Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Is the Catholic Church infallible?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

RightReason wrote: But it’s in Scripture. “He who hears you, hears me� “Whatever you bind on earth, shall be bound in heaven�. The Church is the ‘pillar and foundation of truth’ – all Scriptural! This IS how we are hear Christ.
Do these verses refer to the Catholic Church specifically? Is the Catholic Church infallible?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #91

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 89 by tam]

According to the Koran....just kidding...

I am always wondered, despite the admonishing, was Judas really excluded? After all, he did what God wanted and if I read right in the gospels, reluctantly. Christ has to order him to do it, before he does.

Was it right for them to chose Mathias? As 12 thrones had been set by Christ?

As to churches scaring people into staying, very bad , often used. My general reply is, I am not leaving God, I am leaving this church.

tam
Savant

Post #92

Post by tam »

brianbbs67 wrote: [Replying to post 89 by tam]

I am always wondered, despite the admonishing, was Judas really excluded? After all, he did what God wanted and if I read right in the gospels, reluctantly. Christ has to order him to do it, before he does.
I hear you. I don't like to make statements about Judas, because that is between him and Christ and none of my business. I have no reason to think that my Lord did not forgive Judas. And Judas did repent. But he also left (and betrayed Christ) before he could be granted holy spirit. He vacated the place he had been given.

That being said... Christ did not order Judas to betray Him. He ordered Judas to do what he was going to do (what he had already decided to do and set into motion) QUICKLY.

The order was not to DO it... but rather to do it QUICKLY.
Also...

Was it right for them to chose Mathias? As 12 thrones had been set by Christ?
I have wondered that myself. But it was all eleven apostles asking their Lord to show them which He chose to replace Judas, so I cannot imagine that He did not hear and answer them.

So they nominated two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.� Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles. Acts 1:23-26
As to churches scaring people into staying, very bad , often used. My general reply is, I am not leaving God, I am leaving this church.
Yes.

Peace to you and to yours,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
Last edited by tam on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

tam
Savant

Post #93

Post by tam »

deleted

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #94

Post by brianbbs67 »

tam wrote:

I hear you. I don't like to make statements about Judas, because that is between him and Christ and none of my business. I have no reason to think that my Lord did not forgive Judas. And Judas did repent. But he also left (and betrayed Christ) before he could be granted holy spirit. He vacated the place he had been given.

so I cannot imagine that He did not hear and answer them.

.� Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.[/i] Acts 1:23-26

tammy
The whole lot casting thing, leads me to believe they received no answer, so left it to chance...

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #95

Post by dianaiad »

brianbbs67 wrote:
tam wrote:

.� Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.[/i] Acts 1:23-26

tammy
The whole lot casting thing, leads me to believe they received no answer, so left it to chance...
Actually, 'casting lots' was a tried and true method of discerning God's will all through Israelite history, that is, unless God starts talking directly through a burning bush or something equally obvious. Consider the Urim and Thumim, for instance. The OT is full of examples cleromancy.

In the case of Mathias, the problem wasn't that they needed to get God's guidance as to who might be a good apostle; evidently there were several there who were equally qualified for the position. Why not lots?

Jack
Apprentice

Post #96

Post by Jack »

[Replying to brianbbs67]

Regarding the fate of Judas. Matthew 26:24 "The Son of Man will go just as it is written. But woe to him who betrays the Son of Man. It would be better for him if he had not been born." If Jesus said "it would be better for him if he was never born ," it definitely looks as though he's in hell.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #97

Post by brianbbs67 »

Jack wrote: [Replying to brianbbs67]

Regarding the fate of Judas. Matthew 26:24 "The Son of Man will go just as it is written. But woe to him who betrays the Son of Man. It would be better for him if he had not been born." If Jesus said "it would be better for him if he was never born ," it definitely looks as though he's in hell.
Don't get me wrong. I do not defend Judas Iscariat. The scripture is what it is. But, if God forgives all, if humbly asked, Could not Judas be forgiven?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #98

Post by brianbbs67 »

dianaiad wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:
tam wrote:

tammy
Actually, 'casting lots' was a tried and true method of discerning God's will all through Israelite history, that is, unless God starts talking directly through a burning bush or something equally obvious. Consider the Urim and Thumim, for instance. The OT is full of examples cleromancy.

In the case of Mathias, the problem wasn't that they needed to get God's guidance as to who might be a good apostle; evidently there were several there who were equally qualified for the position. Why not lots?

Yes, lots are cast in the OT, usually cause no answer is obvious. Doesn't mean its wrong or right. Its left to chance. I am not sure if that is good as Luck was a false god in the OT.

Is there a good reason to cast lots and live by them?(Scripture)

Jack
Apprentice

Post #99

Post by Jack »

[Replying to post 97 by brianbbs67]

I agree with you but Judas Iscariots actions don't show repentance. He killed himself, he wouldn't face the others after his fall. Instead he comments another sin by murdering himself.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #100

Post by onewithhim »

brianbbs67 wrote:
Jack wrote: [Replying to brianbbs67]

Don't get me wrong. I do not defend Judas Iscariat. The scripture is what it is. But, if God forgives all, if humbly asked, Could not Judas be forgiven?
A person has to be sorry for what he did, that is, true repentance, and then he would not ever to do such a thing again. If a person is not repentant, he will not be forgiven. Why let a person live when they will keep doing wicked things over and over? Is that fair to the people around them who want to be good?

Also, I have to bring attention to the fact, once again, that no one is in a fiery hell. "Hell" is the common grave of mankind, and Judas was put there after he died. He is probably "in" Gehenna as well, even though it isn't a specific PLACE. It is the condition of being completely annihilated....to be no longer in existence. That is what Jesus meant when he said that the wicked were liable to Gehenna. They would end up just like the trash in the burning garbage dump---nothing left of them.