The Greater Insult

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The Greater Insult

Post #1

Post by William »

An interesting and thought provoking video. Please watch and share your thoughts and feelings about this.

Whatever your position of belief.

[yt]ttevamkS6gw[/yt]

From the blurb re the video creator;
Even though I’m a nonbeliever, would I be scared to learn that God really does exist? No. Far from it. The belief that God desires praise, worship, and violent retribution, comes from a lack of understanding about what it’s like to be an enlightened being. It is ignorance projecting ignorance.

The theist view of God is actually far more insulting than the atheist view. It is commonly held that the atheist is the offensive one, that the nonbeliever must walk on eggshells, and be considerate of the beliefs of others. That seems backwards to me. What if there is a god and that god is offended at the thought of people believing he desires worship and praise, demands it even, for eternity - like some petty narcissist? What if that god is disappointed in those who expected him to torture their enemies? What if the believers and the nonbelievers are made to face their creator, and it is the believers who must answer for their offensive beliefs? Even if that’s the case, I don’t think any of us would have anything to worry about, believer and nonbeliever alike, because any mind capable of creating this universe would be enlightened to the point of being beyond such petty concerns.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

I've seen this video before. I personally think it's an extremely bad video. The God in this video wouldn't be much better than the Biblical God. Why is he waiting until people die to reveal to them the truth?

That's my reaction to this video.

There are just too many things that a supposedly omnipotent omniscient God should have been doing throughout the history of humankind. The idea that any God could justify himself at this late date is pretty silly, IMHO.

This video was clearly made by an atheist trying to make the point that believing in the Biblical God would be an insult to any actual God that might exist. I agree. But the problem with the video is that it basically assumes that such a personal judgemental monotheistic designer God actually exists anyway. :roll:

So I see this video itself as being quite silly. Even though I agree with that point it is trying to make.

I have always said that if there is a God who values decency that God would clearly be far more impressed by a decent atheist than by a decent theists who is being good because they believe in a God.

In fact, there are many theists who actually have debated publicly that if there is no God there would be no reason to be a moral person. :roll:

That only proves the point.

Apparently if they became atheists they would be bad people. In fact, since that is true, then they are actually bad people already just refraining from doing what they would naturally do precisely because they think some God will hold them accountable.

Good atheists hold themselves accountable. This is why, if there existed a God who cars about accountability and moral decency he would be far more pleased with a good atheist than with a good theist.

So I agree with the gist of the video, but not with the behavior of a supposedly omnipotent God who has been watching humans and never doing anything to improve the situation.

For me that doesn't represent a very bright God.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

steveb1
Scholar

Re: The Greater Insult

Post #3

Post by steveb1 »

[Replying to post 1 by William]

For me, the worst insult to God is to impute material creation to his nature.

The OP mentions viewing God via his "Creation", but as the saying has it, if nature had a voice, it would lament. Not a good recommendation for a divine creator at all - a "compassionate/wise" creator who created a world that is composed of nothing but mindless cycles of force, wholly indifferent to the sufferings of the sentient beings who are haplessly, helplessly caught up in their grinding gears.

While as a panentheist (not a pantheist) I believe that God is real, I deny that God must be a creator - an idea as silly as saying that the moon must be made of green cheese, or it doesn't exist. There are several spiritual systems and philosophies that hold God to be real, but deny that for God to BE God, "He" must be a creator.

The world is not the artifact of a sentient creator, the heavens do not show forth the glory of any deity, and to impute Nature's cause to a creator deity is, in my view, pejorative to God.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

steveb1 wrote: ...to impute Nature's cause to a creator deity is, in my view, pejorative to God.
Why? What is "pejorative" in creating something material?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

steveb1
Scholar

Post #5

Post by steveb1 »

[Replying to post 4 by JehovahsWitness]

How soon you have forgotten that, because of your dishonesty in refusing to admit your error about the difference between eternal and immortal, after my repeated requests for you to come clean, I ended my communications with you. The decision still applies.

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

[Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

[Replying to post 3 by steveb1]

I think it is interesting that - given the overall idea of the video, the GOD is imaged as a being each of the three humans could all relate to.

The idea that the atheist in the video is someone who didn't spend any time in his life thinking about whether god existed, (and thus arguing with theists about that) had no complaints one way or the other as to the way the universe was.

The video shows the GOD unhappy with the way the theists had thought about him, and it appears the argument is that 'how else could one think about GOD if they thought such a being created this universe?' He must either be cruel, or else had nothing to do with it.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #7

Post by Overcomer »

William wrote:
He must either be cruel, or else had nothing to do with it.
I think there are other options, one being that God is loving and created humankind to be in a loving relationship with him, but human beings rejected that relationship and went their own way, thereby bringing sin into the world, making it the way it is -- damaged and full of woes.

Does the atheist deny the existence of evil in this world? If he doesn't, what explanation does he have for it?

Even more importantly, what solution does the atheist have for evil if he admits that it exists?

Christianity not only offers an explanation for the existence of evil, it offers a viable way of dealing with it in the person of Jesus Christ. No other worldview does the same.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

Overcomer wrote: William wrote:
He must either be cruel, or else had nothing to do with it.
I think there are other options, one being that God is loving and created humankind to be in a loving relationship with him, but human beings rejected that relationship and went their own way, thereby bringing sin into the world, making it the way it is -- damaged and full of woes.
To begin with there is an extreme problem with this ancient claim. Today we know that all the so-called "evils" of the world existed long before humans ever showed up on planet earth. So there's no way that humans having supposedly fallen from grace could be responsible for the evils of the world.
Overcomer wrote: Does the atheist deny the existence of evil in this world? If he doesn't, what explanation does he have for it?
But this is exactly what we would expect from a natural happenstance world. Why would a naturalist think that the world should be perfect? Only if we lived in a perfect world would it make sense to think that it might have been created by some supreme creator.
Overcomer wrote: Even more importantly, what solution does the atheist have for evil if he admits that it exists?
There is no solution for it. We can't change reality. The atheists doesn't need to offer solutions for things that cannot be changed. Even if all humans were removed from planet earth death, disease, natural disasters, and animals eating each other would continue on. We can certainly try to work toward educating humans to behave as best we can, but apparently even that cannot be done with 100% success because humans aren't perfect either.
Overcomer wrote: Christianity not only offers an explanation for the existence of evil, it offers a viable way of dealing with it in the person of Jesus Christ. No other worldview does the same.
But that explanation is clearly false. We know now that humans are not responsible for the ills of the world the we call "evil". Death, disease, animals eating animals, and natural disasters have been occurring on this planet long before humans every appeared. So the explanation that humans brought this on the world is clearly a false man-made myth. So that's not a credible explanation. It's just a myth.

Also even the most devout Christian have been known to do bad things, even committing murder. And certainly committing lesser crimes (or sins). So apparently giving themselves over to an imaginary Jesus that can't be shown to currently exist doesn't work.

So this solution clearly doesn't work. Just look at the child molestation associated with the Catholic Church which claims to be the "Body of Christ".

Face it, the claims this religion makes have never been shown to have any merit at all. How can you call that a "solution" to the problem of evil?

In fact, Christianity doesn't even make any sense anyway, because the idea is that even an evil person can be forgiven by simply accepting Christ as their Lord and Savior. So it doesn't cure evil people, all it does is offer them undeserved amnesty anyway.

This religion doesn't solve any problems. It even has extreme theological problems in its claims. After all, if Jesus is offering sinners free undeserved amnesty and taking them into his heaven, then wouldn't heaven be filled with sinners who never did anything to deserve their place in heaven?

The religion doesn't even make any sense.

Also, you'd need to believe that a decent atheists who never did anything seriously wrong must necessarily be cast into hell simply because he didn't believe the claims that Jesus was the Son of Yahweh.

Christianity makes absolutely no sense at all. It's not even about morality. It's about offering free amnesty to immoral people if they are simply willing to believe that Jesus was the Son of God.

How does that solve the problem of evil?

By the way, there is no such thing as a "Problem of Evil" for secular naturalists. Evil is an expected property of a happenstance world. So it's not a "problem" in this philosophy. To the contrary it's exactly what should be expected.

The so-called "Problem of Evil" only exists for religions that claim that the world was created by a perfect benevolent God. Then it becomes a "problem" to explain how evil came to be if it didn't come from the creator. The solution to that problem is to try to pin the blame onto humans for creating sin and evil. But that is indeed an extremely huge PROBLEM.

If humans were created by a perfect creator, then how could they be anything less than perfect themselves? So Christianity hardly solves the "Problem of Evil".

You're looking at it wrong. You said that Jesus solves the "Problem of Evil" by offering humans undeserved amnesty for being evil. But that doesn't solve the theological "Problem of Evil" which is the problem of how evil ever got started in the first place if humans were supposedly created by a perfect God.

Offering evil humans undeserved amnesty through Christ does not solve the theological "Problem of Evil".
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

William
Savant

Post #9

Post by William »

[Replying to post 3 by steveb1]
While as a panentheist (not a pantheist) I believe that God is real, I deny that God must be a creator - an idea as silly as saying that the moon must be made of green cheese, or it doesn't exist. There are several spiritual systems and philosophies that hold God to be real, but deny that for God to BE God, "He" must be a creator.

The idea is that the universe is not separate from GOD, and since it has a beginning GOD is the most likely reason for it existing.

The diagram above, while it gives an idea as to the differences between theism which separates GOD from the universe and Panentheism, in order to show the main difference in relation to the idea of GOD through the Panentheist lens, I would show it in the following way as well, because it is more accurate...

William
Savant

Post #10

Post by William »

[Replying to post 7 by Overcomer]
I get the impression you did not watch the video in the OP, as you make no mention of it.
Please watch and share your thoughts and feelings about this.

Whatever your position of belief.