A Robot Alligator and God.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

A Robot Alligator and God.

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

Let's say that I build a robot alligator. I design it to look and act just like a real alligator. I program it to attack and devour anything that moves. Then I set it loose into the world.

The robot alligator eventually encounters a human child playing by the edge of the water. The child is moving so the alligator attacks the child and devours the child. Authorities just happen to see the whole event and capture the robot alligator. They quickly discover that it is indeed a robot and not a real alligator. They also discover that I am the one who designed it, built it, programmed it, and set it loose where it could potentially harm humans.

What do you think would happen to me? I would instantly be arrested of course, and viewed as a heinous criminal who had done a very bad thing indeed. I would most likely get life imprisonment or worse.

But just look around at the real world and the real alligators. If the world was created by a God then God has done precisely what I described above. God designed and created alligators that are programmed to attack and eat anything that moves, including humans.

So why is it that, as a human, if I create an alligator and set it loose in the world I am considered to be a heinous criminal, but it's perfectly fine for a God to do precisely the same thing?

Question for Debate: Why the double standard?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

A second thought also occurred to me,...

What if instead of building a robot alligator all I did was raise real alligators and then set them loose in the wild? I'm willing to bet that I could even be charged with criminal charges for just doing that.

I'm certain that if I brought God's Ebola from the Congo to the USA and set it loose here I would definitely be charged as an extremely heinous criminal.
[center]Image
[/center]

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by PinSeeker »

Man brought sin and death into this world, DI. Man. Not God. God's in the process of redeeming said world, and will finally set things right one day. Why doesn't He do it right now? Well, because the fullness of the Gentiles has not been brought in, and True Israel is not yet complete. When will that happen? Well, it'll all happen in the fullness of time, DI. God's time.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

PinSeeker wrote: Man brought sin and death into this world, DI. Man. Not God.
According to your mythology, God brought man into this world. God. Not man.

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by StuartJ »

The thing is, DI, you're not God.

Laws don't apply to God ... even those of the physical universe.

If you could make the sun stand still in the sky so your favourite people have a bit more daylight to kill more people they were exterminating so they could take over their land ...

... people would be inclined to believe that you were beyond the judgement of your human creations ...

... or at least make up unconvincing excuses for you.

Or blame it on Satan for making them angry at you ...
Once we’ve learned and embraced this pervasive biblical truth that God is sovereign over all things, Satan may take a new tactic in his assaults on our faith. The world, the flesh, and the devil may conspire in our suffering to tempt us to be angry at God for bringing or permitting pain and loss into our lives. Such anger at God is always sin in us in some form or fashion.
https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/never-blame-god
No one EVER demonstrates that "God" exists outside their parietal cortex.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by PinSeeker »

Tcg wrote:God brought man into this world. God. Not man.
Right, and man disobeyed God. Man. Disobeyed. God. Gee, I hope I wasn't unclear... :D

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

PinSeeker wrote: Man brought sin and death into this world, DI. Man. Not God. God's in the process of redeeming said world, and will finally set things right one day. Why doesn't He do it right now? Well, because the fullness of the Gentiles has not been brought in, and True Israel is not yet complete. When will that happen? Well, it'll all happen in the fullness of time, DI. God's time.
Sorry PinSeeker, but if this is the best sales pitch you can come up with for your favorite religion all I can say is "No Sale".

Your religion would need to have a pathetically ignorant and stupid God. Why would I buy into a religion that boasts of having such an ignorant and stupid God?

Just because you bought into such an obviously false religion is no reason for me to follow you over that ridiculous cliff. :-k

What you are telling me is that your favorite God cannot be trusted. He's evil, and basically no better than someone like Adolf Hitler. I'm willing to bet that your God casts people who refuse to obey him into a fiery furnace too.

So the God you are trying to sell is no better than Hitler.

Hitler had a "Higher Plan" too. He wanted to make the world "Perfect", filled with only blue-eyed, blond-haired Germans. You might thing that doesn't found very good if you don't happen to be a blue-eyed blond-haired German. But fear not, Hitler has a plan for you! You can be a slave to blue-eyed blond-haired Germans. :D

See, Hitler has a plan for you. And it's not up to you to like that plan. You are supposed to humble yourself, give yourself over entirely to Hitler's WILL, and be thankful for whatever he sees fit to give you in return.

Sound familiar?

Yep, that's your favorite God in a nutshell PinSeeker. Bow down and worship him, love him with all your heart, soul, and mind. And do whatever he commands you to do with out question and be "Grateful" that he isn't killing you. :roll:

Your God in a nutshell.

And if you contract Ebola just say, "Thank you Jesus!".

Don't you dare complain! Jesus knows what's best for you. And you have no clue, because you are just a clueless human who doesn't know anything. You don't dare question the wisdom of Jesus.

That's what you are preaching, whether you realize it or not.

And you expect people to buy such nonsense?

Surely you're joking?
[center]Image
[/center]

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by StuartJ »

PinSeeker wrote: Man brought sin and death into this world, DI. Man. Not God. God's in the process of redeeming said world, and will finally set things right one day. Why doesn't He do it right now? Well, because the fullness of the Gentiles has not been brought in, and True Israel is not yet complete. When will that happen? Well, it'll all happen in the fullness of time, DI. God's time.
I see, it's because of the Eve and the Talking Serpent business ....

And when every Gentile (racist term there) has received a Christian tract, Jesus will be free to burst through the clouds with his armies of angels to exterminate those who thought it was just primitive, superstitious make-believe ...

... or preferred to remain loyal to their own make-believe.

You haven't demonstrated that your "God" is God.

I put it to you that your "God" appears as mythological as anyone else's ...

... and your notion of "redeeming the world" looks like a fraud.

If you are dealing in truth it should be quite straightforward to demonstrate so.
No one EVER demonstrates that "God" exists outside their parietal cortex.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

PinSeeker wrote:
Tcg wrote:God brought man into this world. God. Not man.
Right, and man disobeyed God. Man. Disobeyed. God. Gee, I hope I wasn't unclear... :D
So this is supposed to justify God becoming an evil demon who torments men and curses them with evil curses and suffering?

Sorry PinSeeker, but disobeying someone doesn't justify them becoming an evil criminal. :roll:

What in the world would ever make you think that it would? :-k

If you bought this theology from someone I'd suggest returning it and demanding your money back.
[center]Image
[/center]

Savant

Re: A Robot Alligator and God.

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

Divine Insight wrote: ...
But just look around at the real world and the real alligators. If the world was created by a God then God has done precisely what I described above. God designed and created alligators that are programmed to attack and eat anything that moves, including humans....
Maybe it would be problem, if we would not know to be careful, or we would not be able to be careful. I think we are not helpless idiots, that is why I don’t see alligators as a problem.