A world without Religion
Moderator: Moderators
A world without Religion
Post #1Imagine the banishment of all religions in humanity, what and where would humanity go from there? Would Corporatism become our new God, could Science truly give us hope and morals? Just a thought, what could happen if tomorrow no religions, no spiritual guidance, no form whatsoever of preaching would be allowed about any subject possible? What would the world be like? (I am completely neutral about this.)
Re: A world without Religion
Post #35It would not matter what I say to you so why are you asking?Flail wrote:How do you discern God's purpose? If from a book, how do you determine which Holy Book , from which God or whether the author was accurate? If directly from a God to you, please report precisely what was said with quotation marks and whether there were any witnesses that overheard the communication.Benoni wrote:This is God's purpose in the end.BOgg wrote:Imagine the banishment of all religions in humanity, what and where would humanity go from there? Would Corporatism become our new God, could Science truly give us hope and morals? Just a thought, what could happen if tomorrow no religions, no spiritual guidance, no form whatsoever of preaching would be allowed about any subject possible? What would the world be like? (I am completely neutral about this.)
What was the first religious act in the Garden of Eden?
- JoeyKnothead
- Banned

- Posts: 20879
- Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 am
- Location: Here
- Has thanked: 4093 times
- Been thanked: 2579 times
Post #36
From Post 35:
It usually goes without saying, but in debate we are essentially trying to show folks we speak truth. In this regard then it is common knowledge that upon challenge of claims, one of the best ways to show one speaks truth, is to present evidence for their assertions.
Can you present such evidence, or do you a priori seek to declare your evidence won't be accepted? This is a bit of a slanderous angle, in that you imply folks are unwilling to accept what evidence you may present - all the while not presenting any. How is it even possible to reject evidence one has yet to present?
You made claims. You got challenged.
Are you willing to support your claims?
Are you willing to retract claims for which you can't offer support?
Now, as to the claims, I'll break them down for further analysis...
1- God exists (thoroughness of investigation and all that).
2- God has a "purpose".
I'll leave the referned material regarding what constitutes such "purpose" for after we establish the truthfulness of the above.
So we can determine the veracity of your claims.Benoni wrote:It would not matter what I say to you so why are you asking?Flail wrote: How do you discern God's purpose? If from a book, how do you determine which Holy Book , from which God or whether the author was accurate? If directly from a God to you, please report precisely what was said with quotation marks and whether there were any witnesses that overheard the communication.
It usually goes without saying, but in debate we are essentially trying to show folks we speak truth. In this regard then it is common knowledge that upon challenge of claims, one of the best ways to show one speaks truth, is to present evidence for their assertions.
Can you present such evidence, or do you a priori seek to declare your evidence won't be accepted? This is a bit of a slanderous angle, in that you imply folks are unwilling to accept what evidence you may present - all the while not presenting any. How is it even possible to reject evidence one has yet to present?
You made claims. You got challenged.
Are you willing to support your claims?
Are you willing to retract claims for which you can't offer support?
Now, as to the claims, I'll break them down for further analysis...
Can you offer verifiable evidence for:Benoni, back in Post 32 wrote: This is God's purpose in the end.
1- God exists (thoroughness of investigation and all that).
2- God has a "purpose".
I'll leave the referned material regarding what constitutes such "purpose" for after we establish the truthfulness of the above.
- McCulloch
- Site Supporter
- Posts: 24063
- Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 9:10 pm
- Location: Toronto, ON, CA
- Been thanked: 3 times
Re: A world without Religion
Post #37Flail wrote: How do you discern God's purpose? If from a book, how do you determine which Holy Book , from which God or whether the author was accurate? If directly from a God to you, please report precisely what was said with quotation marks and whether there were any witnesses that overheard the communication.
But it does matter. If not to Flail then to the other readers of these debates who may be undecided on the issues being debated.Benoni wrote: It would not matter what I say to you so why are you asking?
You have made a claim to know God's purpose. We would like to know how you arrived at such a conclusion.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John
Re: A world without Religion
Post #38I am sure you would but this is the wrong format and forum.McCulloch wrote:Flail wrote: How do you discern God's purpose? If from a book, how do you determine which Holy Book , from which God or whether the author was accurate? If directly from a God to you, please report precisely what was said with quotation marks and whether there were any witnesses that overheard the communication.
But it does matter. If not to Flail then to the other readers of these debates who may be undecided on the issues being debated.Benoni wrote: It would not matter what I say to you so why are you asking?
You have made a claim to know God's purpose. We would like to know how you arrived at such a conclusion.
-
Zzyzx
- Site Supporter
- Posts: 25152
- Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:38 pm
- Location: Bible Belt USA
- Has thanked: 58 times
- Been thanked: 99 times
Re: A world without Religion
Post #39.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 888#302888
I have started another thread "What is god's purpose?" in which you can expound upon your position in the proper format and forum -- and challenge you to attempt to do so.Benoni wrote:I am sure you would but this is the wrong format and forum.McCulloch wrote:You have made a claim to know God's purpose. We would like to know how you arrived at such a conclusion.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 888#302888
Last edited by Zzyzx on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.
Non-Theist
ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence
Non-Theist
ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence
-
Flail
Re: A world without Religion
Post #40You should refrain then, from making truth claims you either cannot or will not support or defend when challenged. If the statement was simply your opinion based upon conjecture without evidence, please amend.Benoni wrote:I am sure you would but this is the wrong format and forum.McCulloch wrote:Flail wrote: How do you discern God's purpose? If from a book, how do you determine which Holy Book , from which God or whether the author was accurate? If directly from a God to you, please report precisely what was said with quotation marks and whether there were any witnesses that overheard the communication.
But it does matter. If not to Flail then to the other readers of these debates who may be undecided on the issues being debated.Benoni wrote: It would not matter what I say to you so why are you asking?
You have made a claim to know God's purpose. We would like to know how you arrived at such a conclusion.
- JoeyKnothead
- Banned

- Posts: 20879
- Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 am
- Location: Here
- Has thanked: 4093 times
- Been thanked: 2579 times
Post #41
I see Benoni has made further comment within this thread that doesn't directly address these claims, so let's call this...joeyknuccione wrote:From Post 35:
So we can determine the veracity of your claims.Benoni wrote:It would not matter what I say to you so why are you asking?Flail wrote: How do you discern God's purpose? If from a book, how do you determine which Holy Book , from which God or whether the author was accurate? If directly from a God to you, please report precisely what was said with quotation marks and whether there were any witnesses that overheard the communication.
It usually goes without saying, but in debate we are essentially trying to show folks we speak truth. In this regard then it is common knowledge that upon challenge of claims, one of the best ways to show one speaks truth, is to present evidence for their assertions.
Can you present such evidence, or do you a priori seek to declare your evidence won't be accepted? This is a bit of a slanderous angle, in that you imply folks are unwilling to accept what evidence you may present - all the while not presenting any. How is it even possible to reject evidence one has yet to present?
You made claims. You got challenged.
Are you willing to support your claims?
Are you willing to retract claims for which you can't offer support?
Now, as to the claims, I'll break them down for further analysis...
Can you offer verifiable evidence for:Benoni, back in Post 32 wrote: This is God's purpose in the end.
1- God exists (thoroughness of investigation and all that).
2- God has a "purpose".
I'll leave the referned material regarding what constitutes such "purpose" for after we establish the truthfulness of the above.
3rd challenge.
Re: A world without Religion
Post #42I do not debate non believers it is a waste of our time.Zzyzx wrote:.I have started another thread "What is god's purpose?" in which you can expound upon your position in the proper format and forum -- and challenge you to attempt to do so.Benoni wrote:I am sure you would but this is the wrong format and forum.McCulloch wrote:You have made a claim to know God's purpose. We would like to know how you arrived at such a conclusion.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 888#302888
- JoeyKnothead
- Banned

- Posts: 20879
- Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 am
- Location: Here
- Has thanked: 4093 times
- Been thanked: 2579 times
Re: A world without Religion
Post #43I read...Benoni wrote: I do not debate non believers it is a waste of our time.
"I don't debate on a debate site."
"I don't have evidence to convince non-believers, so I just claim whatever I want, and to heck with forum rules."
"I have no way of proving anything I say, and refuse to address those who challenge me to show I speak truth."
"Who cares, as long as I can get on with my preaching."
"Hey, a bunny..."
-
Zzyzx
- Site Supporter
- Posts: 25152
- Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:38 pm
- Location: Bible Belt USA
- Has thanked: 58 times
- Been thanked: 99 times
Re: A world without Religion
Post #44Perhaps you do not understand that this is a debate site that welcomes people of all persuasions, beliefs and convictions. Those who are unwilling to debate non-believers are not qualified to debate -- period -- and are encouraged to preach to one another in Holy Huddle to avoid trashing C&A sub-forum.Benoni wrote:I do not debate non believers it is a waste of our time.Zzyzx wrote:.I have started another thread "What is god's purpose?" in which you can expound upon your position in the proper format and forum -- and challenge you to attempt to do so.Benoni wrote:I am sure you would but this is the wrong format and forum.McCulloch wrote:You have made a claim to know God's purpose. We would like to know how you arrived at such a conclusion.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 888#302888
I can understand that some believers might hesitate to attempt to debate non-believers. Their bible tales cannot be supported, so only those who already believe will be convinced that they speak truth -- with no evidence other than the bible tales themselves (used to support themselves), plus conjecture, opinion and dogma.
Edited to add: If I was a theist and realized that I could not defend bible tales and claims, I would NOT MAKE SUCH CLAIMS -- particularly on a DEBATE site. I have enough self respect and respect for others to avoid trashing debate threads with trivia if I have no intention of debating.
.
Non-Theist
ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence
Non-Theist
ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

