How do we explain Christ's popularity?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

How do we explain Christ's popularity?

Post #1

Post by marco »

We hear of Jesus being the incarnation of goodness, a man with a smile for everyone, curing a blind beggar on this street and then round the corner banishing leprosy. Sometimes he speaks to wind and wave and they obey. Although he possibly had never learned that water molecules each have two hydrogen atoms with one oxygen, he is able to carry out a piece of chemistry that introduces an entirely different atomic structure, with no Bunsen burner to help him change water to wine.

We can readily accept these and other tales but why do we forget that Christ cursed people who didn't share his views? Presumably all Pharisees weren't whited sepulchres - some were honest scholars. To an extent Christ was all "Me, me, me..." You can't have religion or God or prophets without ME! I am bigger than Abraham - live with it!

Naturally pious people of the time took exception to such boasting and it is not surprising the man came to a bad end. The question is, why and how did deity emerge from Christ's brief stay around Jerusalem?

What aspects of Christ have made him live into the 21st century?

Or are other people responsible for Christ's popularity?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: How do we explain Christ's popularity?

Post #2

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

I think that the violent figure of Christ appeals to a lot of people. They enjoy the thought of their hated enemies burning in hell. Others may just want to cheat death living forever, and they hope Jesus is their ticket to that eternal paradise in the sky.

marco
Savant

Post #3

Post by marco »

Jagella wrote:
I think that the violent figure of Christ appeals to a lot of people. They enjoy the thought of their hated enemies burning in hell. Others may just want to cheat death living forever, and they hope Jesus is their ticket to that eternal paradise in the sky.

To be fair there is always something behind popularity. The Harry Potter books attracted an avalanche of love. The violent side of Jesus may appeal to some while others like the blameless baby or the man who turned the other cheek and died for nameless people.

I am often told that we are STILL discussing Jesus, after 2000 years, as if that proves truth. It illustrates the strength of human desire and you are probably right in your assessment that people who want eternal salvation find it in the Way, the Truth and the Life, or the Good Shepherd.

My view is that one author could not have made Christ, but many have contributed to do so and the figure that is honoured now bears little resemblance to the street preacher he was. Man makes his own miracles.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

It's easy to understand why people cling to gods. They offer a chance to ignore the existential realities we humans face; death, injustice, aloneness, etc. What is harder, at least for me, is to determine why certain gods do a better job of attracting followers who think this god will do these things better than the others.

Is it perhaps because Jesus was presented as more human that the others? A god humans could more easily accept actually exists? Did he address more of the existential realities than other gods or just do so in a more believable way? I honestly don't know, but it's a great question to ponder.

He of course made his club easy to join. No need to reach enlightenment or do anything that required hard work. Just believe and you're a member.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: …We can readily accept these and other tales but why do we forget that Christ cursed people who didn't share his views?
Who has forgot that?
marco wrote:Presumably all Pharisees weren't whited sepulchres - some were honest scholars.
I don’t know any reason to think that it was said that all possible Pharisees were whited sepulchers.
marco wrote: To an extent Christ was all "Me, me, me..." You can't have religion or God or prophets without ME! I am bigger than Abraham - live with it!
Naturally pious people of the time took exception to such boasting and it is not surprising the man came to a bad end. The question is, why and how did deity emerge from Christ's brief stay around Jerusalem?
Telling the truth is not boasting. I have no reason to think that Jesus was “me, me…�. By what the Bible tells, Jesus was not boasting and about “me, me…�. If he would have been that, he would have taken the Satan’s offer and ruled like earthly leaders.
marco wrote:What aspects of Christ have made him live into the 21st century?
I think God is responsible. He made Jesus what he was and that made him person who people have taken as the King of kings. For me, the teachings of Jesus are what makes him great. And I believe they are what makes him popular.

tokutter
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by tokutter »

its the thing right underneath the surface

Christ/Christianity is the 'just say your sorry religion"
.........just bend the knee and kiss the ring and its all
goooooooooooooooood.

its all about what do I get out of this religion........does it serve my needs.

and Christ/Christianity seems to be very malleable.........within my extended
family their is a relative with a personal jesus who hates fags..........and another one who don't care.

its seems jesus is the swiss army knife of saviors

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

1213 wrote:

I don’t know any reason to think that it was said that all possible Pharisees were whited sepulchers.
Then this passage from Matthew is a good one to go by.

Matthew 23:25-30 25"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean. 27"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean."

1213 wrote:

Telling the truth is not boasting. I have no reason to think that Jesus was “me, me…�. By what the Bible tells, Jesus was not boasting and about “me, me…�. If he would have been that, he would have taken the Satan’s offer and ruled like earthly leaders.
A poor example to choose. Jesus was alone in the "wilderness". The metaphorical account is given to signify Christ's preparation for a life of denial. It is not meant to be taken literally. Many of Christ's sayings begin: "I am, perhaps in imitation of God, which is blasphemy. He asks who men think he is and is thrilled by Peter's reply. There is a bit of "me, me,me" there.

1213 wrote:

I think God is responsible. He made Jesus what he was and that made him person who people have taken as the King of kings. For me, the teachings of Jesus are what makes him great. And I believe they are what makes him popular.

I wonder which particular sermon counts as being divine in its articulation. Yes, God is reponsible for everything but man - in God's absence - raises heroes. I think Christ was the model on which later theologians built their miracle man.

marco
Savant

Post #8

Post by marco »

tokutter wrote:
It seems Jesus is the Swiss army knife of saviors

Yes, Jesus has this malleable quality: he can be gentle, he can be firm, he can be merciful, he can be brutal, he can come with a dove or a sword....

To an extent he is the golden calf, powerless of itself, but symbolically potent and thousands have been killed to allow his kingdom to thrive. He said the good tree bears good fruit: the fruit of Christianity is a mix of nastiness and generosity, a batch of religions that dislike each other.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

marco wrote:

Yes, Jesus has this malleable quality: he can be gentle, he can be firm, he can be merciful, he can be brutal, he can come with a dove or a sword....

Yes, but there is a clear delineation between those he is gentle to and those who he will murder with a sword. Believe and be saved. Reject Jesus and suffer fire, death, and destruction.

He is not any different than any other despot. Follow me or die.

Those who follow show little or no regard for the perishing. They of course learned that from Jesus who shares the same trait.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #10

Post by Divine Insight »

marco wrote: What aspects of Christ have made him live into the 21st century?
None.
marco wrote: Or are other people responsible for Christ's popularity?
Absolutely. In fact, throughout much of history authoritarians are the ones that promoted Christianity. Not only did they promote it but they made sure that anyone who dared to speak out against it would be publicly humiliated and chastise at the very least. Horribly maimed or killed at worst.

Christianity became popular for the same reasons the Islam became popular.

Would you ask what aspects of Mohammad made him live into the 21st century? Probably not because you probably don't think of Islam as being all about a fascination with Mohammad. Similarly Christianity is not a fascination with Christ even though a lot of modern day "Jesus Freaks" would like for that to be true.

But no, Christianity was never about a fascination with Jesus. It was always about an oppressive religion that was quick to chastise anyone who spoke out against it. Jesus is just the puppet that Christianity uses to justify its religious arrogance.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]