Bible vs History

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Bible vs History

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Noah was supposed to live around 4000 years ago, and his flood.

Which means that the entire population of the globe should have begun repopulating about then.
Why is there no evidence of this?

I mean we have great historic not only evidence, but histories of peoples living before, during and after the flood. Even the Americas.

And though dramatic, this is true of other Biblical events. We have the Sumerians positively ignoring Biblical events as if they didn't occur. The Egyptians not seeming to notice plagues and genocide and so on.

One could go through and notice all manner of things that didn't happen from the Bible, Sodom and Gomorrah, and so on. We can even get good dates for when these things were supposed to occur, by how long people lived for these occurrences.

We can also note that these stories did occur in other people's fairy tales.

How do we rectify these three elements - no one noticed these epic events, the dates they failed to occur and they are other people's fairy tales, together with the truth?

Wootah
Savant

Post #11

Post by Wootah »

I'm finding the evidence from Chinese characters interesting.

https://creation.com/cmi-misrepresents- ... e-language

Check out the character for vessel.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Willum
Savant

Re: Bible vs History

Post #12

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 9 by Wootah]
My understanding is that nearly all cultures have a flood story so it isnt true to say no one noticed.
My understanding is that nearly all cultures have a flood MYTH so it isn't true to say no one noticed.

I wonder how much the myth will get toted? There are so many events that didn't happen in so many cultures - an inspection of most fairy tales will lead to a respectable list.

It could be that eight is some kind of support for Noah's ark which had ten people in it, but more likely it is just a number for a merchant craft.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Tart »

Jagella wrote:
Tart wrote:As far as the actual flood goes, I couldn't explain this event, because i just dont know. I think if we actually went back to the author of this event in the Bible we could then see exactly what the writer was writing about, their intentions of writing it, and where they are getting this information from, but none of us can do that. So there is a lot of speculation around this event, of what the Bible is truly talking about, but its speculation...
The Biblical flood myth was stolen from the Epic of Gilgamesh, a much older legend.
Ok that might be what you choose to believe, however i think that is speculation... unless you'd like to prove that...

personally i dont know who wrote about the flood, or why they wrote about it... but id like to know... so heres your chance to show us.

Wootah
Savant

Post #14

Post by Wootah »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 9 by Wootah]
My understanding is that nearly all cultures have a flood story so it isnt true to say no one noticed.
My understanding is that nearly all cultures have a flood MYTH so it isn't true to say no one noticed.

I wonder how much the myth will get toted? There are so many events that didn't happen in so many cultures - an inspection of most fairy tales will lead to a respectable list.

It could be that eight is some kind of support for Noah's ark which had ten people in it, but more likely it is just a number for a merchant craft.
Fairly sure it was 8.

Genesis 7: 13 On that very day Noah and his sons, Shem, Ham and Japheth, together with his wife and the wives of his three sons, entered the ark.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by Jagella »

Tart wrote:
Jagella wrote:
The Biblical flood myth was stolen from the Epic of Gilgamesh, a much older legend.
Ok that might be what you choose to believe, however i think that is speculation... unless you'd like to prove that...
Tart, you're not going to accept any proof that falsifies your religion, but in case I'm wrong, you can very easily check any search engine or Wikipedia to find what flood myth came first.
personally i dont know who wrote about the flood, or why they wrote about it... but id like to know... so heres your chance to show us.
Actually, nobody knows when or where the flood myth originated or who first made it up. We do know, however, that the Bible writers were not the first people to create such a myth.

Savant

Post #16

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: Populations growing and migrating sometime after 4000 BCE, noted by Anthropology. Why what do YOU think?
But what is the evidence for your claims, that is the question.
The problem is, Wikipedia page that claims to know about thousands of years old things, is not really any evidence for anything. But perhaps I just am not gullible enough.

Willum
Savant

Post #17

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 16 by 1213]

Archeology. What is the proof for your claims, 2nd century goat herders who claim they perfectly remember events that didn’t occur?

Willum
Savant

Post #18

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 14 by Wootah]

Now where did I get the idea Noah had four sons? Jeeze that makes the inbreeding ugh much worse.
Anyway, point to you. It is far more likely that the Chinese symbol for boat involves some Hebrew myth than having to do with a normal crew size.

Wait a minute!

Willum
Savant

Post #19

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 16 by 1213]
The problem is, Wikipedia page that claims to know about thousands of years old things, is not really any evidence for anything. But perhaps I just am not gullible enough.
But you are gullible enough to believe a verbal history first recorded 800 years ago is accurate?

:whistle:

Savant

Post #20

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: Archeology.
You don’t seem to understand what evidence means. archeology is not itself any evidence, it is is the study of human activity through the recovery and analysis of material culture.