Post by EBA »

Tell me, what is "The Good News?"

Peace be to all.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #241

Post by Elijah John »

ttruscott wrote: To cut thru all the JW verbiage:
ttruscott wrote: The good news? People are sinners but can be saved from their addiction to sin and the legal consequences of that sin by faith, an unproven hope, in Christ as their Saviour.
Really folks, it is no more complicated than this.
Where does Jesus teach this. Seems to me that he proclaimed the Good News with a series of declarations that began with the words "Blessed are..."

Also, when he read from the Isaiah scroll in the opening chapters of Luke.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #242

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Verbage for some ....GOOD NEWS for those suffering who are looking for hope of a better world!
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Wootah
Savant

Post #243

Post by Wootah »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

Verbage for some ....GOOD NEWS for those suffering who are looking for hope of a better world!

:warning: Moderator Warning

Hi JW,

No more irrelevant images please. They take up bandwidth and thread space and do not fit the idea of civil discourse.

This is a warning and will lead to suspension later if you continue but i appreciate you have been allowed to post these random images for a long time.

Please follow this rule change and enjoy your images privately because we would hate to lose you and the JW perspective.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: What is "The Good News?"

Post #244

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Checkpoint wrote:

God the King created everything...
Yes, I agree; I presume you are here referring to the God of the bible. If so yes, I agree he is the creator.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #245

Post by myth-one.com »

EBA wrote: Tell me, what is "The Good News?"

Peace be to all.

John 3:16 wrote: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that

whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

marco
Savant

Post #246

Post by marco »

myth-one.com wrote:
John 3:16 wrote: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that

whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.[/b][/size]

This is possibly the most awful expression of love ever written. It suggests that a father supervised the humiliation, torture and crucifixion of a son in order to feel better about some slight that was done in the past. It is hard to believe one can construct a system of belief on this that has real love as its central force. Is it any wonder that Christianity gave us the torture and burning of heretics and the murder of women branded as witches?

If this is Good News (I'm having my boy killed!) what can possibly be bad?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #247

Post by myth-one.com »

marco wrote:
myth-one.com wrote:

whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
This is possibly the most awful expression of love ever written. It suggests that a father supervised the humiliation, torture and crucifixion of a son in order to feel better about some slight that was done in the past. It is hard to believe one can construct a system of belief on this that has real love as its central force. Is it any wonder that Christianity gave us the torture and burning of heretics and the murder of women branded as witches?

It wasn't done so that the Father would "feel better about some slight that was done in the past."

It was done "so that whosoever believeth should not die but have everlasting life."

And the Son was totally good with the plan!

I think many humans accept that gaining everlasting life would be good news.

Life is wonderful.

Tcg
Savant

Post #248

Post by Tcg »

marco wrote:

That those who don't agree with such barbarism face an even more dire punishment.

Recently there has been a variety of opinions as to whether the punishment is eternal fire or temporary fire and then permanent nonexistence.

In either case it is a worse outcome than Jesus'. He gave up a long weekend and yet lives still. According to the story anyway.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

marco
Savant

Post #249

Post by marco »

myth-one.com wrote:
It wasn't done so that the Father would "feel better about some slight that was done in the past."

It was done "so that whosoever believeth should not die but have everlasting life."
From bad cometh not good. We can supply as many " so that" clauses as we like, in an effort to make sense of the father having the son killed. In what deranged system is it right to kill an innocent man? The usual explanation is to make up for some theft in a mythical garden.
myth-one.com wrote:
And the Son was totally good with the plan!
The victim's compliance does not justify the intention. Many Aztec victims went willingly to be sacrificed.
myth-one.com wrote:
I think many humans accept that gaining everlasting life would be good news.

The proceeds of a vicious act can hardly be good news, but of course the recipients have no say in the matter. They did nothing to justify Christ's death and nothing to merit any benefits.
myth-one.com wrote:
Life is wonderful.
Many poets have thought so too. We should enjoy the passing seconds, make sense of the natural disasters to which we are heirs and be thankful for the random pieces of good fortune that Fate gives us. Never once in anyone's life does God intrude, even when he is most needed, so why would he show up when the tombstone has been erected? It makes no more sense than having your son killed because a Neanderthal bit an apple or a pear.

Christ probably thought he was the harbinger of new life, which he would prepare in the sky before the end of the first century. He was wrong but it was a nice idea.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #250

Post by myth-one.com »

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)