Slave

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Menotu
Sage

Slave

Post #1

Post by Menotu »

I've seen some on here mention they are 'a slave to Christ'.
Does this mean exactly what it says?
Is it symbolic?
Is it even healthy?
Or should every Christina consider themselves, a 'slave to Christ' in the most strict standards?

Tcg
Savant

Post #31

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote:
Which is it for you: a slave or no free will?
I'll let the wise poster Wootah address this accusation:
Wootah wrote:
This is the awful tactic of accusing someone of something so they have to defend it.
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #32

Post by Wootah »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Menotu wrote:
Red Wolf wrote: Do you Christians want to be God's slave back in the Garden of Eden? Do you want to run naked through God's garden, and then run to God when he whistles? Do you want to lie at God's feet and eat fresh fruit from God's hand?
Sounds very much like a man-dog relationship. But I love my dog and wouldn't allow her to spend a burning eternity. I suppose that's the difference.

Do you believe the God of the bible threatens the disobedient with eternal burning in Hellfire? We are no longer in the dark ages... people have access to scripture now and dont have to believe what that their clergy tell them the bible teaches (thank God!).

I find that most atheists I have talked to hold to the biblical interpretations they were indoctrinated with as children, and true to the nature of indoctrination, will argue for those interpretations even as adults, often never having studied alternatives. Which is a shame since they are rejecting a notion of God their church or priest told them about and may well reconsider if they let go of such unbiblical idea as the immortality of the soul or the existence of a place where such "souls" are tortured.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
I'm going to have to raise this in a new thread. Fyi. :)
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #33

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
I find that most atheists I have talked to hold to the biblical interpretations they were indoctrinated with as children, and true to the nature of indoctrination, will argue for those interpretations even as adults, often never having studied alternatives.
It is astounding when theists claim to know what atheists have or have not studied. What isn't surprising is that they don't include any actual evidence to support their conclusions which are, at least in this case, drawn from an astonishingly small sample.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #34

Post by Wootah »

Tcg wrote:
Wootah wrote:
Wootah wrote:
This is the awful tactic of accusing someone of something so they have to defend it.
Lol. There is a difference between asserting something in an OP and reasoning to a conclusion.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #35

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 26 by Zzyzx]

I'm sorry but marriage was once defined as a man and a woman and that changed. Dictionary definitions are descriptions at a slice in time. Please stop with that.

Everyone on the train this morning knows I am correct.

Tcg
Savant

Post #36

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote:
Tcg wrote:
Wootah wrote:
Wootah wrote:
Lol. There is a difference between asserting something in an OP and reasoning to a conclusion.
Well, don't leave us in suspense. Please describe that difference and how it applies here.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #37

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote:
Everyone on the train this morning knows I am correct.
If this discussion were being held on this train:

You could perhaps have a valid point.

Given that this discussion is being held on a forum that includes those, myself included, that disagree with you, your claim of absolute agreement is invalid.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

amortalman
Site Supporter

Re: Slave

Post #38

Post by amortalman »

Menotu wrote:
amortalman wrote:
Menotu wrote: I've seen some on here mention they are 'a slave to Christ'.
Is it symbolic?
Is it even healthy?
Or should every Christina consider themselves, a 'slave to Christ' in the most strict standards?
Slaves are subject to their master's every whim. Please them or you're gonna get whacked. So yes, Christians are slaves of the god-man.
That doesn't sound like a good relationship at all. At the very least, it's one sided.
It is not a good relationship but better than the Jews had with Yahweh in the Old Testament. He is the most despicable character in all of fiction.

Wootah
Savant

Post #39

Post by Wootah »

Is it symbolic?
Is it even healthy?
I think all Christians should take this literally. Of course, as a sinner, I disobey God constantly but I do aim to be a slave to Christ.

It's healthy. We are all slaves to something or someone. Slavery is a natural condition. What then we should do is try to be conscious of what we are slaves to and what we want to be a slave to?

Jesus says his yoke is light, I think so, I think that is true. I have had many masters in the past and I think Jesus is working out as my best master so far.

Yes they should consider themselves slaves in the most strict standards and do what Jesus said.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #40

Post by Zzyzx »

Wootah wrote:
Is it symbolic?
Is it even healthy?
I think all Christians should take this literally. Of course, as a sinner, I disobey God constantly but I do aim to be a slave to Christ.
According to the Bible it is okay for you to be beaten as long as you don't die immediately.
Wootah wrote: It's healthy. We are all slaves to something or someone. Slavery is a natural condition.
Thanks for showing readers what Christianity has to offer. They'll probably line up for a chance to be slaves.
Wootah wrote: What then we should do is try to be conscious of what we are slaves to and what we want to be a slave to?
I choose personal freedom rather than slavery.
Wootah wrote: Jesus says his yoke is light, I think so, I think that is true.
No wonder many believers are willing to die for their notions – following a dead man.
Wootah wrote: I have had many masters in the past and I think Jesus is working out as my best master so far.
Condolences. A history of slavery must affect one's perspectives.
Wootah wrote: Yes they should consider themselves slaves in the most strict standards and do what Jesus said.
Baptismal line forms at the left – join up and become a slave.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence