Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Topaz27
Student

Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #1

Post by Topaz27 »

I know a bunch of Christians, and so many of them believe that Noah's Ark is a myth. Basically just a story to teach morals and lessons. I personally see a lot of things wrong with the story of the flood. So I was wondering, if anyone believes the story of Noah's Ark, and the world flood, to be the truth?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #191

Post by Eloi »

Abraham was the tenth generation from Noah through Shem and was born 352 years after the Deluge, in 2018 B.C.E.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200000060

Jacob, named Israel later, was one of the grandchildren of Abraham, and his descendants were known as Israelites. Jews is the name that the whole, or a part (specifically the inhabitants of the tribal territory of Judah and Benjamin, two of the 12 Israel's sons) of the nation of descendants of Israel.

Jacob (later Israel) ...
A son of Isaac and Rebekah. God later gave him the name Israel, and he became the patriarch of the people of Israel (also called Israelites and later, Jews). He was the father of the 12 sons who, along with their descendants, made up the 12 tribes of the nation of Israel. The name Jacob continued to be used for the nation or people of Israel.​—Ge 32:28; Mt 22:32.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1001077150

Jewish DNA has nothing to do with Noah, since every single man on the planet in this moment is a descendant of Noah, not Israel, born too many years after Noah, when the Earth was already full of other descendants of Noah who has nothing to do with Israel or Jewish DNA.

I don't need to read anything about DNA to know that Noah was not a Jewish since they appear on Earth so many years after him. That is something basic to know for a person who wants to post a comment about what the Bible says about Noah, Israel, etc. You may need some time to study a little before posting comments ...
Last edited by Eloi on Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #192

Post by Difflugia »

Donray wrote:So, tell me why ALL the humans don't have Jewish DNA???????
Noachic DNA wouldn't be "Jewish." If we allow "Jewish" to mean "Hebrew" (as I think you mean), then the founder of the "Hebrews" is Eber, great grandson of Shem. DNA shared between Hebrews and, say, Egyptians (through Mizraim, son of Ham) would just be the set of DNA sequences shared by all humans. There are DNA sequences that all humans share, so in that sense, one could reasonably say that all humans do share Noah's DNA.

Don't get me wrong; the Noachic pattern is completely at odds with DNA data from real populations. At the very least, Canaanites are not more closely related to Egyptians than to Israelites, for example, as they should be if they are both descended from Ham rather than Shem. I am saying, though, that your demand isn't really meaningful and the creationists are justified in expecting you to reconsider your question.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #193

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to post 192 by Difflugia]
And when you said "the creationists are justified in expecting you to reconsider your question" ... you should specify what being a creationist is, and if anyone who have posted before is a "creationist" or not. Some material for another thread, I guess.
;)

I don't consider myself a creationist; more than that Jehovah's witnesses are NOT creationist.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #194

Post by Difflugia »

Eloi wrote: [Replying to post 192 by Difflugia]
And when you said "the creationists are justified in expecting you to reconsider your question" ... you should specify what being a creationist is, and if anyone who have posted before is a "creationist" or not. Some material for another thread, I guess.
;)

I don't consider myself a creationist; more than that Jehovah's witnesses are NOT creationist.
You're right. I was being sloppy and conflated "believes in the Flood such that all of modern humanity descends from Noah's family" with young-Earth creationism. I know that while there's a lot of overlap between the two groups, they don't imply one another. You've made a fair point.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #195

Post by brianbbs67 »

Difflugia wrote:
Donray wrote:So, tell me why ALL the humans don't have Jewish DNA???????
Noachic DNA wouldn't be "Jewish." If we allow "Jewish" to mean "Hebrew" (as I think you mean), then the founder of the "Hebrews" is Eber, great grandson of Shem. DNA shared between Hebrews and, say, Egyptians (through Mizraim, son of Ham) would just be the set of DNA sequences shared by all humans. There are DNA sequences that all humans share, so in that sense, one could reasonably say that all humans do share Noah's DNA.

Don't get me wrong; the Noachic pattern is completely at odds with DNA data from real populations. At the very least, Canaanites are not more closely related to Egyptians than to Israelites, for example, as they should be if they are both descended from Ham rather than Shem. I am saying, though, that your demand isn't really meaningful and the creationists are justified in expecting you to reconsider your question.

Shouldn't it be an Abrahamic pattern?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #196

Post by Difflugia »

brianbbs67 wrote:Shouldn't it be an Abrahamic pattern?
Both "Jewish" and "Abrahamic" are too small as groups to make any sense at all in terms of the demand ("show that all human DNA is..."). "Hebrew" is the largest group (in terms of biblical genealogy) that could be reasonably (though mistakenly) referred to as "Jewish" and that's why I picked it; it's the largest possible group and it still doesn't include Noah himself.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #197

Post by Checkpoint »

Topaz27 wrote: I know a bunch of Christians, and so many of them believe that Noah's Ark is a myth. Basically just a story to teach morals and lessons. I personally see a lot of things wrong with the story of the flood. So I was wondering, if anyone believes the story of Noah's Ark, and the world flood, to be the truth?
You can count me in; just as you can count Jesus in.

Topaz27
Student

Post #198

Post by Topaz27 »

Yeah I know Jesus believes it, which makes me believe that he isn't the son of God. Because Noah's Ark obviously didn't happen.

Donray
Guru

Post #199

Post by Donray »

Checkpoint wrote:
Topaz27 wrote: I know a bunch of Christians, and so many of them believe that Noah's Ark is a myth. Basically just a story to teach morals and lessons. I personally see a lot of things wrong with the story of the flood. So I was wondering, if anyone believes the story of Noah's Ark, and the world flood, to be the truth?
You can count me in; just as you can count Jesus in.
Can you show us where Jesus said he believed the Noah myth???? Or are you speaking for Jesus???

Topaz27
Student

Post #200

Post by Topaz27 »

[Replying to Donray]

Um yeah it's in the Bible.

Matthew 24:37-39

He obviously believes in Noah's flood...