Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Christianity Defined

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

I found an “internet meme� courtesy of Richard Carrier that provided what might be described as a “clothes-off� definition of Christianity. My paraphrase of that definition is the following:
  • Christianity - the belief that some cosmic Jewish Guy-in-the-Sky who got a virgin pregnant with himself without a penis can make you live forever if you pretend to eat his flesh and drink his blood and also tell him telepathically that you accept him as your master to be obeyed at all cost even to the point of death the purpose of doing so being to have him remove an independent, self-sufficient attitude from your mind that all people are born with and need to survive because a woman born as a rib was convinced by a talking snake to eat some fruit growing on a tree that magically gave her the ability to understand what is good and what is evil.
(Note that the vast majority of scholars are completely convinced that the Jewish Guy urging symbolic cannibalism and vampirism existed although many of them do not insist that his being in the sky and getting a virgin pregnant with himself is necessarily historical.)

Question for Debate: Can anybody here point out any inaccuracies in this definition?

Yes, it's an absurd idea, but it is what Christians believe!

John Human
Scholar

Post #81

Post by John Human »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
rikuoamero wrote:
... the Jehovah's Witnesses sect looks forward to an Armageddon where billions of people die.
Excuse me! But I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and I can assure you we don't look forward to anybody dying!

We are taught to be loving and kind ( not hostile) to everyone even those that are unkind to us and I have never read in any of our literature or heard in any of our bible classes anyone that expressed a desire that people die. More than that you will never find anything that even hints that we enjoy the notion of hatred, violence or the death of any people.

Indeed we spend many billions of hours in unpaid volunteer work helping people to live and offering aid during natural disasters and emergencies. Jehovah's Witnesses live by the command from our leader that we must love our neighbours like ourselves and millions of people that have friends, family members, partners or workmates that are JWs can testify that isn't just rhetoric. We live our religion, and our religion is based on love, love of God and live of neighbour.

I don't know what this discussion is about and I don't care to, but I do insist on clearing up this point. Since JWs are a minority, it's misunderstandings like this that leads to acts of violence against our women and children, something I'm sure the good people of this forum abhor.

Thank you for your time,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
The blanket condemnation of Christianity by rikuoamero, Divine Insight, and clownboat (comparing to abettors of murderous bank robbers, etc.) did not specifically mention Jehovah's Witnesses; see this thread: viewtopic.php?t=35505&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I make no pretense of being a Christian. I have described my spiritual journey in the "Outer Darkness" sub-forum.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #82

Post by JehovahsWitness »

John Human wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
rikuoamero wrote:
... the Jehovah's Witnesses sect looks forward to an Armageddon where billions of people die.
Excuse me! But I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and I can assure you we don't look forward to anybody dying!

We are taught to be loving and kind ( not hostile) to everyone even those that are unkind to us and I have never read in any of our literature or heard in any of our bible classes anyone that expressed a desire that people die. More than that you will never find anything that even hints that we enjoy the notion of hatred, violence or the death of any people.

Indeed we spend many billions of hours in unpaid volunteer work helping people to live and offering aid during natural disasters and emergencies. Jehovah's Witnesses live by the command from our leader that we must love our neighbours like ourselves and millions of people that have friends, family members, partners or workmates that are JWs can testify that isn't just rhetoric. We live our religion, and our religion is based on love, love of God and live of neighbour.

I don't know what this discussion is about and I don't care to, but I do insist on clearing up this point. Since JWs are a minority, it's misunderstandings like this that leads to acts of violence against our women and children, something I'm sure the good people of this forum abhor.

Thank you for your time,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
The blanket condemnation of Christianity by rikuoamero, Divine Insight, and clownboat (comparing to abettors of murderous bank robbers, etc.) did not specifically mention Jehovah's Witnesses; see this thread: viewtopic.php?t=35505&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I make no pretense of being a Christian. I have described my spiritual journey in the "Outer Darkness" sub-forum.
I appreciate that John, I cannot say I understand why my religion specifically came up in this discussion but I felt moved by the spirit to respond since we were. The internet often gives rise to extreme behaviour, sometimes it's best to just step away from the keyboard and go play with your kids or your dog... or go look up at a starry sky and just be.

Regards,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #83

Post by rikuoamero »

John Human wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
rikuoamero wrote:

Thank you for your time,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

Which is worse - my condemnation of a religion, a line of thought, a worldview...or Christianity's condemnation of the entire human species (minus those who accept and/or aid in the torture and execution of their innocent messiah)?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #84

Post by rikuoamero »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
John Human wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
rikuoamero wrote:

Thank you for your time,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

I appreciate that John, I cannot say I understand why my religion specifically came up in this discussion but I felt moved by the spirit to respond since we were. The internet often gives rise to extreme behaviour, sometimes it's best to just step away from the keyboard and go play with your kids or your dog... or go look up at a starry sky and just be.

Regards,

JW
In truth, there was no real reason. I was typing a response, I suddenly remembered a description of Armageddon from the JW point of view I had read before and what they say will happen afterwards, and so typed what I typed.
As for "extreme behaviour"...? Again, really? Look at the two of us, and tell site members which one of us believes that there is going to be one day be a global conflict, with his/her master on one side who will apparently end up killing millions or billions?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #85

Post by Jagella »

JehovahsWitness wrote:Excuse me! But I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and I can assure you we don't look forward to anybody dying!
While it may be true that most Jehovah's Witnesses don't really look forward to people dying, they do look forward to a "paradise earth" built on the charred corpses of people they see as wicked and on the rubble of what used to be those people's homes, hospitals, and places of business. So for these Jehovah's Witnesses the death of billions of people and world-wide destruction is the price to pay for paradise.

Personally, I'd take the world as it is. Nobody needs to die for it.

tam
Savant

Post #86

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
[Replying to post 85 by Jagella]

Personally, I'd take the world as it is. Nobody needs to die for it.

Countless people die for the world 'as it is', each and every day. From war, murder, starvation, disease, accidental deaths, suicides, etc. Not to mention those whose suffering is enough that they long for death (some of these resulting in suicide, some of these resulting in drugs or other harmful behaviors).

**Please note that I am not agreeing with the JW erroneous teaching of "Armageddon". My Lord does not teach what they teach, nor does He return to kill people. He is the LIFE.

Peace again to you.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #87

Post by Zzyzx »

tam wrote: Countless people die for the world 'as it is', each and every day.
I think we are safe to say that everyone dies -- some peacefully, some not so peaceful. No 'gods' or 'apocalypse' required.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #88

Post by Jagella »

tam wrote:Countless people die for the world 'as it is', each and every day. From war, murder, starvation, disease, accidental deaths, suicides, etc. Not to mention those whose suffering is enough that they long for death (some of these resulting in suicide, some of these resulting in drugs or other harmful behaviors).
Yes, it's terrible what goes on in this world, but overall there is far more good than bad. Compared to the Christian vision we read in Matthew 24 and in Revelation, this world is a picnic. I suppose it's a matter of personal choice, but I prefer this world over anything Christianity has to offer. Jesus preached a truly horrible future for humankind.
**Please note that I am not agreeing with the JW erroneous teaching of "Armageddon". My Lord does not teach what they teach, nor does He return to kill people. He is the LIFE.
The next time you chat with Christ, you need to explain to him that he's really confusing people. Tell him that although he may be "the LIFE," people are reading the gospel and hoping for death.

tam
Savant

Post #89

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Jagella wrote:
tam wrote:Countless people die for the world 'as it is', each and every day. From war, murder, starvation, disease, accidental deaths, suicides, etc. Not to mention those whose suffering is enough that they long for death (some of these resulting in suicide, some of these resulting in drugs or other harmful behaviors).
Yes, it's terrible what goes on in this world, but overall there is far more good than bad. Compared to the Christian vision we read in Matthew 24 and in Revelation, this world is a picnic.
The point is of course that there is no death or suffering or mourning or tears in the Kingdom.

Unlike in this world 'as it is'.

As for the details of that "Christian vision", I suspect those details are merely yours (or others') interpretation.

I suppose it's a matter of personal choice, but I prefer this world over anything Christianity has to offer.

Well, I don't blame you... even though "Christianity" (the religion) is in fact a part of this world. Regardless, what "Christianity" has to offer is much different than what Christ and His Father have to offer.
[Jesus] preached a truly horrible future for humankind.

Would you like to list some things so I know what you are referring to?
The next time you chat with Christ, you need to explain to him that he's really confusing people.

How could He be the one confusing people when those same people are not listening to Him to begin with?

Tell him that although he may be "the LIFE," people are reading the gospel and hoping for death.

What people?

How does that even make sense?

Peace again to you!

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #90

Post by Jagella »

tam wrote:The point is of course that there is no death or suffering or mourning or tears in the Kingdom.
If I was there in "the Kingdom," then I would mourn the loss of those billions of people killed and, depending on your theology, burning in hell. I would suffer knowing that many of my friends and people I respect and even revere would be forever lost. I might even shed tears over the world-wide destruction of all non-Christian cultures.

So would you be happy knowing that societies all over the world were destroyed and that billions of men, women, and children had died?
As for the details of that "Christian vision", I suspect those details are merely yours (or others') interpretation.
Yes, I must struggle with my own very imperfect "interpretation" of the Bible reading it, coming to my own conclusions, and then having apologists tell me I'm lying if I disagree with what they say the Bible says.
Well, I don't blame you... even though "Christianity" (the religion) is in fact a part of this world.
Weren't Moses, the Temple, and Christ part of this world too? But I do understand that you say that you are a Christian but not "in Christianity." I'm not sure what that means, but you did say it.
[Jesus] preached a truly horrible future for humankind.
Would you like to list some things so I know what you are referring to?
Oh boy--here we go again! Get ready to tell me that what I say I've read is "false." Let's start with Matthew 10:28 (NRSV):
Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
So Jesus/God is going to be killing a lot of "souls and bodies" in hell. I'd prefer that that would never happen. I think it's horrible.

There's a more detailed version of this horror in Luke 12:5 (NRSV)
But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him!
Here we are told that Jesus/God after killing people will cast them into hell. Again, that's a terrible vision of the future courtesy of Christ.
The next time you chat with Christ, you need to explain to him that he's really confusing people.
How could He be the one confusing people when those same people are not listening to Him to begin with?
So Jehovah's Witnesses aren't listening to Christ? I'm not so sure about their not listening to him. Jehovah's Witnesses are avid Bible readers and place tremendous emphasis on what they read in it. So it's only fair to give them "credit" for trying to understand the gospel. If they have read the Bible--and they do read the Bible--then they've done their part. If they're still confused, then the blame lies with those who have written the Bible.
Tell him that although he may be "the LIFE," people are reading the gospel and hoping for death.
What people?

How does that even make sense?
I've known at least one Christian who wanted to die. Death for her was an escape from her earthly troubles. She told me she wanted to be "with Jesus," and to get to him she, of course, needed to die.

In any case, based on the gospel message and assuming we believe it, we are all better off dead!