If the resurrection of Jesus actually happened,

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

If the resurrection of Jesus actually happened,

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

If the resurrection of Jesus actually happened, and if there were some scientific or historical way that demonstrated the Easter event actually did occur, what would that prove?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: If the resurrection of Jesus actually happened,

Post #2

Post by rikuoamero »

Elijah John wrote: If the resurrection of Jesus actually happened, and if there were some scientific or historical way that demonstrated the Easter event actually did occur, what would that prove?
As you say, it would prove that the man named Jesus rose from the dead. However, I wouldn't suddenly accept that to mean that {insert doctrine} here is true. After all, pretty much all Christian denominations teach that Jesus rose from the dead, but have stark differences elsewhere. Does proving Jesus rose from the dead prove Calvinist doctrine for example (regarding predestination)?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Elijah John wrote: If the resurrection of Jesus actually happened, and if there were some scientific or historical way that demonstrated the Easter event actually did occur, what would that prove?
If a corpse truly and fully dead for upwards of forty hours actually returned to life, at the very least it would prove the existence of the supernatural. Especially if it flew off up into the sky. Because such an occurrence would be well beyond the ability of medical or physical science to explain. Such an occurrence would be supernatural by definition. An actual, genuine, bona fide no doubt about it example of a supernatural occurrence would alter our understanding of reality entirely. Because currently there are NO actual, genuine, bona fide no doubt about it examples of any supernatural occurrences. Not one. Only unverified claims.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Zzyzx »

According to Bible tales, several or many deceased bodies came back to life. This suggests that:

1) 'Resurrections' are no indication that the deceased was 'divine' (or anything more than human)

and/or

2) Bible writers were 'loose with the truth' (told tall tales or repeated them from folklore, legends, myths).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Elijah John
Savant

Post #5

Post by Elijah John »

Zzyzx wrote: .
According to Bible tales, several or many deceased bodies came back to life. This suggests that:

1) 'Resurrections' are no indication that the deceased was 'divine' (or anything more than human)

and/or

2) Bible writers were 'loose with the truth' (told tall tales or repeated them from folklore, legends, myths).
Also, a real resurrection would not even necessarily prove that the Bible is infallible in every single detail.

It would not even prove that the Gospel accounts of the resurrection were 100% accurate in every single detail.

It would only prove that something extradordinary happened, and from a Theistic point of view, that God was with Jesus in a very special way.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

It wouldn't prove anything. In fact, the most rational explanation at that point would be that Jesus never actually died. There are quite a view historical case where people who have been pronounced dead and in some cases even actually buried yet managed to crawl out of their graves.

It simply turns out that they never actually died.

In ancient barbaric Israel it would be very easy to believe that someone who had been pronounced dead wasn't actually dead.

Moreover, if I am faced with either believing that Jesus never actually died versus the idea that some God actually orchestrated this whole thing I'll definitely opt for the idea that Jesus never actually died.

This whole religion portrays a God that I could never respect much less love. I just can't imagine any sane healthy entity doing the things the Biblical God is portrayed as having done. And having Jesus crucified by humans to pay for the sins of mankind is certainly one of the most insane things this God has been attributed with having done.

So any alternative explanation makes far more sense to me than the idea that we were created by the God described by the Hebrew Bible.

To be perfectly honest about it I can't understand why anyone actually believes in this religion. Seriously.

If someone wants to believe in a God Buddhism is a far more sane religion to believe in. So I don't understand why anyone bothers with the Abrahamic religions at all. Other than the fact that these were clearly religions that were socially used to control people via guilt and fear. I mean, I can understand how the religions were used politically. But how anyone can actually take these Abrahamic religions seriously is beyond me.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Firstly it would prove that resurrections are possible.

It would prove there was a power that could bring life back to a person once dead.

And it would give hope to millions that have lost loved ones and yearn to see them again, hold them in their arms, be with them again. It would mean that the bible promises are built on solid realities and the hope of the ressurection on the "last day" will happen.
ACTS 24:15
"having a hope in God, which these men cherish themselves, that there shall certainly be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked." NAS
I did write earlier on this, her is the link in case you missed my post.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 213#832213

[youtube][/youtube]

Further reading: The Resurrection of Jesus—Did It Really Happen?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/maga ... -of-jesus/

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Zzyzx »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Firstly it would prove that resurrections are possible.

It would prove there was a power that could bring life back to a person once dead.

It would prove that a person can die a human and come back to life as a spirit - which in turn would prove that the spirit world exists.
Wouldn't it be nice for Theists (and theistic debaters) if 'resurrections' could be shown to be something other than fanciful tales, fiction, fantasy, legend, myth, folklore, etc?

Unfortunately, verifiable evidence seems to be in short supply -- or NO supply.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 7 by JehovahsWitness]
And it would give hope to millions that have lost loved ones and yearn to see them again, hold them in their arms, be with them again. It would mean that the bible promises are built on solid realities and the hope of the ressurection on the "last day" will happen.
You'll have to explain to me why, upon finding out that Jesus was resurrected, you'd think the same is going to automatically happen for the rest of humanity.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Willum
Savant

Post #10

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 4 by Zzyzx]

Here I disagree - in one of my topics I challenged the forum to assume omniscience and omnipotence, and show, even with these assumptions, that raising the dead was possible.

To summarize the problem: In order to undo bacterial damage and oxygenation, etc., one would have to undo the damage at an atomic level. Tweezers that small, even if they were made of pure energy/light, would do with each restoration, far more damage then they would repair.

Thus far no one proposed a possible mechanism by which resurrection is possible, even being all-knowing and all powerful.

If we grant the assumption, that would mean God could undo reality at a level even "being able to know or do anything," exceeds. Certainly beyond the level of the writers of the Bible to even guess at, and certainly be unable to describe.

So it would mean a great deal, a transcendental great deal.