What is the true value of 666?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

What is the true value of 666?

Post #1

Post by 2Dbunk »

Today I noticed that JW has achieved his/her 666th Like in debate. As a Christian (who most of which disdains the number 666 as being the mark of the beast), I wonder how they handle such an achievement?

Of course his/her number of likes will change quickly (if it has not already), but in a more general sense has Christianity and Judaism or Islam come to grips with dealing with that EVIL number. Or is this just another stumbling block for apologists to have to rationalize?
Last edited by 2Dbunk on Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: What is the true value of 666?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

2Dbunk wrote: Today I noticed that JW has achieved his/her 666th “Like� in debate. As a Christian (who most of which disdains the number 666 as being the mark of the beast), I wonder how they handle such an achievement?

Of course his/her number of likes will change quickly (if it hasn’t already), but in a more general sense has Christianity and Judaism or Islam come to grips with dealing with that “evil� number. Or is this just another stumbling block for apologists to have to rationalize?

LOL... well I'm just happy to get a mention. As happy as I am to see a post begin with a mention of one of Jehovah's Witnesses , I have to point out that we don't believe any number is intrinsically evil and Jehovah's Witnesses are not superstitious about math.. this might also be the occassion to thank anyone that has liked my posts and point out that I am compiling an alphabetic list of them for easy access to topics over in MEMBERS NOTES .

To answer the question, as a JW I believe the number to be purely symbolic, representative of one the symbolic beasts depicted in revelation.

source: https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/q ... -666-mean/

Thanks for making me smile,

JW

RELATED POSTS

Who or what is represented by the 8th "King" of REV 17:11?
viewtopic.php?p=1056167#p1056167

To learn more please go to other posts related to

DANIEL'S PROPHECIES , THE GENTILE TIMES and ... THE BOOK OF REVELATION
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

LOL... well I'm just happy to get a mention. As happy as I am to see a post begin with a mention of one of Jehovah's Witnesses , I have to point out that we don't believe any number is intrinsically evil and Jehovah's Witnesses are not superstitious about math.. this might also be the occassion to thank anyone that has liked my posts and point out that I am compiling an alphabetic list of them for easy access to topics over in MEMBERS NOTES .
Thank you for the info (and the 'like'). It is encouraging that Christians recognize the number as symbolic rather than literally a BAD number.

As a former engineer the number 666 is a necessary component of all the measuring systems of the world (and space). It is unavoidable, thus lending less credence to the fundamentalists who try to avoid its presence -- more reason to question their myopic view of REALITY.

Looking at your pictorial of 666, the narrative describes the ruling political system on Earth as being evil. Is this in referrence to the United Nations? If it is, it is disconcerting that an effort in unification such as the UN is looked upon with disfavor by "God." Of course, the Bible is not fanatical about uniting people (unless it is within the three Abrahamic religions -- and then THAT is hardly unifying in their individual respects).

What is so evil in trying to get all the people to live under one flag, in concert with one another? Sounds to me that the Abrahamic god is a very parochial and flawed god.

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

[Replying to post 3 by 2Dbunk]

I think there are as many interpretations of the beasts of revelation as their are readers, that is just our own interpretation of the visions, anyone is welcome to reject it as nonsense if they so wish (I'm not saying you are, I'm just pointing out the obvious). We will have to see how things play out, but I have complete confidence in bible prophecy.

Unity is of course a good thing and I am sure their are honest hearted indviduals in all political organizations, but the only true source of global unity is the Kingdom of God. As such any alternative world government is by definition a distraction from the real solution for mankind's woes.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 4 by JehovahsWitness]
Unity is of course a good thing and I am sure their are honest hearted indviduals in all political organizations, but the only true source of global unity is the Kingdom of God. As such any alternative world government is by definition a distraction from the real solution for mankind's woes.
That sounds like so much defeatist talk. Here we are on planet Earth, left to our own devices to survive with no more guidance than a 2,000 year old text. Since then we have formed nations and devised laws toward making a civil society so to better get along with each other (more or less). Here in America we call ourselves the United States, a sub-unity as opposed to a world unity. Are you saying to me that the former is okay but the latter is a "distraction?"

If your attitude is solely derived from your Bible then you must believe that all our efforts to survive are wasted. Think, man, Christ's attempts at promoting and extending morality is woefully short of getting the job done. Each generation from the "age of miracles" has to some extent succeeded to devise and execute a more efficient moral code . . . in many cases rending Mosaic Law obsolete. Until the so called Armageddon what are we to do -- twiddle our thumbs awaiting the "King of kings?" Here is where reality (as opposed to folklore) grips the road.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

2Dbunk wrote: [Replying to post 4 by JehovahsWitness]
That sounds like so much defeatist talk.

Defeatist or realistic?

If one is an atheists and believe there is no God then saying God's kingdom is the solution is bound to sound like hoping in nothing and effectively ceding to defeat. It's a bit like saying you believe in Donald Trump's party to someone that doesn't believe Trump is a real person. God's kingdom is a real government there is nothing defeatist in voting for "the party" in the lead.

If your attitude is solely derived from your Bible then you must believe that all our efforts to survive are wasted.

Not at all, man has achieved some amazing and wonderful things, we have been given marvelous brains and God expects us to use them. Further' Jehovah’s Witnesses are not anarchists, the bible says human governments do indeed serve a purpose and orders Christians to submit to them, in recognition of what they have achieved and the service they render to humanity. We simply do not believe that human government can bring about eternal peace and security on this our planet earth and look to the one who can.

Until the so called Armageddon what are we to do -- twiddle our thumbs awaiting the "King of kings?"

No we as Christians are charged to be positive members of society, to contribute as best we can to the betterment of the world BUT do so while remaining politically neutral and true to our Christian calling as citizens of a higher authority. We are also charged to preach to everyone on the planet (a humongous task) and campaign for the incoming government. Given the above "twiddling our thumbs" ie doing nothing constructive is not an option.

RELATED POSTS
Will human governments be able to eliminate all suffering one day?
viewtopic.php?p=1062765#p1062765

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JJ50 »

It is sad anyone can believe in such garbage!

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

JJ50 wrote: It is sad anyone can believe in such garbage!
:warning: Moderator Warning

This is uncivil and an unproductive one-liner.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

William
Savant

Six Six Six Not exactly new News.

Post #9

Post by William »

Language does seem to have a connection with numbers.

There are decoders on the internet which are useful for the purpose of getting the number equivalent to any word or phrase and those dealing specifically with 666 are usually formatted with the base 6 (six times table) A=6...Z=156

Many people are superstitious re that number but if one were to start a database and compile words and phrases, there are very interesting results therein which at the very least show that language (which is essentially sound) and symbols (such as the English alphabet, assign symbols to sounds) appear to have a deeper significance than what we otherwise assume.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Six Six Six Not exactly new News.

Post #10

Post by Goat »

William wrote: Language does seem to have a connection with numbers.

There are decoders on the internet which are useful for the purpose of getting the number equivalent to any word or phrase and those dealing specifically with 666 are usually formatted with the base 6 (six times table) A=6...Z=156

Many people are superstitious re that number but if one were to start a database and compile words and phrases, there are very interesting results therein which at the very least show that language (which is essentially sound) and symbols (such as the English alphabet, assign symbols to sounds) appear to have a deeper significance than what we otherwise assume.

In the Jewish tradition, it is known as 'Gematria'> Basically, each letter is assigned a number , based on where it lies in the alphabet. The numbers of the word are added up.

In The Revelation of John, there are two variations of 'the number of the beast'. One is 616, the other is 666. If you look at Caesar Nero, and use the translation from the Aramaic, the Gematria for his name is 666. If you take it from the Greek, it is 616.

Considering the politics of the time, it is quite possible it was a code referring to Nero.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella