are more likely to die waiting than for it to come to pass for you. The speed of science is not on your side here and besides, The existence of GOD isn't even a question of science, so you are barking up the wrong tree there.
Wait long enough and you probably still won't get one. Perhaps in death the opportunity will afford itself some evidence you can latch on to. Who really knows?
Not in relation to lack of belief in all god ideas. Once the claims meander onto paths of counter-claims related to belief, then yes - the burden of proof should also be a requirement for atheists to provide.
Then as atheists, deal with the claims as they arise. If claims require burden of proof then so be it.

What claim would you consider requires burden of proof Blastcat? Just name one and we can look at it together then and decide if it is a legitimate request of a false one.

TheBeardedDude
Scholar

Post #116

Post by TheBeardedDude »

William wrote:
Blastcat wrote:
Nothing other than superficial stuff.
Hand-waving away. Yes I get that.
Hand-waving never does. Burden of proof is a ridiculous demand, ill defined and flase for that.
It is fallacy to demand burden of proof while not being specific as to what demands should be met.
All your choice how you decide to interpret your life in relation to the external. But hardly a great witness to anything in particular. Mundane for that Blastcat.

not to say that I don't understand the compulsion for some individuals to take that position. But they overstep to 'preach' that their way is the right way.

Is that what you are doing Blastcat?
Yes your highness. You will be waiting a long time for that. You are more likely to die waiting than for it to come to pass for you. The speed of science is not on your side here and besides, The existence of GOD isn't even a question of science, so you are barking up the wrong tree there.
Wait long enough and you probably still won't get one. Perhaps in death the opportunity will afford itself some evidence you can latch on to. Who really knows?
Not in relation to lack of belief in all god ideas. Once the claims meander onto paths of counter-claims related to belief, then yes - the burden of proof should also be a requirement for atheists to provide.
Then as atheists, deal with the claims as they arise. If claims require burden of proof then so be it.

What claim would you consider requires burden of proof Blastcat? Just name one and we can look at it together then and decide if it is a legitimate request of a false one.
"Hand-waving away. Yes I get that. "

When a god is "hand-waved" into existence, why would you expect anything other than a hand-waving dismissal of god claims given the paucity of evidence?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #117

Post by Clownboat »

Blastcat wrote:I await the so called evidence.
William wrote:Yes your highness.
When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. - Socrates
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #118

Post by OnceConvinced »

theophile wrote:
Jesus Christ, it's a story.

:warning: Moderator Warning

Whereas blasphemy is not necessarily against the rules on this site, profanity is and using this name in that context is definitely profanity. Please avoid this in future.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

William
Savant

Post #119

Post by William »

Clownboat wrote:
Blastcat wrote:I await the so called evidence.
William wrote:Yes your highness.
When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. - Socrates
What? 'Slander'? Don't be silly Clownboat. It was a lighthearted ribbing in reply to the notion that things have to be brought to someone on a plate while the demanding 'waits'. (is waited upon).

A bit along the lines of what a parent might say to a demanding child...'when did your last servant die and who made you boss of the rules?

Surely it is that obvious. Yes sure it is, especially in context to the rest of my post. I don't know how anyone could miss it.

William
Savant

Post #120

Post by William »

TheBeardedDude wrote:

"Hand-waving away. Yes I get that. "

When a god is "hand-waved" into existence, why would you expect anything other than a hand-waving dismissal of god claims given the paucity of evidence?
Your statement thought is not aligned with actuality. The Idea of God was not hand-waved into existence. Perhaps that is also why atheists are oft misunderstood because they make such sweepingly inaccurate charges against the general idea of GOD?

The idea of GOD is complex. Maybe you can reply to my post in context, and perhaps answer the questions therein? Rather than quote out of context and then make unrealistic statements about that?